Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F350 Lariat Superduty CC Shortbox 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
kingriver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F350 Lariat Superduty CC Shortbox 4x4

the truck has the powerstroke 7.3, questions is sometimes when it starts to get cooler out under 50 degrees at night the truck does not fire off on the first attempt, usually does on the second. their is a fuse that shows in the owners manual as fuel heater. If this was bad would that cause this to happen.

thanks for the help

Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
kingriver
New User
I checked the fuse it looks fine, the truck has cooler weather temperment, what items could cause this ?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:41 PM
kingriver
New User
One more item to consider, trying to start the truck twice this morning it would not fire off, last night we got down to 37 degrees, I plugged in the block heater for 1/2 hr and it fired right off. what could cause this to be so cold weather tempermental.

thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 04:00 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glow plugs?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
kingriver
New User
Just callled the Ford garage here, they quoted me 620.00 to replace all eight
Does this sound correct?

Last edited by kingriver; 09-23-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: realized after that it indeed does have glo plugs
Old 09-23-2011, 05:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kingriver
Just callled the Ford garage here, they quoted me 620.00 to replace all eight
Does this sound correct?
That sounds more like someone has a boat payment they need to make.

Glow plugs are fast and easy. About the price of a spark plug, and a little easier to install. You can do it yourself no problem.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
kingriver
New User
Well I have never done it, so I guess I'm at a loss as to what to even do.
Someone said you have to remove the valve covers to get to them and that their are eight.....maybe you can walk me thru he process

Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Removing the valve covers is no big deal..

Glow plug removal:
This is a straight-forward service. After removing the valve covers and unplugging the glow plug(s), loosen the glow plug a couple of turns (10mm deep socket, 1/4" drive). Then push a 4-6" piece of vacuum line over the end of he glow plug and use the hose to unscrew and remove it. Use the hose to install and screw in the glow plug, then tighten with the socket. The socket will contact the rocker arms if used to remove the glow plug. If the glow plug is difficult to turn you may be able to loosen it by working it back and forth--turn counter clockwise one turn then clockwise half a turn--until it turns freely enough that it can be loosened with the hose. If the glow plug probe is severely carboned up or swollen, the barrel may screw out of the head leaving the probe stuck in the hole. In this instance you may be able to remove the probe by removing the adjancent rocker arm and push rod to gain enough room to get ahold of the probe with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Have someone hold the pliers to prevent the probe from falling into the cylinder and use a long punch to loosen the probe by tapping it down. Once the probe is broken loose, work it up and down in the hole until it can be pulled out--some WD 40 or other solvent may help to loosen any carbon on the probe once it can moved, just remember not to use too much and to remove any residual by cranking over the engine with the glow plug out. You may be able to dislodge the seize probe by cranking over the engine, just remember to reinstall the rocker and pushrod if removed, and place a blanket or fender cover over the glow plug to keep it from shooting out. If the probe falls into the cylinder or cannot be loosened, the head will have to be removed to extract the probe. To prevent damage, remove all the glow plugs on the head to be removed and install them after the head has been reinstalled.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 PM
gdn
Senior User
Before you start taking stuff apart, check the glow plug relay. They are known to go bad so it does not get power to any of the glow plugs. It's very unlikely that all the gp's would go bad at once and as hard as it seems to start in cool weather my guess would be the relay.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM
kingriver
New User
Originally Posted by gdn
Before you start taking stuff apart, check the glow plug relay. They are known to go bad so it does not get power to any of the glow plugs. It's very unlikely that all the gp's would go bad at once and as hard as it seems to start in cool weather my guess would be the relay.

check the glow plug relay. IS this a fuse link, something in the fuse panel.

where on my engine would I look for this and how would I go about checking to see if it is good

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 PM
gdn
Senior User
I'll see if this link gets you to a post with info and pics of the GPR.[URL="https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1101667-picture-of-gpr-and-wires.html"]

Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
mountie
Senior User
Originally Posted by gdn

What he said.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 AM
jc8825
Posting Guru
When mine was hard to start last winter, it was the relay.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 PM
kingriver
New User
I located the relay today, when I have my wife turn the key on I can hear a click sound coming from the relay, would this mean it is fine ?
I am searching online how to check but I thought I read somewhere here that if its making a clicking sound more than likely its fine.

thanks

Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 PM
kingriver
New User
apparently a BAD GPR

Hello, well after some research online last night I came up with some information on how to check the GPR. Here is step by step of what I did!
1. volt meter checked voltage from chassis ground to battery + side
got reading of 12.38
2. then checked at GPR hot side in had 12.38
3. had wife turn key on had slight voltagechange on hotside of GPR - had wife turn off key
4. had wife turn on key again but this time I had voltmeter on 12V side out to glowplugs - I had a .1 reading-from the information I had gathered I believe it should be less than .2 lower than the original 12.38

5. I am pretty sure the GPR is bad, I have ordered as of last nite a Stanfor GPR online.

If this doesn't sound correct to you guys out there whom are more familiar please let me know

thanks
kingriver james

Quick Reply: 2000 F350 Lariat Superduty CC Shortbox 4x4