1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

do you think they will total my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Iallwork
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's a terrible thing to happen. Glad you are OK. They should have an engine kill button on the passengers side for when the drivers are being idiots. So the passengers can get.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Unfortunately, the driver is likely the boy's father. Along with likely facing criminal charges (which, by all rights, he should), he has to live with this. Wow, how effed up. Prayers, indeed. But that family will need all the prayers it can get, and more.

And the seat belt use info speaks volumes.

As said, truck is a prime candidate for a D60. Hopefully you can take a cash settlement, whether it's for repair, or it's "totalled" and you "buy it back" for scrap (in many states, that does NOT mean a "salvage title", because the title never changes hands or changes status). Esp. since it's such a pristine truck, and a two-tone to boot.

Yeah, pray for that family, but don't lose focus on your truck.

This does make us reflect on what's replaceable in this world and what's not....

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
well im pretty sore today. didnt realize how much it rocked my body till i woke up this morning. i took a trip out to the auto body shop were its sitting to take a look at it in the daylight. gunna need a axle for sure. its twisted bad. took a few pics in the daylight. now that ive had time to think about it im glad they hit me and not the cobalt that was behind me. had they hit the other car there would have been alot more injuries. the fact that this truck took a 105 mph collision and i walked away from it it is a testiment to how trucks used to be built. with steel and not plastic like todays trucks.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Yeah muscle injuries are weird that way. I got T-boned on my bicycle by no less than a Crown Vic apx. 10 years ago. Nothing broken but sore on one side, no ER, quick clinic check-in, went home, didn't REALLY start hurting 'til next AM. Dunno if it's just physiologically how such injuries set in, or the adrenaline masking the pain initially, or what.

So you're a firefighter? I know it kinda hits close to home when the first responders have to respond to "one of their own".

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats sucks but glad to see your ok

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Unfortunately, the driver is likely the boy's father. Along with likely facing criminal charges (which, by all rights, he should), he has to live with this. Wow, how effed up. Prayers, indeed. But that family will need all the prayers it can get, and more.

And the seat belt use info speaks volumes.

Kinda sound like this story. both her kids are in the ICU with broking backs and other injurys and mom is in her own room with a broke foot WTF. My wife teaches the 7 year old boy and other the person was a off duty cop. I hope they hang her a$$

State Police: Drugs factored into crash

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 630px; HEIGHT: 42px; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.wafb.com/story/15661820/state-police-drugs-factored-into-crash&layout=after&show_faces=false&width=630&heig ht=42&action=recommend&colorscheme=light" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>
Posted:******** type=text/javascript orgFontSize="11px"> wnRenderDate('Monday, October 10, 2011 11:54 PM EST', '', true);*********> Oct 10, 2011 10:54 PM CDT <NOSCRIPT orgFontSize="11px"></NOSCRIPT><!--END wnDate-->Updated:******** type=text/javascript orgFontSize="11px"> wnRenderDate('Monday, October 10, 2011 11:54 PM EST', '', true);*********> Oct 10, 2011 10:54 PM CDT <NOSCRIPT orgFontSize="11px"></NOSCRIPT><!--END wnDate-->By Mike Oliver - email

<!--END WNStoryHeader-->BUECHE, LA (WAFB) -

Two children were hurt in a head-on collision Monday afternoon in West Baton Rouge.
State Police say Shannon Taylor, 30, was driving a pickup south on Bueche Road when she crossed the center line and hit another pickup head-on.
Two kids, ages seven and eight, were riding in Taylor's truck at the time of the crash.
Both drivers and both kids were taken to area hospitals.
Troopers believe drugs played a part in the crash.
Taylor has been charged with second offense DWI, three counts of vehicular negligent injuring and careless operation.
The driver of the other pickup has not been charged.
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are possible.
Copyright 2011 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Wow, what a sad story. I am glad you are ok, and prayers are sent to the family. I cannot imagine how the father will feel when he awakes.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Oh man, no seat belts! That's just wrong!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by madpogue
So you're a firefighter? I know it kinda hits close to home when the first responders have to respond to "one of their own".
Yeah i got out of my truck and ran over not knowing there was a kid in the front seat. no child saftey seat or seat belt used. i saw the father get ejected out the passenger side window and when i looked at the car the the kid was hanging half outside the car. to be honest i didnt give to cents about the father but trying to stablize the kids neck was really hard mentally as i knew what the outcome was going to be for the kid. there were people standing around and i was yelling for help but not one person would. its been a rough last two days. im trying not to blame myself but its hard. its hard enough dealing with kids on the fire department when your not involed but when you played a part in this accident it hits you hard. i did everything in my power to save that kid including calling the medevack. they arrived before the local fire dept did.

i got a call from the state police tonight and the father ( the kids step-father) was on cocain......

im sorry if im going into to many details but i really just need to vent

Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Nothing to apologize for, man; you gotta vent about something like this, we're all ears (well, virtual ears anyway). So did anyone even dial 911 when you asked for help? No one even said "I'm willing to help but I don't know what to do"? With a friggin KID? Wow. Yeah, everyone wants to say "I don't wanna get involved", but it seems like that attitude should go out the window (sorry, bad pun...) when a kid is in the picture. Shoot, I wouldn't know what to do, but I'd be willing to ask.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Id be dead if I was wearing my seatbelt when I rolled my f150.

It should be drivers choice.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn

I am all for the liberty to choose, and if you're old enough to drive, I would tend to agree that you should be old enough to decide whether to wear your seat belt or not, but for A KID!? C'mon man you gotta buckle your kids in... I will even debate the child safety seat thing if that is the debate at hand, but there is something wrong with a parent who doesn't even buckle their kid in, then proceeds to drive 110MPH while high on cocaine. I know the guy will have to deal with that for the rest of his life, but IMO, he has duly earned it. That is a sad, sad pathetic excuse for a parent. Irresponsibility breeds disaster.

madpogue, glad you're alright. Really sorry that you're in the midst of this ugly situation. And I'm with you it makes me sick to think that people wouldn't help with whatever they can in a situation like that. It sounds like you did everything within your power to avoid and then help the situation. And yeah, the driver of the other car is lucky it was your truck and not their car.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaineer27
Yeah i got out of my truck and ran over not knowing there was a kid in the front seat. no child saftey seat or seat belt used. i saw the father get ejected out the passenger side window and when i looked at the car the the kid was hanging half outside the car. to be honest i didnt give to cents about the father but trying to stablize the kids neck was really hard mentally as i knew what the outcome was going to be for the kid. there were people standing around and i was yelling for help but not one person would. its been a rough last two days. im trying not to blame myself but its hard. its hard enough dealing with kids on the fire department when your not involed but when you played a part in this accident it hits you hard. i did everything in my power to save that kid including calling the medevack. they arrived before the local fire dept did.

i got a call from the state police tonight and the father ( the kids step-father) was on cocain......

You did your best man, can't fault yourself for that. I can't believe nobody was willing to help... people disgust me sometimes!

Originally Posted by Talyn

Agreed, but this wasn't the time or place for a post like that.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mountaineer27

You did all that you could do. How could you have known you were about to be struck by the passing car. You are not at fault and you are not to blame. It is sad that this happened. As stated before, if you need to vent your FTE family is here for ya.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
thanks guys. now i guess im gunna have to start looking for parts or a parts truck because it looks like they are going to rule it no fault and i only have liability. so im on my own to pay for it.

Quick Reply: do you think they will total my truck