6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Did my first oil and fuel filter change today

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Lt CHEG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my first oil and fuel filter change today

Well, I had the dealer do the first oil change right about at 3,000 miles because the first one was free. Today I changed the oil myself for the first time. I was right at 6,020 miles. I don't put a lot of miles on my 2010 F250 and some of it is idling time so I'm not taking any chances and am keeping to a regimen of changing it every 3,000 miles. I will also change the fuel filters every other oil change, which works out to about once a year based on the mileage I drive. With the fuel system as finicky as it is on this truck there's no way that I would go over a year without changing the fuel filter. I tried to rotate the tires as well but my back tires were stuck on there and even after whacking them with a mallet and driving forward and reverse a few times with all but one lug nut completely removed, I couldn't get the back wheels to budge. It was really nice, as I like to tinker with vehicles a little and with my past several vehicles it was cheaper to have the dealer change the oil, even with synthetic oil than for me to buy it and change it myself. The truck is about 4 weeks shy of a year old and I'm still quite pleased with it. I've done a fair amount of towing my tractor with it and it pulls like a champ. Plus the built in brake controller is the best.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous changing the fuel filter based upon what I read on here about other people's experiences. However, I had no problems. I waited until the truck had a quarter tank of fuel to do the change. I put a catch pan under the water separator and opened the drain. I let it run until no more fluid was coming out and really had no other issues. I drained about 12 ounces or so of fluid, all of it smelling like diesel. The frame mounted filter is a pain to get to, but I just kind of forced it in around the wiring and it wasn't that bad. I cycled the key for about a minute 6 times and when it was time to start her up, she didn't even sputter.I was right at about 15 quarts of oil removed from the truck. It seems full after about 14.5 quarts, but I'll check again after I've got 30 or 40 miles on the oil change.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Great report! It is not that bad. Plus that gives you a chance to kind of look things over.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Job! You just saved yourself some money. I think its easier than doing it on my F-150. More room and the filter is easy to get too.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine is like that to. I use 14 qts. Did you intall the frame filter in the hfcm and then the cap? Or did you put the filter on the cap and install them together.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
If you ever do get the wheels off, you can coat the inner edge of the wheel hub with a little anti-seize. The wheels are hub-centric and can stick pretty good. I think the sooner you get them off the better...take off all the lug nuts (with truck properly supported of course) and whack at the tire from the inside with a piece of 2 x 4....or a deadblow hammer to the wheel works good too. They can be very stubborn! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Lt CHEG
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rudiak
Mine is like that to. I use 14 qts. Did you intall the frame filter in the hfcm and then the cap? Or did you put the filter on the cap and install them together.
I put the filter in first and then installed the cap. I'm a little obsessive compulsive and I try not to have my filters come in contact with anything that may dirty them before putting them in their housing (I know, I need help). Putting the filter in first seemed the best way to accomplish this task.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Lt CHEG
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jakebrake
If you ever do get the wheels off, you can coat the inner edge of the wheel hub with a little anti-seize. The wheels are hub-centric and can stick pretty good. I think the sooner you get them off the better...take off all the lug nuts (with truck properly supported of course) and whack at the tire from the inside with a piece of 2 x 4....or a deadblow hammer to the wheel works good too. They can be very stubborn! Good luck!
I'm probably going to take the truck to the dealer and have them rotate the tires. I'll give them some anti seize to put on and make sure that they apply it (I watch for things like this like a hawk). I don't know that I can get enough leverage to really whack things without being under a lift on the truck. I mule kicked the top, then the bottom, then the top, etc. etc. pretty hard a number of times and there was no sign of budging, but the truck was swaying pretty good on the 6 ton jack stands. I may grab a battering ram from work and try it one more time, but I have to have the dealer look at a gremlin in my trailer wiring soon anyway so it might just make more sense to have them do it. The trailer wiring gremlin is weird too, everything works perfect with the 7 pin connection, but when I use the four pin connection for a light trailer without brakes the lights don't all work correctly.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I put mine in first too. Then the cap. With the redesigned lower filter that is the best way now.