73 F-100 4X4 Can I use a Bendix steering control valve & power cylinder instead of Garrison? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

73 F-100 4X4 Can I use a Bendix steering control valve & power cylinder instead of Garrison?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
New User

PhilD is starting off with a positive reputation.
73 F-100 Update

Hey Montana,

Just wanted to update on the rear main seal issue. I got the seal changed. It wasn't too bad other than the side seals in the rear main cap wanted to squirt out when I tried to push the cap up in place. I don't know how many times I pulled the cap back out and kept trying to put it back up again. I tried to tap the side seals into place after the cap was up but they would move. One eventually broke, so I ended up just reusing the old side seals(which looked in good condition. The 2 old half seals were definately worn.
On putting the new half seals in, the Haynes manual said to overlap the seal joint by 3/8"(so half seal sticks up on one side of cap & other half seal in block sticks down on other side 3/8"). This is so the seal joint wouldn't line up with the joint in the cap & block. The other issue I had was keeping the 3/8" excess on those seal halves from being pushed back into the block and cap and losing the overlap. I eventually realized that I could get the cap up far enough to get the bolts started and then tighten the bolts up, which guided the cap right where I needed it.
I took off the old oil pump and screen and soaked it overnight in gas and cleaned the old oil chunks out of it. I also replaced the oil pump w/ a high volume pump while I was at it. To replace the rear main seal in place w/o jacking up the engine, I had to take off the ds headers and undo it at the collector. It was still a little tight clearance to get the oil pan out of the way. The main caps were a bear to loosen.

I can't tell you what a good feeling it was to start the engine and not see any oil leaking back there and know I saved a bunch of cash as well. Thanks for the support!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
Those two side seals can be a bit of a bear, especially when laying on your back under your truck, at least you have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself, and knowing it was done correctly, not to mention saving yourself $300
Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Post Fiend

hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.
From what ive been told, the power assist style steering, when working correctly that is, is alot better than your standard power steering. From what im getting from you guys, you dont seem to share the same opinion
Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 PM
New User

Power Assist System

Hey,

My experience with the power assist system wasn't so much a comparison of steering systems than it was trying to figure out what I needed to make mine work right. When I bought the truck it was missing some of the steering components. I've heard the power assist system gives you a different driving "feel", than traditional power steering. I don't think the power assist is quite as responsive as traditional PS. I don't mind the power assist, it was just expensive. The other factor is repairs to the power cylinder are pretty involved & parts such as seal kits are obsolete.

Before I realised what I had, I ended up with a reman. Garrison Power Cylinder & bushing kit from NPD which cost me $265 + taNow for sale BTW, if you know anyone that needs one).

I think the main benefit to the traditional PS system over the power assist system is the availability of parts.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Freshman User

4x4 for kids is starting off with a positive reputation.
Garrison power assist parts

PhilD, would you by any chance still have those near new Garrison parts for sale?
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM
New User

Garrison Power Cylinder

Hey 4X4 for kids,

I do still have the Garrison Power Cylinder. I have the receipt and be glad to send you pics. Send me an email address.

Regards,
Phil
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM
New User

Adam Brooke is starting off with a positive reputation.
you should look into the power steering convertion kits by benchwork steering in arizona. heres a link Ford F100 Conversion