Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno my new motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno my new motor

I am finally done with my motor (351W) and wanted to know if there is a way to get it on a dyno since it is EFI and computer controlled.

Would a dyno shop typically have something to test motors that are computer controlled? Just looking for a way to test the motor before I put it in the truck.

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking engine man. To run it on an engine dyno you will probably need to get a harness and everything to run it on the stand. I doubt they will have everything to run your engine off of. I'd just wait, get it in the truck and running good... Then once it's running good and the tuning feels good, put it on a dyno and see what it makes at the wheels.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd say it depends on how well equipped the dyno shop is. Is the truck an auto or stick? If you do wait to get it in the truck, auto's are tricky on the dyno to keep them in 3rd, I'm dynoing my Lightning tomorrow, but have a tuner to disable the 3-2downshift.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Jack Roush has one , yeah put on a dyno jet when its in , they can tune it on there to...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Such a pretty engine... it deserves a better home - pops the Bronco's hood open - .

Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Encho
Such a pretty engine... it deserves a better home - pops the Bronco's hood open - .
hahahahaha

Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hivoltj
I'd say it depends on how well equipped the dyno shop is. Is the truck an auto or stick? If you do wait to get it in the truck, auto's are tricky on the dyno to keep them in 3rd, I'm dynoing my Lightning tomorrow, but have a tuner to disable the 3-2downshift.
It's an auto and I also have the Baumann transmission controller (not sure if you are familiar, simple google search will find their site) and I may be able to disable the shifting there.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:17 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the specs on this engine if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
What's the specs on this engine if you don't mind me asking?
I've been asked before and instead of typing it out again, here's the link if you don't mind following it - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10664694

if you were asking for something different, let me know, would be happy to provide

Last edited by RIKIL; 09-30-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 09-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice motor, you need to move your pcv valve and have it enter to the underside middle of the upper intake. you dont want it plumbed into the very back of intake otherwise it will cause issues.

i take it your going to run mass air and would be best in the truck to get it spot on. I say trailer it to the dyno shop and let them get it spot on right away.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
nice motor, you need to move your pcv valve and have it enter to the underside middle of the upper intake. you dont want it plumbed into the very back of intake otherwise it will cause issues.

i take it your going to run mass air and would be best in the truck to get it spot on. I say trailer it to the dyno shop and let them get it spot on right away.
Good to know about the PCV valve. I will check on that.

Yes, it is MASS air (converted from SD) but there is one problem with installing the new motor and taking it to the dyno: when I converted from SD to MASS Air, the motor would start but only run at about 500 RPM and was running rich...so something was obviously wrong. The motor was working before the upgrade with the SD system. After a few months of troubleshooting, I had to move on to rebuilding the motor (the thought being that the old motor wouldn't run under the MASS Air setup because it was is really poor shape [head gasket leak and some other things]).

So when I install the new motor into the truck and if it doesn't run, I won't be sure if it is the MASS Air conversion that still needs to be fixed or if something would be wrong with the way I put the motor together. That's why I wanted to see if I could dyno it before I put in the new motor.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
lew52
Postmaster
The computer will need to be tuned to the 30# injectors and MAF , is the meter you have set to run the 30 lbs injectors ??..

Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
did you buy a conversion harness or what?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Lew52 & Kemicalburns-

I use a sampling tube on the MAF sensor to adjust for the 30# injectors. But after the conversion, when everything was stock, I was testing with the correct sampling tube. I think I need to get a new one for the 30# injectors (not sure if I have it already).

The conversion kit I got was from IST (interactive systems and technologies). There is a 'truck kit' on their page that I called and talked to them about. It has a fuel injector harness, MASS air computer, the senor, new O2 sensor, and a couple of other things. Since the first attempt at the conversion didn't work out, I had thought about buying the wiring harness from them that they sell. But I haven't decided that yet. The only part of the MASS air system that wasn't replaced is the computer and the wiring harness. I am pretty sure my work is good, I have checked and rechecked things MANY times.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 PM
lew52
Postmaster
I went to 30# injectors on my 302 , with a pro m mass air meter that was calibrated for the injectors , it ran fine but after a good dyno tune with a custom chip it was so much better , the stock timing curve and AF ratio just wont work with a built motor...

Quick Reply: Dyno my new motor