6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 AM
SHPR543
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Purchase

I've been lurking on the site and learning...I have almost purchased a couple but been scared off by oil leaks, sludge in the degas etc on the ones I have looked at. I have found another and am bringing a Scan Gauge II and going to look at it on Monday. The truck only has 57K miles on it and is in great physical condition inside and out. I'm honestly a bit The Carfax shows two owners, one for 6 years and the other for 8 years. It looks to have been serviced regularly and some of the big ticket items mentioned on the site have been repaired/replaced. I had a few concerns and thought I would put it to you all to see if they are concerns or positives. I'll list the service history below:

2845 miles - Engine/powertrain computer module reprogrammed. PCM reprogrammed.
9696 miles - Turbocharger inlet pipe replaced. Transmission replaced. Turbocharger seals/gaskets replaced. Turbocharger replaced/repaired.
10472 miles - EGR valve replaced. PCM reprogrammed, computer checked, engine/powertrain computer module checked, EGR/DPFE feedback sensor replaced. Body computer/module checked. Instrument cluster checked. PCM reprogrammed. Exhaust system checked, EGR feedback solenoid replaced.
12986 miles - Electrical system checked, computer checked, Injector pressure sensor replaced, valve cover gaskets replaced, fuel pump/module repaired, fuel pressure checked, glow plug system checked, engine/powertrain computer/module checked, fuel pressure regulator replaced. No start/hard start condition checked
22198 miles - Vehicle serviced
39079 miles - Engine/powertrain computer module reprogrammed
39,337 miles - Turbocharger replaced/repared. Engine/powertrain computer module reprogrammed
47,575 miles - Transmission fluied flushed, fuel filter replaced, oil and filter replaced, transfer case fluid flushed/changed, electrical system serviced.
55,057 miles - Maintenance inspection completed, transmission serviced, oil and filter changed, air filter checked, transmission filter replaced, fuel filter replaced

There are several passed emissions inspections in there, which I left out. On one hand I'm excited because alot of the issues talked about on the forum have been addressed and replaced and no major problems seemed to have surfaced since about 39K miles. On the other hand it has seen a lot of service and early in its career too. I'm curious what your thoughts on the Carfax are...

Additionally, it has the FX4 package and the price has been negotiated down to $18500...which is the best price I can find on a Crew Cab diesel Super Duty anywhere in my area (Southern California). The car is about 3 hours from my house, which is why I have negotiated a price on it before going to see it. This is obviously based on no issues being found. The dealer (Chevy) told me they replaced an electric window switch, an oil seal and an O ring (I wrote down the exact repairs, but dont have the paper with me, I can update the post later).

I'm purchasing the ScanGauge II today and will program it for Monday (thanks Bismic (Mark) for the codes). I'm for sure going to add FICM voltage, ECT and EOT temps but let me know if there are any others that are essential.

Thanks for the feedback...let me know if you have any questions.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:00 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pcm reprogramming twice is curious to me . With so few miles the turbo would be a concern due to inactivity but it was replaced not long ago. You could have yourself a gem...then again.....

Old 06-24-2018, 12:22 PM
SHPR543
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
The pcm reprogramming twice is curious to me . With so few miles the turbo would be a concern due to inactivity but it was replaced not long ago. You could have yourself a gem...then again.....
Im hoping for the gem...wish I could chat with previous owners lol. My scan gauge gets here today, then I’ll spend tonight programming.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:28 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
PCM reprogramming was very common when these first come out. the 03/04 trucks were thrown out to the public a little early and had some issues.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Do some research on the early 04's vs the later ones. Ask which one it is and confirm it when you look at it by looking on the passenger valve cover for the ICP sensor.

The early 04's had weak HPOP's. The later 04's had a different (but almost as weak) HPOP, AND leak-prone standpipes and dummy valves were added on. Also added on was a leak-prone EGR cooler. The HPOP can wait for being changed out, but the standpipes, dummy plugs, and EGR cooler should be upgraded fairly quickly if it is a late 04.

Plan on getting a good gauge system (scangaugeII will work) and also install a fuel pressure monitor (add-on sensor and gauge).

Read this thread to get a little more info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-diesel.html
The only difference in the late 04's and the 05 and up model years is that they won't have the leak prone STC fitting that the 05 and up have. The 05 and up HPOP's are reliable though (as opposed to the weaker earlier pumps).

and also this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html

One thing that jumps out at me is the transmission issues. Not sure what to make of that. I assume that the turbo issues are due to minimal driving and maybe a lot of short trips. If that is the case, you might need to check the EBP sensor and its tube for plugging.

