Sponsored by:

Yes...Another Tow Mirror question LOL

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes...Another Tow Mirror question LOL

Ok, I'm sure everyone is tired of this subject but I'm bumping up against a wall here.

Driving an 01 Ex with power, heated, turn signal paddle style mirrors.

I just got off the phone with Ford (again) and they're telling me they have the two arm style towing mirror to fit my '01 Excursion (part # 3C7Z17682EAA for right mirror and 83EAA for the left).

BUT, they are not sure if the wire harness will work because the mirrors they want to sell me have an electronic telescoping feature. Parts guy sounded confident that the new mirrors will mount just fine, but the harness was iffy.

- Can anyone tell me from experience if the harness is different?

The parts guy also told me that the part description didn't specify that these towing mirrors had the signal built into it, but he was pretty confident that all telescoping towing mirrors had 'em.

- Do all telescoping towing mirrors have the signal built in? Or do I need to keep looking for a pair that specifically says "turn signal."

Thanks everyone!
HD

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
"electronic telescoping feature"? Do you mean that the mirrors will slide in/out for towing and non-towing with a motor? I thought that didn't come out until 2008? Also, there are mirrors that do not come with the turn signals built in.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by jasoncw
"electronic telescoping feature"? Do you mean that the mirrors will slide in/out for towing and non-towing with a motor? I thought that didn't come out until 2008? Also, there are mirrors that do not come with the turn signals built in.
My apologies. The telescoping feature is manual not electronic.

As I continue to plow though all the info here I've found a site called dfuser.com. This guy has a set that looks like OEM Ford Mirrors. They're 2008 but they are listed that they'll fit 99-07 Super Duties and Excursion $900. They have power to the mirror, heat and turn signals (and side markers). This will probably be the one I go with.

I wonder though...what is different about his kit vs just buying them from Ford? I dunno. I'll have to ask.

Later,
HD

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The difference is his kit comes with instructions and any wiring that you need.

Keep checking for prices as you can get the kool view ones for less. I think A-1 auto has em on their site.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exactly. If you buy the 2008 mirrors from Ford, you will have to figure out for yourself (on on here obviously) how to wire them in, since the wiring and connectors are different.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hd883chopper
My apologies. The telescoping feature is manual not electronic.

As I continue to plow though all the info here I've found a site called dfuser.com. This guy has a set that looks like OEM Ford Mirrors. They're 2008 but they are listed that they'll fit 99-07 Super Duties and Excursion $900. They have power to the mirror, heat and turn signals (and side markers). This will probably be the one I go with.

I wonder though...what is different about his kit vs just buying them from Ford? I dunno. I'll have to ask.

Later,
HD
I just got some kool view's for 374 free shipping. With power and heat for an 08-11. Seems like an awful lot to pay if they don't have power fold and telescoping.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you don't care if they have turn signal or not, you can get power heated mirrors off any superduty in a junkyard for under $100. the turnsignal ones are somewhat harder to find. None of them are particularly hard to wire. There are writeups on here concerning the use of the 08 and newer mirrors, which bolt up and offer power folding, which I wish my stock 04 telescopic turn signal towing mirrors had, but its not something I'm gonna pay that much for. Some day I'll find a newer truck in the junkyard and kank its mirrors, then sell my stockers on here to some suckah for $300. lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
If you don't care if they have turn signal or not, you can get power heated mirrors off any superduty in a junkyard for under $100. the turnsignal ones are somewhat harder to find.

Yea that's the sucky part. I'm really stuck on the turn signals. I've got 'em on my stock paddle mirrors and I think they're pretty cool. I just can't beleive I've got to spend another $600 dollars or more just to get the one's with blinkers! Man that sucks

Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd check with local salvage yards... I believe you will eventually be able to find a pair with signals for much less than the price you were quoted.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don`t know about the newer ones, but I installed Ford mirrors on my 02. I ordered them off a VIN I found on ebay for an 07 Lariat or King Ranch with the chrome covers. the 07 mirrors require an outer cover to be ordered, either texture black, body color or chrome! these covers will also have the turn signal in them. I don`t know if the 08 and up mirrors have a seperate cover to be ordered.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM
TXtinct

Got my mirrors in today... Damn these are cool. I've read that you have to cut one of the bolts off for it to fit on the older trucks. Looks like mine has four holes so no cutting necessary. They have a turn signal as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by TXtinct
Got my mirrors in today... Damn these are cool. I've read that you have to cut one of the bolts off for it to fit on the older trucks. Looks like mine has four holes so no cutting necessary. They have a turn signal as well.
Did you order yours through DFusion? If not then where and how much?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
TXtinct

AM auto parts, 374 free shipping, power, heat and all that jazz...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

is it plug and play or do you have to splice wires?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
TXtinct

Not plug n play, I will have to cut...

Quick Reply: Yes...Another Tow Mirror question LOL