1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Crew Cab Project Started - LOTS OF PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Thank you! I know it’s a lot of work, and it is appreciated.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Olboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamic - what a great thread.

Originally when I started reading this thread, I thought to myself 'another big idea that won't get completed...' but you sir have made huge strides. Then I saw that you rebuilt the original master cylinder and I thought to myself 'that's going to suck with the factory brakes and original running gear...' then the crown vic showed up and you got my attention. I also now understand why you bolted the 2 frame sections together instead of welding, this way you could adjust to fit the cabs - also a great methodology. When I first saw that it was spliced together with 3/8" bolts I was dubious.

I got a 2007 P71 Crown Vic over the holidays and plan to do the suspension and power train swap as you did but I am going to keep the automatic transmission. I have put nearly 1000 miles on the cop car and it runs excellent and has plenty of 'jam' especially considering my 53 Merc M-100 weights ~1000 lbs less than the crown vic does. I like the simplicity of the way that you mounted the front end and will likely do something similar. Are you happy with the front end height? Why do you think the driveshaft interfered with the cross member? I haven't heard of people having this issue before but then no many people run the crown vic / 4.6 engine mounts with the front end swap. Do you plan to C-notch the rear? Are you going to run an explorer rear diff or narrow yours or widen your rear fenders?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Olboy
Dynamic - what a great thread.

Originally when I started reading this thread, I thought to myself 'another big idea that won't get completed...' but you sir have made huge strides. Then I saw that you rebuilt the original master cylinder and I thought to myself 'that's going to suck with the factory brakes and original running gear...' then the crown vic showed up and you got my attention. I also now understand why you bolted the 2 frame sections together instead of welding, this way you could adjust to fit the cabs - also a great methodology. When I first saw that it was spliced together with 3/8" bolts I was dubious.

I got a 2007 P71 Crown Vic over the holidays and plan to do the suspension and power train swap as you did but I am going to keep the automatic transmission. I have put nearly 1000 miles on the cop car and it runs excellent and has plenty of 'jam' especially considering my 53 Merc M-100 weights ~1000 lbs less than the crown vic does. I like the simplicity of the way that you mounted the front end and will likely do something similar. Are you happy with the front end height? Why do you think the driveshaft interfered with the cross member? I haven't heard of people having this issue before but then no many people run the crown vic / 4.6 engine mounts with the front end swap. Do you plan to C-notch the rear? Are you going to run an explorer rear diff or narrow yours or widen your rear fenders?

Olboy, Thanks for the kind words.

Things have been slow the past year or so due to just simply too many projects. I actually worked on the truck a bit today, but nothing to really show or talk about.

I suspect the interference I had with the cross member is due to my transmission choice, coupled with the height I set the cv suspension in the 56 suspension.

The truck is currently sitting on a explorer disc rear end. Right now no C notch is in the plans. But once its a running driving vehicle I may decide to put in the four link I was planning on. At that point the c notch will be required.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

so.... I haven't made any of the progress.... due to the pictures being messed up by photobucket.

now that I have them all updated and visible, here is some of the progress you missed.

I was able to get the pedal box all tacked up and tested.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Broke out the made in Taiwan inner fenders.

As you can see there are some reinforcements on the original fenders that were not duplicated on the aftermarket duplicates.

You will also come to find that all the bolt holes don't line up. That the pieces may be slightly different than your originals. That they are much thinner than the stock pieces.

marked them using the original fenders I already cut as a template and cut out the openings for the crown vic suspension.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

started installing the dieted crown vic wiring harness.

bolted both sets of harness' together at the firewall.

then ran them under the dash to start routing them.

Hung the fuse panel in approximately its new location

Ran all these under the dash to the center and over to the passenger side kick as needed.

The wiring that will be heading to the back of the truck for things like window switches, tail light wiring, fuel pump, etc were all ran to the center of the dash so it could be hidden under the center console and dropped thru the floor.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:44 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Made a simple bracket for the fuel line an fitting to mount to the chassis. Cut a section of fuel line. installed the an fittings and ran the line to the fuel rail.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Flared some brake lines and ran them from the proportioning valve to the front wheels.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

decided to run the stock air box, so I had to cut a hole in the inner fender for fitment

that will work

Going to have to cut a new hole for the air intake, and extend the rubber tube to the headlight/grill support.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Ran the wiring for the lights, horn, electric fan, and other components down the inner fender and up around it.

I cannot remember what the hell bolts to the lowest hole on the inner fender.

Can some one post a picture?

wires run high up under inner fender.

Had to make a transition from inside the inner fender to across the front of the truck. I didn't want to see any wires behind the grill other than needed wires. so...

I cut a hole at the bottom of the inner fender where the front cross member is. This area will be covered with the new radiator support hanger bracket.

wires run thru hole heading to passenger side mirrored hole.

Under hood fuse panel will go on passenger fender. Just have to decide where.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

The ecm found itself a nice home

fits well where it is. just need to modify the stock bracket.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Looking great. Keep the pictures coming. Glad you are making good progress.
Happy New Year

Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Ok guys. Having a brain fart.

What bolts to the lower hole on the inner fenders. Closest to the cab.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Made some progress

Took out my cardboard template and transferred it to some material I had.

Cut it out and started bending.

Tomorrow I will break out the shrinker and close up the ends. And start making the bolting points for the air box.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It's looking good.

On your inner fender lower rear mounting holes. I believe on the 53-55's, the bracket that you have the upper bolt mounted to extends down to the lower bolt hole too. I'm not sure how it was on the 56's. It's been almost 10 years since I had one.

Quick Reply: 1956 F100 Crew Cab Project Started - LOTS OF PICTURES