6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F550 Blown enigines

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that ford should GM should cummins should but the reality is you cannot test real life on the bench or the track! Beta testing is a way of life for everything! In the consumer marketplace, they have to do it to test the ridiculous situations we put our trucks, cars, phones, computers, blenders, mattresses, ect.... The R&D costs would put everyone out of business, just leave the beta units to someone else sorry I sound brash but this has been common knowledge for decades never buy the first year period! It's like a mantra in my family, the duramax had similar issues as did the B mod Cummins but that engine did it's beta in industrial equip ^so you don't hear much abought it! But I R&R'ed plenty of them during the early production phase! CAVEAT EMPTOR no first year production anything,
Jim & fat reliable (I got him as a second year rescue Dog) Monty

Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
That's why I suggested this get posted down in the 6.7L section. So that some techs could chime in with accurate information.

As I have read about the problem, it is rare and is only occurring in F-450/550 trucks. It is not 6.7L's exploding left and right and a big disaster. It is very isolated instances of problems that, it appears, Ford is working very hard to correct.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Cheezit might be able to shed some light on the problem, the 450 & 550 engine has some changes.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little skeptical too just by the tone of the OP. More emotion than details is the first sign. If I'm wrong, my apologies all over the place!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
nothing to be skeptical about imo. we know about the cracking valve issue. first one I have heard about spiing a bearing though

Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
Are you really comparing light truck engines with aircraft engines? I mean seriously?

It was an anecdotal comparison, but you already knew that. His point is solid.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Maybe this is bad luck, but how many good diesel engines did Ford manufactured in its history?
I could count one, although 900 lb block for 250 hp sounds a bit like dinosaur.
Good luck to original poster with the repair and sorry for that, but my 7.3 just gained more value.
A 7.3 owner hoping for another Ford Diesel engine failure.....

The 6.7 release and first year have been nowhere near as problematic as the 6.0 or 6.4. The 7.3 also had it's share of issues to get worked out. Yes, time will tell, but you'll be wanting a 6.7 at some point when your budget allows.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
It was an anecdotal comparison, but you already knew that. His point is solid.
No, actually the point was ridiculous. Comparing apples to green beans.

When your truck engine dies, you are upset, inconvenienced, and as a business owner will probably lose some money. I agree that sucks.

When your aircraft engine dies, you die.

Big, big difference.

People are trying to make this into some dismal failure of the 6.7L engine, which it is not. Some problems are occurring in F450/550 trucks, but so far no one has really even said how many. Is it a problem? Yes. Is it bad? Yes. Is the 6.7L a catastrophic failure and everyone should switch to Dodge or GM? Not hardly.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM
smokeymountainst
New User
reason

I had so much trouble with my 2004 6.0 that I thought surely if I buy the 2010 6.4 all those problems will be taken care of, but I was wrong so I set out to buy a new Dodge 5500 but wound up calling the Ford dealership and the salesman talked me into another Ford. He said the 6.7 was built by ford and all the problems were international problems and Ford's new engine was awesome. I feel like a fool for falling for this again. I've had 2 F650's with cummins engines and guess what no problems all the way out to 200,000 miles couldn't keep the front ends lined up but the engines never gave problems. I am so disapointed and embarassed by Ford I have always loved Ford trucks but I cannot stand all these breakdowns. I have talked to several business owners who use fords every day and every one of them say they're buying Dodge next time because they've had many of the same problems i've had. (Brown's fencing,Couch's Greenhouse, Rogersville office Supply, Quality Storage Barns,Lawson's Guttering) 3 of these said ford kept bandaiding the trucks they had until the warranty was up then it was thier problem. Ford better get something figured out or this will eventually catch up to sales figures.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
No, actually the point was ridiculous. Comparing apples to green beans.

When your truck engine dies, you are upset, inconvenienced, and as a business owner will probably lose some money. I agree that sucks.

When your aircraft engine dies, you die.

Big, big difference.

People are trying to make this into some dismal failure of the 6.7L engine, which it is not. Some problems are occurring in F450/550 trucks, but so far no one has really even said how many. Is it a problem? Yes. Is it bad? Yes. Is the 6.7L a catastrophic failure and everyone should switch to Dodge or GM? Not hardly.
Have you ever had a dead stick situation? Know anyone who has? I do...no one died.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeymountainst
Ford better get something figured out or this will eventually catch up to sales figures.
I recall posts with quite similar, if not the same, wording in the 6.0 Forum in 2005.

You apparently like Cummins. Have you ever heard of the infamous 'dowel pin failure'? Stuff happens.....

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM
smokeymountainst
New User
yeh stuff has happened alot to my ford trucks and to quite a few others, I've only stated the problems I've had, all I can tell you is the 2 cummins engines I've had gave no problems, would you buy another truck with a 6.7 if you were me.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't believe the 6.7 Cummins in the F-650's are the same that come in Ram pickups.
Different engine, but has the same displacement.

As for problems with the new Fords, I do feel for you on the 6.0 and the 6.4 - but I do believe that the problems will be worked out on the 6.7 and it will turn out the be the engine that displaces the mighty 7.3 as one of the best ever. I honestly don't think Ford can afford for this to not be remedied.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got the 6.7 in my F250 'POV' truck. I drive this truck with common senseability. Meaning I drive it normally. Now I don't know how you guys drive your 550's and 650's but the ones I've seen driving as utility trucks for work are usually driven as a 'stomp and romp' work truck. 'Stomp and romp' trucks no matter how good your maintenance is will not last as long as a guy with his F250. Just my take.

Quick Reply: 2011 F550 Blown enigines