Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
That would be awesome.
Not awesome, BRUTAL1!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now to find one..... since a DT466 isn't practical...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
there are currently 13 listed on www.car-part.com rite now

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plug and play they are not. Difficult is in the eye of the beholder, what is easy to me can be a real PITA to someone else. I personally would not want to do it to a 4x4, but that is me. Sure, you can buy motor mounts and adapter plates, but there is still more to it than that. You don't get a driveshaft with any kit, you have to get them to fit on your own, typically custom made. I didn't want the starter mixed in with the exhaust, so that left me only with the Dodge transmissions. 2 autos later, went to an NV4500, which can be a bear to find at a reasonable price, and can be tough to find parts since the aftermarket support is still weak. They are no longer produced since New Venture is now an old venture... as in history. The Getrags were not the best, and have lackluster support as well. I fabbed my own motor mounts, as well as the trans mounts. I made use of the Dodge radiator, as it solved the issue of how to get the hoses to hook up since the 460 hooked up on opposite sides, and the 460 rad would have required the front assembly be taken apart to get out due to the intercooler blocking the lower rad mounts.. Coming from a diesel will be a little different, as I came from a 460.

Whether to do it or not is purely a personal choice. It is a time and money investment, so it should not be taken lightly. For our needs, it has well paid itself back, but it was done on the cheap, and was intended to tow, which it does well. If you do choose to go forward, I would highly recommend checking out Destroked for the adapter plate, and Autoworld of Montana for the motor mounts.(they appear to have links to Autoworld, had heard they were contracting...)

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fellro86
Plug and play they are not. Difficult is in the eye of the beholder, what is easy to me can be a real PITA to someone else. I personally would not want to do it to a 4x4, but that is me. Sure, you can buy motor mounts and adapter plates, but there is still more to it than that. You don't get a driveshaft with any kit, you have to get them to fit on your own, typically custom made. I didn't want the starter mixed in with the exhaust, so that left me only with the Dodge transmissions. 2 autos later, went to an NV4500, which can be a bear to find at a reasonable price, and can be tough to find parts since the aftermarket support is still weak. They are no longer produced since New Venture is now an old venture... as in history. The Getrags were not the best, and have lackluster support as well. I fabbed my own motor mounts, as well as the trans mounts. I made use of the Dodge radiator, as it solved the issue of how to get the hoses to hook up since the 460 hooked up on opposite sides, and the 460 rad would have required the front assembly be taken apart to get out due to the intercooler blocking the lower rad mounts.. Coming from a diesel will be a little different, as I came from a 460.

Whether to do it or not is purely a personal choice. It is a time and money investment, so it should not be taken lightly. For our needs, it has well paid itself back, but it was done on the cheap, and was intended to tow, which it does well. If you do choose to go forward, I would highly recommend checking out Destroked for the adapter plate, and Autoworld of Montana for the motor mounts.(they appear to have links to Autoworld, had heard they were contracting...)
I'm not sure if it's a rumor or what, but I've always read you have to over fill your Getrag360 from the actual shifter plate in the cab by a quart to a quart and a half. Supposedly Getrag was rushed when Dodge pushed the Cummins out and they mistakenly had the fill plug an inch or so too low. A Getrag360 is a true 5-speed transmission w/o the tiny OD shaft. I'd consider running one with a Cummins swap.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
The p-pumped Cummins is a powerhouse and can be modified heavily and still be reliable. Even stock head bolts can handle roughly 40psi. But on the other hand, you can get a reliable 300 hp out of an idi if you build it a lil bit. And as always an idi is a reliable engine if treated properly...

Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Realtrucksrattle
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
too big. but a DT360 international will fit
A Cat 3208 will fit, just have to beef up the front suspension, it's 300- 400 lbs heavier than the 6.9/7.3

Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Realtrucksrattle
New User
Originally Posted by Realtrucksrattle
A Cat 3208 will fit, just have to beef up the front suspension, it's 300- 400 lbs heavier than the 6.9/7.3
I meant the Cat C7, 7.2 l. They offered it in the f-650 for a couple years. They will fit and i believe the weight 1300-1400 lbs. I've never seen one swapped with a 6.9/7.3, just heard that it can be done.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
stoby
Freshman User
well-i have finally decided to take the leap and proceed w/ the swap. the parts have been ordered. it will involve a complete kit from dsc and some performance goodies sourced from other places. should produce 350 rwhp reliably and w/livable smoke levels. plan on backing the truck in the shop tomorrow and pulling the motor and start prepping/painting on the engine bay while i wait on the new parts

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
please take lots of pics and keep posting. i plan on getting a 12v and starting to build it soon. I figure it will take me till spring just to build the motor and get parts but then i would need as much info as possible on the swap. I think it is great and i don't think it is as hard as some say. I am not sure about the firewall between the IDI and second gen stroke but i just saw a second stroke built with a 12v the other day and no mod to the firewall. He was happy but like everybody wanted more and was getting ready for a twin turbo

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Firewall doesn't change based on engine. At most you might need to fold the lip seam to make the back valve cover easier to get off. I have good clearance all around the motor on the 92.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
Originally Posted by fellro86
Firewall doesn't change based on engine. At most you might neefd to fold the lip seam to make the back valve cover easier to get off. I have good clearance all around the motor on the 92.
thats good news

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search YouTube. There are a lot of vids by guys who have done 12v swaps

Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Originally Posted by stoby
well-i have finally decided to take the leap and proceed w/ the swap. the parts have been ordered. it will involve a complete kit from dsc and some performance goodies sourced from other places. should produce 350 rwhp reliably and w/livable smoke levels. plan on backing the truck in the shop tomorrow and pulling the motor and start prepping/painting on the engine bay while i wait on the new parts

Good Call! I did my Cummins Conversion in 08 and have not regretted it once since. The truck will do whatever I want it to do, Stays at 180 deg, pyro stays under 1000 deg, trans temp, stays at 200, Thats working it pulling the 5th wheel, with the ac on. It just plugs along working at 75% of its capacity, compared to the Banks Turboed IDI that that worked at 95% capacity and I would have to drive by the temp gauge.

The truck is not a radical high horse power build, I wanted good power with reliability and longevity. So everything that I did on it was just mild. It does have P.O.D Injectors, bigger intake on the turbo, LPG, Pump mods, and exhaust. Form the research I have done I believe it is putting down bout 400 hp and 750 tq. It makes me giggle every time I drive it,,..still!

Here is a link to my build, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II - Oilburners.net

Good Luck with the swap!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Realtrucksrattle
New User
I'm planning on doing a 12v swap in my truck, but not till I blow the engine I have now, I need a good excuse, lol. I like my 6.9 with the 4 speed, but hey, who doesn't want more power? Plus the 12v still has a lot of potential, and I want to stay mechanical, not having a mess of computers is nice.

Quick Reply: TO CUMMINS OR NOT TO CUMMIMNS