6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Have I killed my 6.0 with a Superchips tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have I killed my 6.0 with a Superchips tuner?

Opened the box on my brand new Cortex 1950 and followed enclosed instructions on how to update the tuner. Installed cortex tune for mileage. Tune was accepted as expected. Truck started and ran well. Performance was as usual, no problems noticed. Ran the truck on about a 15 mile loop. Shut off truck as usual. 5 minutes later tried to re-start the truck. Crank crank crank, no go. Tried again and again until ready to explode a blood vessel. Walked away so as to not become violent. Let the truck cool down for about 2 hours and it then started and ran as usual. Now after another run it will not start. I have now gone through this cycle 6 times. Seems as though the fuel delivery has been shut down. On some attempts (after a cool down) it begins to cough and stumble and half assed runs. Pumping the pedal results in nothing until about the 12th pump. Then the engine jumps to life and runs well,,,,,until it gets shut off,,,,, then it again refuses to start. I have attempted to reinstall the stock tune. Also successfully installed the tow haul tune. Same results, no start until it cools down. Has the SuperChip wonder tuner fried my fuel pump??????

Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So did you attempt to install the stock tune or did it install the stock tune? thatd be the first thing i would try to do, get it back to stock and get that tuner outta there.

Bump until a 6.0 expert finds this

Old 10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Your 2005 has High Pres oil Problem

the only thing that tuner may or maynot kill is your Trans

It is a comen problem 05+ that tuner may have brought it on sooner hard to say

pobably STC fitting bad

Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Your 2005 has High Pres oil Problem

Thanks Blade, High pressure oil problem. Not quite understanding. Why would oil pressure INCREASE as a motor gets older. Or are you meaning Oil pressure as in fuel oil??? I just went out to the truck again after reprogramming the tuner online as I did yesterday when I got the programmer. I reinstalled the mileage setting. All went well. As before the truck had a couple of hours to cool down. Hit the key and waited for the clicks and buzzes stop. Turned key to start and it fired up immediately. Ran like a champ!. Took it out for a 10 mile run at 65mph. backed into my shop as I was expecting trouble. Key off, key on, hit start position, ratatatatatatatatat, there is just no way this once fine truck is going to fire up unless it cools down. Reinstalling the stock tune does nothing.
As to get that tuner outa there... The tuner is not "in there" Only a flash of the on board control is "in there". Superchips has sold 10's of thousands of these units. Why am I getting the grief?
Do I need my Fuel injector pump looked at?
Thanks all for the responses.
Bye the way the truck has 140,000 Kilos (Canada) or about 90,000 miles.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Another question Blade

After posting then going back, you mentioned a STC fitting.
Hey I just drive this thing, my 1st diesel. What the heck is an STC fitting?? Why does one go bad? And where do I look to find it?
The only thing I have learned it a tuner is a bad thing!

Old 10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
High Press Oil is what fires your injectors

theres some quality issues with some of the parts in the HPO system

The STC fitting breaks it cant take th pressure and needs to be updated to a ONE Peice STC

other issues with the HPO system are the stand pipe and Dring seals they blow out

as the oil gets hot it gets thinner and Bleeds off thru the leak to much to have enough pressure to start

when it cooled the oil is thicker and cant leak as fast its the viscosity of the oil

Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Thanks again Blade, I've been reading

Here's a copy and paste that helped me learn sumpin
This is a common problem area on all 2005-2007 6.0L Fords. It is recommended to install this kit when doing and EGR Delete and Oil Cooler. The original Snap-to-Connect fitting was a poor design. It is a plastic fitting that is prone to leaking. When the fitting starts to leak the vehicle will begin to experience hot starting problems. The fittings can also break completely which will result in a rather involved repair. All of this can be avoided by installing the updated kit. When installed at the same time as an EGR Delete and Oil Cooler it only adds about an extra hour of labor.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
You got it

just dont forget about the standpipes and Drings/dummey plugs

If you did all 3 you wont have to worrey about a Hot No Start again

Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
murraydav
Senior User
My Hats off to you Sir

I've learned lots. Planning to do an EGR delete and oil cooler changeout. Now would not think of forgetting to include the repair kit for the factory weak connector kit.
Just had to get my head around some of the STC talk that I know understand. Thanks one million!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I wouldn't do an EGR DELETE! I might consider installing a BulletProof (Brand) or a new Ford EGR valve and also inspect the oil cooler......

But before I'd do ANY of that, I'd have the jobs that Blades suggested first!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:26 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I wouldn't do an EGR DELETE! I might consider installing a BulletProof (Brand) or a new Ford EGR valve and also inspect the oil cooler......

But before I'd do ANY of that, I'd have the jobs that Blades suggested first!
Why not?Tell me why you dont think its a good idea.I have some thoughts on why it may not be such a great idea but tell me yours

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Why do all 3

I feel if your going in deep you might as well replace everything. The egr is a known weak area on the 6.0. Everybody says its not if it fails its when it fails. Better to spend 1500 now before the cooler lets go when I'm 2000 miles away from home on my way to Arizona for the winter. Maybe 3000 bucks and a week in a hotel on the road does not sound like fun. I'm at close to 100,000 miles without a nickel spent "YET". Only oil changes fuel filters etc so far. Me thinks its a good idea.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by murraydav
I feel if your going in deep you might as well replace everything. The egr is a known weak area on the 6.0. Everybody says its not if it fails its when it fails. Better to spend 1500 now before the cooler lets go when I'm 2000 miles away from home on my way to Arizona for the winter. Maybe 3000 bucks and a week in a hotel on the road does not sound like fun. I'm at close to 100,000 miles without a nickel spent "YET". Only oil changes fuel filters etc so far. Me thinks its a good idea.
Plugged oil coolers is the cause of app. 98% of failed egr coolers. Deleting the egr cooler is akin to deleting the messenger.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats wrong with tuning a truck? Nothing.

Using the wrong tuner or being tuned wrong is a problem.

Im with Benny and saying its the STC fitting, also like mentioned do the dummy plugs.

Egr delete is really up to you, but a bullet proof egr cooler wont hurt anything as well.

Get a scan gauge II and you will be able to watch temps knowing if its going to fail.

And egr coolers can last the length of a 6.0's life. Gotta take care of the motor, neglect it and it will do the same to you.

I would do headstuds if you really want to bullet proof it but thats a whole different subject.

Quick Reply: Have I killed my 6.0 with a Superchips tuner?