Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fuel tank strap recall catastrophe!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Archion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputationArchion has a superb reputation
900 bucks for a tank is crazy, I know who makes the tanks and we are one of the places the dealers are getting them from... It is NOT an OE tank going back in, Ford/Visteon no longer makes that tank, They closed the plant in Chesapeake, VA several years ago. We are having trouble keeping these two tank part #s in stock due to this recall. The manufacturer actually just sent out a B/O notice this morning.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster
Nitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant future
Here is my experience from today with my '03 F150.

The day after I bought the truck I noticed a smell of gas. I complained to the prior owner who said he knew nothing about it but would send me $100 back for my trouble. I'm not proud - I took it.

Yesterday I brought it to a Ford dealer near Boston that rhymes with Dork Ford and they told me the straps and tank were covered under the recall since the tank was leaking under the straps. Dude calls me back today and tells me Ford denied the tank because it was already leaking when it came in and therefore it wasn't caused by the corroded straps. I waved the BS flag and they told me the service manager even tried to convince Ford to pay for the tank. No luck.

They quoted me $485 parts and labor to fix it. I told them to put my tank back on with the new straps and I would change the tank myself. They weren't happy about that but agreed. There is a radiator place near here that sells gas tanks for great prices. I will get it there even if I have to wait a while for it. Or maybe get it from Fordparts.com. Either way I wasn't paying them to fix it.

I did let them fix the leaky pinion seal for $75. They are a good service department for warranty and (normally) for recall work but when it comes to other repairs, they are expensive and won't give a break on parts at all.

Bottom line in my experience, if your tank is leaking, don't admit it. The guy said if they didn't know about the leak Ford probably would have paid for the tank.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
oncechance
New User
oncechance is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update: Repair

Dropped my truck off in the morning and picked it up around 11:30 am. Everything went well and I now have the new black fuel straps put on. In my case, everything went as it should have. Hope others that venture to get the fix goes as smoothly as mine did.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 PM
customxl
New User
customxl is starting off with a positive reputation.
The reason they wanted so much for the tank was they said they had to also replace the sending unit because it was so rusty they couldn't get it out....needless to say i traded it in for $2500 since the crossmembers on the box were shot the bolts rusted out...the manifold ready to fall off and the axle seals were leaking again. I picked up a XTR SCAB ecoboost on the Xplan and am going to get it Rust Chekd

Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
DJPRacer58
Senior User
DJPRacer58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 00GT View Post
The best thing to do is locate a skid plate off one with the offroad pkg then you will never have the worry. My 01 screw has the recall and I'm not taking it in. There's no way for the tank to drop with a skid in place
i did that, finally my tank leaked everything out. ended up buying a new tank and strap kit aftermarket.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 PM
blue2golf
Senior User
blue2golf is starting off with a positive reputation.
My fuel pump crapped out earlier this summer. Dropped my tank and replaced the pump myself. Everything looked fine so I installed it all back where it belongs. No issues since then and don't expect any. No way I'm going to let the dealer mess with my tank now, recall or not.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 AM
D.R.Moss
New User
D.R.Moss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never want a Ford again

I am having the worst luck with mine:

Sunday I filled up my tank on my 2003 F150 FX4 and the tank strap broke causing the tank to drop on the skid plate and leak, about 2 gallons within a couple hours, filling my driveway with gasoline and the entire outside of the house with fumes. Over the phone I was told if the leak was a direct cause of the straps it would be replaced. They replaced the straps but both Ford Motors and Huntington Ford of Rochester Hills, both refused to replace the leaky tank. They in return suggest that I sign release papers, which I refused and will not until my truck is fixed. I told them I am leaving it in their parking lot until the issue is resolved, they threatened to tow it.

I have contacted everyone about this and they say the tank has to hit the ground before they replace it. Well if I would have known that I would have removed the skid plate and let it fall, that was all that was holding it up. But for all you that say you have the plate so your not worried, that will only hold it up, not keep it from leaking.

I hate Ford right now, I have never been so discusted with costumer service in my life, and my family has driven Fords for generations. Its sad that my life is not worth a few dollars to them.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by D.R.Moss View Post
I am having the worst luck with mine:

Sunday I filled up my tank on my 2003 F150 FX4 and the tank strap broke causing the tank to drop on the skid plate and leak, about 2 gallons within a couple hours, filling my driveway with gasoline and the entire outside of the house with fumes. Over the phone I was told if the leak was a direct cause of the straps it would be replaced. They replaced the straps but both Ford Motors and Huntington Ford of Rochester Hills, both refused to replace the leaky tank. They in return suggest that I sign release papers, which I refused and will not until my truck is fixed. I told them I am leaving it in their parking lot until the issue is resolved, they threatened to tow it.

