6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Michelin LTX MS tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Michelin LTX MS tires

Just got off the phone witht he BFG guys and they recommended the above tire for my FX F350. Anyone here familiar with this tire? They recommend replacing all my BFG tires which I hd a tread separation on one this weekend! actually it is the Defender LTX MS they recommended.

TIA

Hank

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The BFG guy recommended a Michelin tire.... that's funny!

I'm running Toyo tires. 30 day money back, no questions asked if you don't like them, warranty to 45k, 21/32 tread and great tread wear.

Have friends with Michelin, they wear good.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Let's see how this goes.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:09 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Last I knew, Michelin owned BFG... I have had good luck with the ones in the subject of the thread, but not on this truck (as in I haven't tried them). I've had good experiences with any Michelin I've run on anything actually.

But don't know anything about the Defenders. My BFGs also had tread delamination from the carcass, on two consecutive sets of AT KOs, though I did try different sizes, and I caught it before they came completely apart. My good friend had a disaster like you (I think it was you) and it tore up his fender/bed and everything in that corner -- he was running BFG Rugged Trails. He got a new set and it happened again with maybe 150 miles on the new tires .

Insurance covered it both times, but that doesn't matter as it shouldn't happen...

We both run Coopers now. And, I've only heard good things about Toyos as well.

Leave the BFGs behind is my advice...

Old 06-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
watson, michelin owns BFG or visa versa. I was sold BFG rugged terrains as a replacement for my OEMS (rugged trail) anyhow the terrains have been discontinued and the guy was surprised that the terrains were recommended in the 1st place but this was almost exactly 4 years ago!

Supposedly theya re going to allow a rebate/discount to replace all the tires! Just dont know how much, also they said they will see if they can help with the repair bill because there was damage but I know dont hold your breath. Anyhow yes I have LTX MS on the rv, they were replacemnt tires for the recalled michelins it came with. Seems to be a decent outfit to work with.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:08 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
If the tires were oversize for the rims or not the correct weight rating for the truck the tire companies walk away from the issue. As we all noted in the other thread, no more BFGs for me.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
If the tires were oversize for the rims or not the correct weight rating for the truck the tire companies walk away from the issue. As we all noted in the other thread, no more BFGs for me.
Jack, this is an important tangent to Hank's thread/issue he has.

My friend that had the identical thing happen was on the specified tires for his truck, both size and 10 ply E rated tires and on the factory rims. The 1st defective tire was UPS'd with tracking back to Michelin and was "lost" by UPS. The second time this happened his insurance company asked him to keep the tire and they would physically take it from him and have it inspected and delivered to Michelin. That one didn't get "lost"...

He got his deductible back, so that means Michelin agreed it was their tire...

Old 06-20-2016, 03:04 PM
1977scoutii
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got them on the f350 now.

They don't have a very aggressive stance or look, but hold up well and ride great.

I'm happy with them.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I know you've already have them but just wanted to add that I have those tires as well. But not Defender. Just LTX MS2. Either way, 30k miles so far and doing fine. I did have some balancing issues early on and Michelin replaced them for free. Turned out to be my driveshaft was out of balance.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I too have them on my truck. They were 2011 take offs that the PO wheeled and dealed and put them on just before I bought it in 2012. I was going to put a set of BFG's on when these wear out, but they will just not wear out. But now I am second guessing that idea. The Michelins do ride good and handle good and wear really good, but traction in the snow is disappointing.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Well guy interesting thread, I got the tires today, was an experience, the lady at sears has dealt with these guys before and knows the tricks required. At any rate we were disconnected, she called back got another person, said they could do nothing about the tires since there was a damage claim on file. She asked to speak to the supervisor/manager and we got a poor connection with a guy that sounded as if in India. He told her the same thing. She gave me the phone I told him THE TECH had told me the tires were no longer available and suggested to go with the defenders. I told him the 3 remaining BFG's had nothing to do with the claim and he agreed. I got 75% adjustment on the 3 and had to buy the 4 that caused all this. Then he went on about my insurance and repairs and I told him, I will buy the tire awaiting their payment for it, but I have a $500 deductable that they can help pay but that I needed the tires now. He agreed the lady got all the authorizations I was told to keep the defective tire pending the claim. So to make a long story short tires on on the truck, ($1000 ouch) with new alignment etc. So now will wait to hear from michelin/bfg. So if you have a similar problem, submit a claimto the manuf would be my advice. BFG has a 6year life per the website, sear only 4. I was 10 days over the 4 year mark.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Michelin does own BF Goodrich. I have had issues with the BF Goodrich tires on the Escape, two sets. Replaced with Michelins and have a smooth ride. I have Michelin M/S 2 series on the Ranger and F350 without any issues. Good ride and long lasting in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
Michelin does own BF Goodrich.
They definitely have since 1988...

I had the Michelin LTX M/S, they were too old and the tread was starting to separate, so I had to buy new ones. The long and short of it is that if plan or even think you might venture off the pavement, don't bother with the LTX M/S.

The BFG KO2's are a dramatic improvement over the old, long running KO's. During the flooding we recently had in Houston, they didn't hydroplane or miss a beat. Off the pavement, these tires have not let me down in sand or the slick stuff. Just keep them properly inflated and rotated every 3,000 miles and they will last. They have a reasonably aggressive tread but great on road manners. I.e. no humming while driving. I run this tire on both my 2001 and 2005 Excursion.

A less aggressive version of the KO2 is the Rugged Terrain. This tire runs the same line as the KO2, just less aggressive but still a good combination of on and off road performance.

The even less aggressive version BFG offers is the Rugged Trail tires that originally came on the FX4 trucks after the Firestone recall. Several people on the boards that had these tires, got 100K out of them with proper rotation and inflation. Jadamsjr had them on his 2005 Excursion and got 100K out of them.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:43 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
They definitely have since 1988...

I had the Michelin LTX M/S, they were too old and the tread was starting to separate, so I had to buy new ones. The long and short of it is that if plan or even think you might venture off the pavement, don't bother with the LTX M/S.

The BFG KO2's are a dramatic improvement over the old, long running KO's. During the flooding we recently had in Houston, they didn't hydroplane or miss a beat. Off the pavement, these tires have not let me down in sand or the slick stuff. Just keep them properly inflated and rotated every 3,000 miles and they will last. They have a reasonably aggressive tread but great on road manners. I.e. no humming while driving. I run this tire on both my 2001 and 2005 Excursion.

A less aggressive version of the KO2 is the Rugged Terrain. This tire runs the same line as the KO2, just less aggressive but still a good combination of on and off road performance.

The even less aggressive version BFG offers is the Rugged Trail tires that originally came on the FX4 trucks after the Firestone recall. Several people on the boards that had these tires, got 100K out of them with proper rotation and inflation. Jadamsjr had them on his 2005 Excursion and got 100K out of them.
And if you want a real tire, dump those little girl BFG and buy some duratracs or toyos.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Duratracs here too. MAndS rating, snowflake engineered, last just as long, more open treat for off reading.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX MS tires