1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My slick '65

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My slick '65

Thought I would post up a few pics of my 1965 short bed. I bought this truck about 6 months ago. The previous owner had swapped in a 302 and C6. I drove it like that for a month or so before I decided to put an AOD in it. Made a HUGE difference driving it to work and back. Also bought the wheels and tires that are on it in these pics. I have wanted a set of Americans forever so I figured it was time to pony up and buy them. I recently bought a 76 longbed for parts. The 302 out of it will get freshened up and swapped into my 65 along with the disc brakes, power steering, and a set of drop beams. Should have enough done in a few months to start a build thread. Still needs alot of work but I am having a blast driving it while I work on it! Here are a couple of pics.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
LOVE the look!! Nice truck!! I have always been a fan of those rims.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You'll be even happier with the Torque Thrusts (I bought some too) when you hear that your new disc brakes will fit inside them without the rotors fouling on the rim. If you have a spare wheel/tire you should make sure it comes off of a disc brake truck. Stock '66 wheels were for drum brakes and the rotors will hit - at least mine did.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Nice!..I've been thinking of a set of those wheels for mine but didn't kmow what it would
look like? now I do and it's SWEET!. ps, you can put a washer on each side of the hood
hinges on the front bolts, between the hood and hinge to draw your hood down in the back so it lines up a little better!..Trick I learned on this Site!..it works Great!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM
autobahn45
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That truck has such a great classic look! What are you plans for it?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate it. The wheels definently made a HUGE difference in the look of this truck. It had some nasty wagon spoke wheels that were spray painted red on it when I bought it, so the change was pretty dramatic.

Originally Posted by autobahn45
That truck has such a great classic look! What are you plans for it?
Thanks man. I am kinda old school, so I was going for an early 70's look with this truck. Well, immediate plans are to get the other 302 swapped in, get the power steering hooked up, and get the drop beams and discs installed. When it comes to long term plans, I would like to do a complete frame off. New front clip, axle flip in the rear, body/paint and interior. The works.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Scifi266
Senior User
Awesome truck, and great plan. Been driving my 66 since I was 17 and turned her into a frankentruck. Send plenty of pics of any progress.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Originally Posted by huckdeuceman
Nice!..I've been thinking of a set of those wheels for mine but didn't kmow what it would
look like? now I do and it's SWEET!. ps, you can put a washer on each side of the hood
hinges on the front bolts, between the hood and hinge to draw your hood down in the back so it lines up a little better!..Trick I learned on this Site!..it works Great!
Haha thanks! I honestly didnt even know they had these wheels in our bolt pattern until I called Summit Racing. They only had 2 of the 15x8's in stock. The fronts had to be ordered from American Racing.

I am not sure if the washer trick will work on this hood. The hinges seem to be the problem. I can put some pressure on the hood and it will shut down tighter to close that gap. As I drive and hit bumps in the road it opens back up. I think I just need new hinges.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is just something sexy about the rear of a short bed w/out the bumper. Don't know if I would chance it driving w/out one but it sure looks good to me.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Yah, I . In the process of looking for a stock chrome rear bumper. I like the looks of a roll pan but worry about getting rear ended(I drive this truck a lot!)

Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Gas4blood,
I thought the same thing about my hinges, it seems most of these old trucks have the
same problem if you look at a lot of pic's you'll see the hood popped up in the back.
The hinges are the culprit but I've heard some real ''horror'' stories of peeps replacing
the hinges and have the ''welded nut'' break off behind the cowl'' and no way to get to it...I could also push down on the back of my hood and would close the gap, it's up to you, but the washer thing really does work!!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gas4blood
Yah, I . In the process of looking for a stock chrome rear bumper. I like the looks of a roll pan but worry about getting rear ended(I drive this truck a lot!)
Hey Gas,
Cool truck! They have that rear bumper right there in OKC at Classic Auto Parts on the south side of town for $210. Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Online Catalog

Sometimes you can find them a little cheaper but you'll probably have to pay shipping so it may be a wash. You'll need the brackets & tag lights for it, too.
All the best.
Randy

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Originally Posted by huckdeuceman
Gas4blood,
I thought the same thing about my hinges, it seems most of these old trucks have the
same problem if you look at a lot of pic's you'll see the hood popped up in the back.
The hinges are the culprit but I've heard some real ''horror'' stories of peeps replacing
the hinges and have the ''welded nut'' break off behind the cowl'' and no way to get to it...I could also push down on the back of my hood and would close the gap, it's up to you, but the washer thing really does work!!
Sweet man! I will give it a shot then! Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
Hey Gas,
Cool truck! They have that rear bumper right there in OKC at Classic Auto Parts on the south side of town for $210. Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Online Catalog

Sometimes you can find them a little cheaper but you'll probably have to pay shipping so it may be a wash. You'll need the brackets & tag lights for it, too.
All the best.
Randy
I think they were at the swap meet in Chickasha today. I didn't even think to check them out! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gas4blood
I think they were at the swap meet in Chickasha today. I didn't even think to check them out! Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, sometimes they give nice discounts at the swap meets.

Quick Reply: My slick '65