Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth getting a k&n air intake system??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
the fipik kit for your 5.8 is under 200 if you do your homework and not just google the first one that comes up. I got one for 198 off ebay -= shipped=- this year (Only to replace the ugly stuff under the hood- purely cosmetic) Now here is the tricky part "IF" the 119K on the truck was put on by you and you bought the filter when the truck was new. It would have paid for itself with filter replacement costs and the added mileage they give. Now mid to end life for that truck I don't see the point in getting one. Unless you hit a person and the fan eats up your tubing and the ins. company buys you it.. But if thats the case the truck is totaled ...
Its a complete waste of money though, not matter what the price is. Thats like flushing 200 bucks down the toilet in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 PM
billg302
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck came with one when I bought it. It's ok, I wouldn't spend the money on it. I would consider a drop in replacement K & N though. I work in the compressed air industry and I know how airflow restriction (no matter how small) can decrease performance. The only benefit to a FIPK is on a high performance, high rpm, monster of a motor that actually needs the increased airflow. An internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air compressor that ignites a fuel charge.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
Personally I picked up 1mpg on my f150 when I installed the kit. If you’re only looking for fuel economy then the only thing I can tell you is run the math. If you run the math you should find that it will pay for itself relatively quickly depending on how many miles a year you drive. When you run the numbers keep in mind the service interval on a K&N factory replacement filter is approximately 50,000 miles and the Cone filter for an intake system is approximately 100,000 miles for Hwy use. Also make sure you put your MPG increase into your equation be conservative on this nubmer say .25mpg increase. (fuel savings). You will be surprised!

If your looking for performance in which the kit is designed for then thats a no brainer install the kit and enjoy. If you take advantage of added power by driving more aggressively, you will reduce mileage. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 PM
88leadsled
New User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
What was Ghetto?

It had a spectre filter, and extension piece, 302 MAF intake Y, and I had to cut/use the I6 tubes inside the 302 tubes, because of different diameters?.....I agree...Not the PRETTIEST unit ever fabbed up, but definantly a tad more effective than some I've seen....

*Note, the filter is now located right behind the area the factory tube goes into the radiator support brace....

What about running dual intakes instead of splicing tubes together? I was thinking about it today and is how I came across this thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Why? 1 filter is cheaper than 2....Easier to install, etc..

if you MUST...Then yeah, you can keep them seperate...but no real use/advantage...

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Domestic_Nuwbee
Senior User
I'm running a drop in filter with factory truck intake tubes/box with ram removed off the box. Noticed the difference, but not to say all i needed was just a new filter? It is said the 460 truck tube intake is a wicked design. Its one thing to "allow" more flow...but your motor is only going to take in what it needs. I would presume free flowing intake would only make sence with a free flowing exhaust? Can anyone add to that?

IMO...no such thing as "cold air intake". A tube with a massive filter cone attached to it sitting 2 feet away from a motor putting off hot temperatures is not "cold air" You want COLD AIR?!?!..... Run 50 shot nitrous. Colder air molecules is what burns better/faster...not how much air goes in.....Well....theres forced air induction but thats a whole different story.

Aluminum mandrel bent tube with a big air filter is for Hondas....CAI for a Ford truck is a freakin snorkel!!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Domestic_Nuwbee
Senior User
HAHAHAHAHA....just had a stupid thought after 2 beer and a smoke...

Would an intercooler rigged up to an intake be more the likes of a "cold air intake"!?!

Heres how it would go. Mount an aluminum intercooler behind or under your radiator, put a cone on the input end and then the other end plumped to your TB. Anyone think the temperature drop would be any of significance from the cone to the TB after process through the intercooler?? Probably adding more restiction than anything...but sure as hell a wicked beer thought...

Someone please try this....LOL

Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Domestic_Nuwbee
HAHAHAHAHA....just had a stupid thought after 2 beer and a smoke...

Would an intercooler rigged up to an intake be more the likes of a "cold air intake"!?!

Heres how it would go. Mount an aluminum intercooler behind or under your radiator, put a cone on the input end and then the other end plumped to your TB. Anyone think the temperature drop would be any of significance from the cone to the TB after process through the intercooler?? Probably adding more restiction than anything...but sure as hell a wicked beer thought...

Someone please try this....LOL
What brand of beer do you suggest???

Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM
88leadsled
New User
price isnt really my issue with it. just like the idea

Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Domestic_Nuwbee
Senior User
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
What brand of beer do you suggest???
I'll drink anything and everything...beer is beer!

I thought someone would get a good kick outa that...hahaha hell I was laughing the whole time I typed it.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Domestic_Nuwbee
Senior User
Originally Posted by 88leadsled
price isnt really my issue with it. just like the idea
Listen to the Old school cats...they know what they are talking about. That money could be put towards something that you can get more gains from, meaning satisfaction.

I personally really rely on the input they put into the everyday threads you see on here. Some of these guys have way more knowledge about our trucks than anyone you'll ever know or meet. Can't put a price on some of the information they provide. You are new here just like I am....lets not be like one of the kids who shoot at them with no ammunition. Soak it all up bro.

Good luck

Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Domestic_Nuwbee
Listen to the Old school cats...they know what they are talking about. That money could be put towards something that you can get more gains from, meaning satisfaction.

I personally really rely on the input they put into the everyday threads you see on here. Some of these guys have way more knowledge about our trucks than anyone you'll ever know or meet. Can't put a price on some of the information they provide. You are new here just like I am....lets not be like one of the kids who shoot at them with no ammunition. Soak it all up bro.

Good luck

Again....The system I have is effecient, and was like $25.....

Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
My truck had a drop in K&N when I bought it (79,500 miles on the odometer). I now have 182,000 on the truck. Same filter. I did use an OEM paper filter for about a year. Then dropped the K&N back in when that OEM filter was filthy. No other changes, just the filter, I see about 0.5mpg increase with the K&N drop in filter. My intake tubes are not dirty from dirt getting past the filter either. Its pretty nice, 7 years and I've only bought one paper filter (just wanted to compare to the K&N), and some dish soap. No CEL as I don't over oil the filter. And to be completely honest, I just wash the filter in hot/soapy water, dry it, and spray lightly with WD-40 for the oil. All is well. My rings aren't trashed and my MAF sensor read correct voltage last time I checked it.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
88leadsled
New User
nah man not like that at all. No disrespect. Thats the reason I joined to get info on things I dont know and to get ideas for my truck. Personally I like the intake if for nothing else, cosmetics.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 88leadsled
Personally I like the intake if for nothing else, cosmetics.
Thats why I did it... all the plus's of it are added bonus. I think the ford lay out of all the motors in this body style are ugly to the point I would not pop the hood with anyone around. Some of the make shift systems I have seen on here " for cheap" are far worse ... People say 200 is too much money but what does 200 buy.... I cant even smoke cigarettes for two weeks on that money. Drop in the hat to me but I guess 200 is more money down south then it is in Boston. Wish I could work here and live there ! I'm rambling ,,, Board as all get out ... forgive me

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting a k&n air intake system??