1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'49 F1 Family Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
It won't be like that when it is hooked up, it is just waiting for the hose. The hose will be hard mounted to the frame so there won't be any movement. Once I get the front axle cleaned up and mounted I will put up some more pics so you can see what I mean.
I know what you mean, I saw that and it looked so finished! I got excited and wanted to mention it. Then I thought, " He probably knows better, but just in case...! Just making sure! I would expect the same from anybody here.(mentioning safety issues) Lookin good though!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking REAL good! Sure is nice to see all these projects going on and the passion we have for our old trucks. I can't count how many time I've swerved my car rubber-necking when I see an old truck that catches my eye.... Reckon I better get some of my pics on here one of these days.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it has been slow going lately due to my work schedule and waiting on parts, but I FINALLY have the front axle back under her. I got everything wire wheeled and painted so it looks good.

As I mentioned earlier, I modified the front spring packs by removing 5 of the 8 leaves. I kept the two longest and the 2nd shortest, knowing that it may be less spring than needed. As you can see in the pic below, it was definitely less than I need.

Looks like I get to put a couple springs back in because the springs invert when I step on the frame and the drag link is not parallel. Since I weigh less than the engine (let alone the front clip) I am pretty sure it will be on the bump stops if I use the springs the way they are.

Right now I am waiting on new u-bolts for my springs. I had ordered some from Classic Haulers (they have some for mono springs that are shorter than stock u-bolts). Unfortunately, they sent me the ones for the rear, which are wider and won't work. As soon as I get those I can put a few leafs back in and then it is time to start on the engine (paint and gaskets)!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Friend's F1 had leaves removed like that, same problems. He put them back in until he got his Posies installed.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah I agree. The stock front springs sit almost perfectly horizontal anyway, escpecially if there's an engine sitting on top of them. I'd put them back. Bummer you got the wrong U bolts. They'll straighten it out.

But otherwise, that looks to be a very clean neat job. The Chassis Saver I used on my frame looks pretty much identical to that.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Doc
Bummer you got the wrong U bolts. They'll straighten it out.
I just got off the phone with Classic Haulers and I know first hand why they have such loyal customers. They didn't bat an eye about sending the wrong parts. The right parts are going out in today's mail and they are including a return label for the wrong ones. No arguing, no hassles at all!

I was bummed when I found the wrong u-bolts in the box because I had that happen from an off-road supplier when I ordered some for my 2000 Ford. When I called them they insisted that I told them the wrong part # and refused to do anything, so I was out $40. I hadn't even given them a part #, I just told them what size I needed and they told me what would work and sent it out.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Merry Christmas everyone! Today I got my truck back to a "roller" and was able to push it out into the driveway for the first time in a few months!

Here is where it has lived until today:

And here it is finally outside:

Here's a shot with the new tires/wheels on the back. I know they're dated, but they fit my budget at $60 for both rear tires/wheels.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jeff,
Those wheels & tires look great - that's a really strong aggressive look!
I replaced my front end - I'm real curious how your's drives when you get it going - Are you sticking with drum brakes? I like your budget build - shows a lot of creativity.

Ben in Austin

Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ben73058
Are you sticking with drum brakes? I like your budget build - shows a lot of creativity.
Yes, drum brakes for now because of the budget. I am old enough that my driving has mellowed to the point that I won't be out-driving the stopping ability of the drums.

On another note, I was down to my last $100 in the budget. That $100 will be eaten up by the engine gasket set ($50) and a radiator ($?). I have been selling miscellaneous things around the garage/house to raise money, but I have almost run out of stuff to sell. For Christmas my wife contributed $100 and my dad $50, so I may be able to get a windshield and a few smaller things. If worse come to worse, who needs a windshield anyway, right?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't have a windshield you won't need wipers either

Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by topmoo
If you don't have a windshield you won't need wipers either
Right on! Besides, front shocks are more important than a windshield.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy

....And here it is finally outside:

LOL, I see you have shin guards on the frame horns -- just curious, how many times did you ram you shins against those before you padded them?! Ah, I remember those days... still have the scars.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:16 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
LOL, I see you have shin guards on the frame horns -- just curious, how many times did you ram you shins against those before you padded them?!
Only once, but it was bad enough to draw blood!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
The running board brackets are my personal killers. But the frame horns have said hello as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you still putting in the 52 6 cylinder? I have a 215 in a 52 up back and the mount is at the front of the engine. If you look at the picture of your original mounts the 52 has another set of holes just like you have for the V8 a few inches behind the cross member.
If you need some pictures let me know and I can send them to you.

Paul

Quick Reply: '49 F1 Family Project