I have contacted everyone about this and they say the tank has to hit the ground before they replace it. Well if I would have known that I would have removed the skid plate and let it fall, that was all that was holding it up. But for all you that say you have the plate so your not worried, that will only hold it up, not keep it from leaking.

I hate Ford right now, I have never been so discusted with costumer service in my life, and my family has driven Fords for generations. Its sad that my life is not worth a few dollars to them.
I would contact a lawyer and see if he can wright you a threatening letter to send to one of the higher ups in Ford!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Uncle Steve
New User
Uncle Steve is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by greenmachinejohn View Post
Took my truck in for the recall because the rear of my tank was hanging. Ford denied the recall do to "exsesive rust where the strap hook to the frame". Ford Customer Service deamed my truck "Undrivable" but yet have no way to fix it. I'm with you. I just replaced my tank due to the same issue. cost me $180 +/- Rock auto charges $100+ for shipping better off buying local. Good luck and keep us posted.
I had found some parts on Rock Auto and started adding them to a shopping cart. I looked at the cart and discovered 4 separate shipping charges. On less than $100 in parts their freight was $38. Don't think I will order from there.

On my 98 I think I will buy my own tank and straps . I think the 30 gallon tank will fit in place of my 24.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by greenmachinejohn View Post
Took my truck in for the recall because the rear of my tank was hanging. Ford denied the recall do to "exsesive rust where the strap hook to the frame". Ford Customer Service deamed my truck "Undrivable" but yet have no way to fix it. I'm with you. I just replaced my tank due to the same issue. cost me $180 +/- Rock auto charges $100+ for shipping better off buying local. Good luck and keep us posted.

That's funny!
I just did the same on rockauto and the tank is $133.79 and shipping is $14.48. one to 5 days for delivery!
What,,,do you live in China or something? lol

You guys are doing something wrong!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Uncle Steve
New User
Phil I am in Co. I wasn't ordering a tank. I think I had some weatherstripping for my car, a key cylinder for my Ranger, dome light cover for the car, and I forget the other part. It listed 4 separate shipping charges with one being over $20. I have had less freight on heavy farm repairs. That would have been my first order from rock. Guess they won't get my business.

I think rock is doing something wrong.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to all
I just went to Rock Auto site and punched in FORD gas tank--- $!33. plus $24. shipping to central illinois. -- not a bad price... 30 gallon tank was $25. more

Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Ron W.
Elder User
Ron W. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not saying Ford can't screw up but remember that warranty was 3/36 and 6year 100k miles ( which ever comes first ) on the rust through warranty. I thank Ford for doing what they are, hell if it was GM they'ed probably do nothing.

p.s. my 97 had the recall done no problem. Yes there's rust on the tank, hell after 17 years in Minnesota I'm surprised my straps held.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Uncle Steve View Post
Phil I am in Co. I wasn't ordering a tank. I think I had some weatherstripping for my car, a key cylinder for my Ranger, dome light cover for the car, and I forget the other part. It listed 4 separate shipping charges with one being over $20. I have had less freight on heavy farm repairs. That would have been my first order from rock. Guess they won't get my business.

I think rock is doing something wrong.
Hey Steve,
I agree. Something is not right with that. Cliche or something somewhere.
I know Ive ordered many parts from them and never had a problem.
Shipping was always very reasonable and fast.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Uncle Steve
New User
Originally Posted by phil6608 View Post
Hey Steve,
I agree. Something is not right with that. Cliche or something somewhere.
I know Ive ordered many parts from them and never had a problem.
Shipping was always very reasonable and fast.
Phil , I had never encountered multiple shipping charges on a single order. That threw me so I closed the page.

I checked a place I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from for my wife's deer killer. (97 Dodge Dakota she has gotten 2 deer in the 5 miles between our house and town).

partstrain.com

The 30 gallon tank with shipping is just under $150. Adding a new fuel pump, lock ring and the straps bumps it up to about $280.

Went back to rock and checked. The tank was $133, about the same as parts train, but the shipping was $69. Just about $50 more than pt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank strap recall catastrophe!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.