1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Whats the last stupid thing you did?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
DumbLuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
,,,,,,,,and it's only 7:45am,,,,,,,,

Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
gdub
Senior User
When I was in college I went to a local convenience store and and left my 52 running when I went in. Had a Mustang floor shifter and it wouldn't stay in park to good. Looked up to see it heading across the parking toward the highway. It crossed the road went down into a really bumpy steep ditch then came back across the road with both doors standing wide open. I caught it just before it got to the gas pumps.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
How much time do all of you have???

My latest was posting too much info on the internet about a parts truck I was buying. Had my eye on this truck for a long time and within six days of me paying for it and before I was able to get it home someone stole both mirrors off of it. The mirrors were parts I really wanted for another truck I have. So... be careful out there!

Rob

Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
I feel your pain! I've done similar "stunts". My driveway also has a pretty good slope to it and it sure doesn't take long for a vehicle to get rolling faster than you can stop it....lol. Luckily there is not much traffic on my street and a city park across from the house

Bobby

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think I'm done yet! Lol.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Sorry, but I don't think I'm done yet! Lol.
LOL...I could tell other stories, but I don't want to type all night!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
95stepside
Elder User

A trip to the ER? I wish it were that minor... my last big screw up lead me to 2 different ERs and 8 days in the ICU...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
got home after a long day at work, pulled my Acura in the drive way witch is a little steep, kill the motor open the door and jump out, the car starts rolling backwards before I close the door and the door hit the boat and bends the hell out of the hinges. anybody could make that mistake right? adding injury to insult, Did I mention the Acura is a automatic?? lol

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Thanks for making my night, that was pretty funny, although probably not funny at the time. Quite a few years ago while working on my old 48 Ford F-1, I decided to roll it out of the garage and work on the brakes in the driveway. Knowing my wife would be home in awhile, I parked my car directly in front of the driveway so she wouldn't pull up into the drive. Well, not really thinking this through and I knew darn well I had a sloped driveway.... I proceded to push the ol thing backwards to where I was going to do my work. Well, you already guessed it, it rolled a little bit faster down that drive than I expected. My buddy ran behind the beast to try and stop it since I was at the front and could get around quick enough. I yelled at him to get out of the way, there's no way he could have stopped that thing. At least not as well and as quickly as my 1990 Honda Civic did. Yep, smacked right into the rear door. If only I had that on video. My wife's reaction? She wishes we had in on video as well. We still laugh about the incedent and how ol' Beau thought he could stop that thing in a single bound.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM
f3f350
Junior User
I own a seafood market & i went down to a boat ramp on the Long Island sound to get salt water for my lobster tanks as i do a few times a month usnig a truck that has a 600 gal tank in it. the truck was at the top of the ramp & i was standind holding the discharge hose in the tank through the side door when i heard a "clunck" The truck slipped out of gear &, the stupid part, i forgot the parking brake didnt work so i watched helplessly the truck roll 25 feet down the ramp & into the water. there were a network of floating docks between each ramp & the truck eventually hit the floating dock & stopped, water was up to the roof in back & above the headlights in front. looking out at the water there were many boats tied up to the docks & my truck right there with them. I walked down the dock, climbed in the drivers side window, started it up & pulled out feeling very very stupid. Glad it didnt hit anyone. Tne next day the tranny was shot.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
THANK YOU !! THANK YOU !!now I feel normal ...I could tell you about hauling my truck home with a rope when the motor died ,useing my old harley ,my buddy steering the truck had no breaks when we got to the stop sign ...and couldn't get it in gear to slow down .wailed through the stop sign ...cutting off the police officer who almost T-boned the truck..on the end of the 30 foot rope...with the white knuckled Dave screaming at him to get outa the way ..and screaming at me to stop ...and screaming ....we made the driveway with the cop in pursuit ..at 10 mph ..dave got 3rd gear and stopped about 2 feet from crushing the Harley ..and me into the front of the garage....the Officer ..looking at two very scared very pale ... Idiots....figgered we got a lesson we would never forget ...gawwd I'm shaking again..........

Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
As Bill Engval would say "here's our/your sign"

Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Okay I give. Let me tell you my latest story (and there are MANY through the years). Many of you have possibly followed my "trade a steer for a truck" horse-trading, redneck thread here on the forum. Well....if you have, you now understand that I truly hate that animal. No, I despise that animal. And, long story short, we finally struck a deal and he's gonna be history within the next week.

Well anyway, I painted a big round hay bale for my kids to make it look like a jack-o-lantern. I looked outside the other day and that devil was standing there trying to eat the hay (never mind that it had fluorescent orange paint on it). That was the last straw for me. He was eating my kids' "jack-o-lantern". I yelled at him and he ignored me. I decided it was time to teach this animal a lesson (like that was really gonna work with a stupid cow). So I went and got a 12 gauge shotgun and LUCKILY only put one shell in the barrel and none in the magazine. I was about 60 or 70 yards away and decided that I'd shoot at him and basically pepper him with some #6 shot to get his attention (yeah yeah....animal cruelty, yada yada......call peta). Well I pulled the trigger and the cow barely even flinched and just kind of shook his head and walked off. But I noticed the gun didn't sound right and it certainly didn't have much recoil. I looked down at the spent shell laying on the ground and I thought my knees were gonna buckle when I realized what I did. In my haste, I threw a 16 gauge shotgun shell into a 12 gauge gun. In all my days, that is the first time I've done something so stupid with a gun like that. Look at the brass on that shell.

Name:  shotgun mistake.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  3.0 KB

Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
When I was in my 20's I wanted a project car, so I bought a 250 dollar 1965 corvair to restore. The car sat under a lean to with locked up brakes for about a year and one day I decided to start with the brakes. Got my small sissor jack out and jacked it up and went to my truck to get a lug wrench. Now we lived on a fair little grade and the neighbor had just built a beautiful 2 story 3 bay shop at the bottom of the hill. I came walking back up to my lean to and thought where the hell is my car? Then ya know that really sick feeling you get just as you realize what has happened? I slowly looked down to the neighbors shop to see how much damage was done and it was perfect! Where the heck was my car? I could see tire tracks in the grass and about half way down the grade the wheels turned and I followed the tracks right into the woods at the side of the property and there set my car about 20 feet inside the woods and not a bit of damage! I actually went down and started the car up and drove it back to the FRONT side of my lean to and put a block behind each wheel! Now that wasn't the last stupid thing I done but it is the one I remember the most!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Phity Five
Junior User
Accidents and oversites are one thing, but stupid is just stupid.

In neutral, I turned the motor on to diagnose a problem... took a few minutes, but success was had. But needed to have it idle a while longer.

Because I thought it would be safer to have the car in park, I just reached through the open window, grabbed the gear selector and attempted to shift it to P.

I guess I didnt make it past R.

Now I've got two 10" round imprints (ref tailights on a `62 bird) on my garage door insulation (lucky it wasnt worse) to remind me of my brillance and skill.

Quick Reply: Whats the last stupid thing you did?