1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injectors In! (formerly: Removing Injectors and then Installing Injectors)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
You have most assuredly earned the right to consider me subscribed to your thread.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Why are you draining the HPOP reservoir? It's the rails in the head that drain into the cylinders. I've never drained the reservoir when changing injectors.
Well, evidently I am losing my mind. I could've swore I read that as intructions in an earlier post, more specifically Travis' first post in this thread. BUT it sure doesn't say that now and it doesn't show to be edited. Guess I'm crazy! Anyway, won't be worrying about that now.

Sure. The hole in the cup or the glow plug hole will work just fine. If you pull the back two injectors first and let it drain, you'll have enough fluid come out the rails that it fills up into the cup unless the cylinder is at BDC.
I definitely don't have any fluids into the cups. Just verifying again: I don't need to do anything but pull the injectors(back two first), GPs, and vacuum the last two cylinders prior to reinstalling the new injectors? I didn't pull the small plugs under the VCs near the injectors or the big ones at the back of the heads near the top of the bellhousing. I feel like everyone was pretty clear about that but being the first time to reinstall them I'm wanting to be positive.

Some are thinner than others. I use a Craftsman 1/4" drive deep socket and it works well. Use the socket to break the glow plug loose, then grab a small rubber hose that will slide over the tip of the glow plug but be snug... ...Slide the rubber hose over the tip of the glow plug and twist it to unscrew the plug after it's broke loose.
Awesome, that's what I have. And I'll definitely use the hose trick to help get em back in. I've got some nasogastric tubes I've used for break bleeding and such that I can cut up.

Thanks for the help. I'll be rep-ing yall here before too long.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
When you pull the back two, wait a little bit before pullling the rest and you'll get almost all of it back there. I just used a syringe(spelling?) and a piece of 1/4" plastic plumbers clear hose on it and sucked them out. I did all of them twice, as i didn't turn the motor over, just made sure they were all clean. I'd vaccuum them all out anyway just for piece of mind if it were me even if you are turning the motor over, don't take long to be sure you didn't end up with quite a bit in a different cylinder.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Cool. Thanks Darin. Fortunately I've access to all kinds of cool medical devices with small tubes that work extra well for truck stuff .

Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, vacuum them all out before you re-install the injectors. Also, before you install the injectors, make sure you put a light coating of motor oil on each injector right before install. Grab one injector, coat the body and all o-rings with motor oil, stab injector in head, seat injector using a rubber mallet and sharp but gentle blows on the top of the injector solenoid. You can feel when the injector bottoms out. Once it bottoms out, put the hold down bolt back in and torque to 120 inch pounds.

Now move on to the next one and do it all over again. Once all the injectors are in, install the oil spouts and electronics. Now your ready to unplug the CPS, or however you want to disable the engine, and crank it over without glow plugs in it. Remember, VCs are on the heads with at least one bolt holding them down. Crank the engine for about 10 seconds and that should be good enough. I usually crank it one more time just for good measure.

Now pull the VCs, install glow plugs, electronics, double check everything is correct and bolt the VC back on. I usually don't bother putting a torque wrench on the glow plugs, but the torque spec on them is 14 ft/lbs if you want to use it. Once both VCs are back on plug the CPS back in (or however you disabled the engine, plug it back in. lol) check the HPOP rez and fill if neccessary. Crank the engine in 10 second intervals, letting the starter cool for a minute between cranks. While you let the starter cool, check the HPOP rez level again. It should only take you 2 or 3 cranks to get it going, but sometimes it could take a little longer. Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Alright, I got my injectors back from Jim yesterday and am trying to get em put back in.

I'm wondering about how much oil I should see come out of the rear cylinder when I vac it out. On the driver's side I got about 150-200 ml/cc I'd say and can't get any more. Haven't been successful at pulling oil from the passenger side yet so I'm posting this and gonna go back out and try it again. I just have a rubber hose that I'm running down through the rear injector cup and drawing it out with a 60 ml/cc syringe.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about how much you are getting out of the cylinder. Get as much as you can out of each cylinder. You just need to get enough to not hydrolock your engine. Suck as much out, then you will get the rest when you pull the glow plugs and spin the motor over a few times...

Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
redman84
Postmaster
My injectors are officially in now and boy does my truck run better. I gotta get proper tuning on it and see what it's like. It went pretty well except for when I got ready to crank it without the glowplugs in. I guess I hadn't thought about what it would sound like so after a quick bump of the starter I had to call Ian and ask about the crazy sound. Thanks for all the help yall. It went smooth as butter once again thanks to FTE.

And Jim is the man! Counting the day I sent them and yesterday when I received them it took all of 10 days!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Cool, glad you got it running.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good deal Jacob, glad it worked out for ya. Get tuned and you won't know how to act!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Good deal i will have mine in a few weeks

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
Good deal i will have mine in a few weeks

Glad you got it done Jacob. Now get 'em tuned!!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
King7765
Senior User
What tunes are ya going with???

Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by King7765
What tunes are ya going with???
Hopefully a TS 6 pos chip from Tony Wildman. I guess I'll probably get stock, light tow, econo or daily driver, street, extreme, and 1,000ish high idle. I want the tunes bad but gotta get the gauges in there first.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by redman84
My injectors are officially in now and boy does my truck run better. I gotta get proper tuning on it and see what it's like. It went pretty well except for when I got ready to crank it without the glowplugs in. I guess I hadn't thought about what it would sound like so after a quick bump of the starter I had to call Ian and ask about the crazy sound. Thanks for all the help yall. It went smooth as butter once again thanks to FTE.

And Jim is the man! Counting the day I sent them and yesterday when I received them it took all of 10 days!
That sucker just spinns crazy with no compression doesn't it?

I just threw the VC's on after installing the injectors and cranked it a few times. then threw my new glow plugs in. I didn't have anything to suck the oil out of the holes.

The other thing as well, if your not going to be doing anything for a while on the truck like you did, I'd suck the oil out and then the rest will just make its way past the rings, specially if its warm.
And... we have block heaters, so there is no excuse for the engine not warming up.

I worked on an E99 last winter and plugged in the block heater, kept me warm on top of the motor. haha.

Quick Reply: Injectors In! (formerly: Removing Injectors and then Installing Injectors)