I also wonder about low fuel pressure issues being a possibility w/ the fuel pump and the regulator spring work.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM
SHPR543
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bismic
Do some research on the early 04's vs the later ones. Ask which one it is and confirm it when you look at it by looking on the passenger valve cover for the ICP sensor.

The early 04's had weak HPOP's. The later 04's had a different (but almost as weak) HPOP AND leak prone standpipes and dummy valves were added on. Also added on was a leak prone EGR cooler. The HPOP can wait for being changed out, but the standpipes, dummy plugs, and EGR cooler should be upgraded fairly quickly if it is a late 04.

Plan on getting a good gauge system (scangaugeII will work) and also install a fuel pressure monitor (add-on sensor and gauge).

Read this thread to get a little more info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-diesel.html
The only difference in the late 04's and the 05 and up model years is that they won't have the leak prone STC fitting that the 05 and up have. The 05 and up HPOP's are reliable though (as opposed to the weaker earlier pumps).

and also this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html

One thing that jumps out at me is the transmission issues. Not sure what to make of that. I assume that the turbo issues are due to minimal driving and maybe a lot of short trips. If that is the case, you might need to check the EBP sensor and its tube for plugging.
Thanks for your response...and for your work on the “what to look for when buying a 6.0” thread, I’ve read it a hundred times! Anyway, Carfax indicates an early 04...manufactured and delivered in June/July of 04.

I had had the same thoughts about the tranny...very early to have that replaced, although nice all service was performed at a Ford dealership. My scangauge gets here today and I’ll be inputting the codes tonight (again a big thanks for all the codes on that thread) Are there specific codes other than FICM volts, EOT and ECT that I need to be aware of...I don’t think I’ll be able to enter the whole list and I don’t want to overwhelm myself. If you’re have some specific things you can point me toward, I’d appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
That would be a late 04. Remember, the next years model year vehicles always are introduced in the year before.

The cut-off date for the early 04's was Sept 29, 2003, after that they are the late ones (there is actually a "mid 04", but the changes aren't real significant).

Old 06-24-2018, 03:12 PM
SHPR543
Freshman User
That would be a late 04. Remember, the next years model year vehicles always are introduced in the year before.

The cut-off date for the early 04's was Sept 29, 2003, after that they are the late ones (there is actually a "mid 04", but the changes aren't real significant).
My error, it was manufactured 7/03 not 04. Sold 8/03

Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I would also watch the ICP pressure and IPR %duty cycle, especially when cranking cold, and then when cranking hot.

Most people only watch FICM MPower, but I would watch VPower (vehicle volts) and LPower (Logic volts) as well - especially when cranking cold.

Just an FYI - The ScanGauge will read what you need, except it is a very poor code reader.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:24 PM
SHPR543
Freshman User
I would also watch the ICP pressure and IPR %duty cycle, especially when cranking cold, and then when cranking hot.

Most people only watch FICM MPower, but I would watch VPower (vehicle volts) and LPower (Logic volts) as well - especially when cranking cold.

Just an FYI - The ScanGauge will read what you need, except it is a very poor code reader.
I have a code reader as well, I’ll hook that up first.

Can you you tell me what numbers I’m looking for? Or what the normal ranges are? I tried looking for a list but can’t find one...

Old 06-24-2018, 03:29 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SHPR543

Can you you tell me what numbers I’m looking for? Or what the normal ranges are? I tried looking for a list but can’t find one...

See the last post in this thread (in the Tech folder, but formatting changes caused some of the earlier posts to be lost):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ressure-3.html

Old 06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 78fordman
PCM reprogramming was very common when these first come out. the 03/04 trucks were thrown out to the public a little early and had some issues.
Roger that....I didn't know that. One of the best things about FTE. Someone has always seen it.done it!!

Old 06-25-2018, 04:07 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Also from Mark Kovalsky an engine issue can mimic a transmission problem.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by SHPR543

Here is a list in Excel format. I believe it started in an effort to make Mark’s post he references above a bit more legible. There is also room to write your numbers down as you start collecting them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...4&d=1424302615

Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM
SHPR543
Freshman User

At the dealership...all the levels check out ok except the ficm levels...Main power (48.5) is ok, the logic power (11.5) and vehicle power (12.0) all on low idle reading a bit low. Any reason for major concern? They are looking at it right now...

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Purchase