Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The skinny on EBPV pedestal gut and plug, already done it - take note

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 PM
79jasper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean, tapping and plugging the feed and return.
Both spots that you welded.

Or would it even be thick enough?
Smallest plug I found was 1/8 inch mip.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 79jasper
I mean, tapping and plugging the feed and return.
Both spots that you welded.

Or would it even be thick enough?
Smallest plug I found was 1/8 inch mip.

I only welded up the feed hole into the chamber. There is two exit ports from the chamber that I did not touch. The small one next to the oil infeed jet is the port to the EBPV solenoid and the other exit is by the actuator arm hole side of the chamber. It is pretty much a slot cut out in the chamber floor. This drain is the port coming from the turbo drain back tot he block AND is the reason why the actuator hole has to be plugged off.

You can see in the pic the jet hole is a two step. The first bigger drilled out section is around 3/16"+. The second step is the "jet" sized hole that is maybe .035"ish. To plug the hole I figured a guy could drill the whole hole threw the size of the first step (3/16", measure this first to make sure, I never did measure it) then tap to whatever thread tap you have of that size and can supply a bolt/screw for. I don't think you are gonna find a pipe thread type plug this small you would need to use a screw or small bolt or set screw and loctite it in and even give a punch next to the hole after the screw is set.

You can see I only welded the jet hole shut. This is the only hole that "needs" to be closed off to keep good oil flow to the turbo. I also mentioned in my first post that a guy could find a ball bearing to fit in the first stepped part of the hole and then use a punch around the edge in a few spots to lock the ball in.

I do wish I would have measured the holes more carefully now and figured out exactly what drill size, tap, and screw to use for the people without welders handy.

In fact if you like, you (or anyone) can send me a pedestal and I will measure everything, drill it out, tap it, and set a screw/bolt/set screw in for them and send it back just simply for the information to be posted for others.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
79jasper
Senior User
Ah I see.
I'll try a BB.
I got the arm hole plugged. Need to grab a 1/2 npt plug, somehow I forgot it.

One last question, what do I do with the solenoid? Do I have to leave it, or can I remove it?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I left mine plugged in and there even though it does nothing after everything is gutted and plugged. Just keeps the computer happy.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM
79jasper
Senior User
Hmmm. Okay.
I'll just snip the wires off.
Won't throw a code on a OBS. At least hasn't.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I have been told by a few that the pics don't work in my OP. Sorry, I use hosting sites and the old pics drop off as I load new pics for other adventures. I will try to post a few of the pics back here to help.

This pic is the oil feed from the motor, you can see the journal feeds the ebpv cylinder/actuator.

The oil feed journal with the end "tooling plug" pulled out. You can see the oil feed journal plumbs into the ebpv solenoid, to activate the ebpv this solenoid closes and the oil back up in the ebpv cylinder pushing the plunger/actuator out.

Here is the oil feed to the turbo, I fed the light from the "in" port on the bottom of the pedestal.

I welded this port shut so the ebpv cylinder will not get any oil and more oil is fed to the turbo.

The actuator arm hole gets tapped and plugged.

The drain back for the turbo flows threw the ebpv cylinder before dumping into the motor.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I have just gutted the valve and tapped/plugged the actuator rod hole on at least a dozen trucks now - dating back to well before this thread. No problems yet! I leave the solenoid plugged in to avoid codes.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I as well leave the solenoid plugged in.

Not that there is any problem with just plugging the actuator arm hole and go but oil pressure/flow to the turbo will drop off slightly if the oil port to the ebpv cylinder is left open.

It is not a big issue as you mentioned many have done it that way for a long time and have no problems. But if a guy already has it apart and cleaned and has the means, plugging the port does help a bit.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Haggs21
Mountain Pass
Pics?

I see you re shared some of the pics since none of them are hosted any longer but If you could relist all the pics you originally shared that would be priceless.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I have all the pics. When I relisted them I uploaded what I thought were the most strait forward and 'covered all' pics.

Which ones are you wanting to see? I can find them and load them up.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Haggs21
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have all the pics. When I relisted them I uploaded what I thought were the most strait forward and 'covered all' pics.

Which ones are you wanting to see? I can find them and load them up.
Took me a bit. But I gots it figured out. Welding the jetted hole tomorrow.
The rest is done

Thank you