1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Whats the last stupid thing you did?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Whats the last stupid thing you did?

Let me start by saying I try hard not to do stupid things! But today my laziness caused me not to notice my personal idiot light flashing in the corner of my minds eye.
I needed to move my rolling chassis that is on skates out of the garage, in order to build the panels for my spray booth. now the lazy part, instead of dropping the chassis on to all 4 tires I left it on skates thinking the top portion of my driveway is flat(ish) I'll put a 8 foot 1x2 as a chock if the truck starts to roll to far! I have done this before but with an air hose as the chock. Now let me back up and say that when I mentioned my plan for the day to my wife, she said "I'll move my truck out of the driveway" (she's smart like that). well as the last skate wheel left the garage it hung up on the expansion joint. so I went around to the high side to give it a push. when it popped out the skate on the opposite end struck the 1x2 and popped it clear across the drive way. No problem the chassis was moving real slow. I just need to get to the down hill side and stop it. So I ran to the down hill side and gave the rear tire a good shove to stop it, good but the engine end is still moving down the driveway and picking up speed moving diagonally across the drive toward my daily driver not good! This put me between the chassis and my daily driver. Well me and the chassis bounced off my toyota and headed down the driveway, with me holding on and trying to slow it down. I was thankful as we exited the driveway and passed my wife's car (no contact) then sailed across the street (no cars coming) and stopped before hopping the curb. No physical injuries and no damage, just a lot of embarrassment. With the help of a neighbor, my wife and a come-along we got it back in the garage.

OK I feel better now!
Thanks for listening to me purge, this may save me from safety hell.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Lucky break there! Go buy a lottery ticket!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure this one has happened to a LOT of us at least once...
Forgot there is no neutral safety switch on these old girls and started it standing on the ground outside the cab in gear. WHOOOPS
Thankfully I was inside the garage and had a big soft wad of cardboard panels behind it to smoosh up against the rear wall and killed the motor. I didn't have to chase it, but I did get put on my ***.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
you call it the last stupid thing you did, i call it wednesday. glad it all worked out for you. how does the saying go? better to be lucky than to be good! i wont bore anyone with my stupid stuff but if it doesnt cost you four times the money or a trip to the e.r., i dont consider it stupid. its just wednesday,.......or thursday....you get the idea.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Nothing big, but when I was dealing with the Jag Ifs, I had the floorjack under there. I lowered the jack all the way down and realized the handle was up against the front crossmember. I couldn't do anything with the jack! it was stuck there! I had no other jack! So I dug out a spare tire jack and had to go from one side to the other to get blocks under it. finally allowing the jack to slide out.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Well, thank guys I feel better already! I guess it could have been worse?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Nothing big, but when I was dealing with the Jag Ifs, I had the floorjack under there. I lowered the jack all the way down and realized the handle was up against the front crossmember. I couldn't do anything with the jack! it was stuck there! I had no other jack! So I dug out a spare tire jack and had to go from one side to the other to get blocks under it. finally allowing the jack to slide out.
Kind of like building a brick wall, but you're on the wrong side of the wall when it's finished.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Can you post it up on YouTube? Please?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
When I was in high school I had a '68 Ford Bronco. Out wheeling in the timber one day after school, I was climbing this hill that I shouldn't have been climbing...I got almost all the way to the top and started to slip the tires a little. I freaked out and gave it a little accelerator, I slid sideways between two big trees. It took two tractors and a backhoe to get it out safely....I thought my dad was gonna kill me in my sleep...I had to ride the bus for awhile on that one...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Ibuzzard;I burned errahh didn't get any photos/videos

Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A trip to the ER like Mark was saying....when I was working on removing the old stock rear end, the Ubolt nuts would not budge even after soaking the for three nights. I commenced to cut the Ubolts with my makita and a cutting wheel. Well, got half way through one bolt and it decides to jam up and before I knew it, the darn thing was climbing up my arm. It chewed through my flannel shirt and long sleeve sweat shirt and into my arm like butter. Blood was spurting out like crazy. Needless to say, my wife insisted on taking me in. First thing the Doc say is " power tools huh?"

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
getting up this morning .....................................

Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 55 f350
getting up this morning .....................................
X5 - This morning my little toe got caught in the bed sheet - It's just a sheet right - So you can just jerk your toe right out - Well the toe nail is gone - there's blood all over the place - The dog wants out NOW It's almost impossible to hop thru the house holding a tissue on your little toe with the dog thinking you want to play - Purple toes without toe nails hurt like hell

Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Ibuzzard;I burned errahh didn't get any photos/videos
A re-creation will work....

I personally have had nightmares of doing this very thing...my driveway is on a pretty good angle so if I ever lost control of a vehicle/chassis it would be gone in a heartbeat. To make sure that doesn't happen, I always tie a heavy rope or chain around the garage post and to the chassis...I have pulled it taut a few times and it feels much better when that happens than it would if it got away.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid???
Well, I borrow my Brother-in-Law's 580 Case Backhoe to move some dirt either here or there, and I'm ready to move out when I realize that I've forgotten some necessary tool. Rather than shut the thing down, and finding no "Parking Brake", I lower the outriggers, and drop the bucket to keep it from rolling down the slight grade it's on. For some unknown reason I looked back as I walk away to see it starting to move...I'm some 25-30 feet away at this time, which I cover in a little over 1 second, and shove the brake pedal with my hand while trying to not be run over by that big rear wheel. She finally stops about 15 feet short of going off the edge of a 60 foot vertical drop through the trees. I got back in the cab and moved it to a safe place, then went and changed my pants.
Unfortunately that's not the only stupid story I have, but I'm exhausted after re-living that one.
Oh, by the way I never told my Brother-in-Law that story...Who would, He'd never let me use the backhoe again, after he beat the s**t out of me.

Quick Reply: Whats the last stupid thing you did?