Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fuel tank strap recall catastrophe!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM
customxl
New User
customxl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel tank strap recall catastrophe!

Just brought my 98 xlt to Ford for the strap recall. I had already replaced the front one two months ago myself. Well when they removed the back one the tank ruptured apparently 3 of the 7 trucks they did that day also did. Now they want $900 for a new tank. I told them it wasn't leaking when I brought it in they should fix it cause obviously the rusty strap caused it....either way we are at an impasse and I have an busted truck all for a safety recall...To top it off I was dealing on a new XTR and the salesman says they prob can't take my truck on the Recycle you Ride program because it's undrivable. I asked for the Ford Cust relations number and will be placing a call shortly...If any of you have a recall notice I would heed this warning I have told my friends with these trucks to check the straps but don't get them changed unless neccesary!!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 PM
jyount
Senior User
jyount is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the damage is due to the effect of the recall Ford is bound to replace it, pretty sure its Federal Mandate.... Let us know about this one..

Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
WOW ,
I just looked on rockauto and for the tank ,it's only a little over 130 bucks!!!!
Dealers SUCK!!!!
Keep on them,,,make them pay!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM
greenmachinejohn
Senior User
greenmachinejohn has a good reputation on FTE.greenmachinejohn has a good reputation on FTE.greenmachinejohn has a good reputation on FTE.
Took my truck in for the recall because the rear of my tank was hanging. Ford denied the recall do to "exsesive rust where the strap hook to the frame". Ford Customer Service deamed my truck "Undrivable" but yet have no way to fix it. I'm with you. I just replaced my tank due to the same issue. cost me $180 +/- Rock auto charges $100+ for shipping better off buying local. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM
jbtecnico1
Senior User
jbtecnico1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for this update. My PA dealer told me to call back in 2-3 weeks when they expect to have the parts...nice customer service, they should call me back! I will do my own inspection first, now, due to this thread...thanks.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 AM
00GT
Elder User
00GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best thing to do is locate a skid plate off one with the offroad pkg then you will never have the worry. My 01 screw has the recall and I'm not taking it in. There's no way for the tank to drop with a skid in place

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 AM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
kbsupercrew is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree 00GT my 2000 f150 4x4 has the skid plate as well Im thinking they are going to zip off the bolts with an impact for the skid and snap them since they are rusted pretty good and then it will be my problem and then I will be upset like customxl is so Im not going to bother with it

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
customxl
New User
talked to sales

they will take my truck on recycle your ride. Tried to call Ford HO but they are only open weekdays. I don't really know what else they will tell me if I gonna dump the truck on them any way.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
customxl
New User
Recycled

Well Ford recycled my truck for 2500 and I took it cause it was rustyyyy....Picked up 2011 SCAB ecoboost XTR.... love the motor just hope it's reliable.....took a chance but liked it way more than the 5litre

Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 AM
grumpy bear
New User
grumpy bear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ruptured tank

The problem with your tank was caused by a "mechanic" (parts installer) who didn't do his job correctly. If the service manager wouldn't fix it talk to the GM, if he won't fix it go to the owner. If he won't fix it or the dealership won't let you speak to him get an attorney and file civil action (not in small claims court, because in small claims court as a business they will be represented by an attorney you can't have legal representation.) It would be much cheaper for them to just hand you the keys to a brand new F150 of your choice than to have a civil trial by jury (which is your constitutional right.) Once you file suit they would be more than willing to fix the problem after you have filed suit, the time for that has passed. Any settlement should have at least 4 figures where they pay for your rental car, attorney fees, lost wages, fix your truck, and give you some extra money for your trouble (that amount depends on you.) A condition of their settlement would probably be that they don't admit that they did wrong and you are to refrain from disclosing details, so get out the bad publicity immediately. After its all said and done I would advise dealing with another dealer.

Thankfully you got the issue resolved without too much trouble, but I sure wouldn't buy from them in the future, they are a bad apple.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 AM
customxl
New User
since I was in the market for a new truck I was easily coerced....I also knew that my box was being held on with ratchet straps rear axle seal was leaking and manifolds ready to pop. There are a lot of these trucks out there and this is gonna happen many times so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 AM
86moneypit
Senior User
86moneypit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im really surprised so many people are having problems, i had mine done under the recall last month, and i told the dealer what about the money i spent to replace the one that rotted out in august. They gave me some paperwork to fill out and ford sent me the money for my straps. So i wouldn't be so apprehensive not all of these recalls are becoming nightmares.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 86moneypit View Post
Im really surprised so many people are having problems, i had mine done under the recall last month, and i told the dealer what about the money i spent to replace the one that rotted out in august. They gave me some paperwork to fill out and ford sent me the money for my straps. So i wouldn't be so apprehensive not all of these recalls are becoming nightmares.
Good point!
I'm sure a lot of it depends on where and what dealer you get it done at.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
rdw516
Senior User
rdw516 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe that most of the issues with recalls are caused by the dealership...not Ford. (But I may be wrong!) I have had several issues with SHEEHY FORD in Richmond,Virginia with mechanical related stuff and them taking care of it when it was a manufacturing problem...not a user problem. I don't think I will ever deal with SHEEHY Ford again because of these incidents (In order for them to effect a repair, it usually requires MULTIPLE WHACKS at it!)

Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
IndySilverAnny is starting off with a positive reputation.
Took mine in, and even though I inspected them when I got the notice and they looked fine, they replaced them anyway... Took 1/2 hour, and no problems at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank strap recall catastrophe!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.