Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Keeping the Patina

Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM
dlb.motorman
Junior User
dlb.motorman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keeping the Patina

Got a 50 F-1 that was a station service truck. It has a LOT of patina with "Mobil" emblems on the doors and tailgate. Also has a lot of character patina as it has sat in a field for years. I'd like to keep the exterior looking just as it is, but clean up and rust repair/protect everything else. I'm not a paint expert so let me know, can I just shoot a clear paint covering over the patina to preserve it, or is there a better method?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
maverickman514 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
most everyone here is gonna tell you... WE MEED PICTURES!! lol

clearing over the patina will probably mess up the patina.....

I say just scrub it up, and let it go. why stop the patina, when you could allow it to naturally progress?
I understand (and agree) that you want/need to stop the rust, but in order to properly advise you on the best way to proceed, we're gonna need to see some detailed pics...

SO LET'S SEE THOSE PICTURES!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
HEAVY100
Senior User
HEAVY100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Let's see the pics !

Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
You should be able to clear coat over the patina. However, you need to dull the clear. You can also spray WD40 or try a paste wax to preserve the patina.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use a product called Ankorwax on my 57 wagon, works great. Dont know if ita available in the US tho. John

Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 PM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by lexcoe View Post
I use a product called Ankorwax on my 57 wagon, works great. Dont know if ita available in the US tho. John
Is there anything special in the formula/ingredients, or is it just a brand of car wax?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
dlb.motorman
Junior User
Patina

Well, let me see if I can figure out how to add a picture here.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
I really considered clearing over the patina but decided that I would be destroying what I was trying to preserve!

Great patinas are a passing thing, enjoy them while you can!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dlb.motorman View Post
Well, let me see if I can figure out how to add a picture here.

Love the tail gate! The whole truck is great. Glad you want to keep the great looks it has earned!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM
dlb.motorman
Junior User
Pics

How come I can't see the pictures I supposedly posted?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pic posting help needed is not unusual around here...and I'm no expert, sorry..hopefully others will chime in and offer some help in that dept....but PIC'S would be GREAT!

But in response to the original patina post..I agree with the rest, ..let it age as is and gracefully..alot depends of course on the imediate local enviroment.. moisture,humidity etc..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dlb.motorman View Post
How come I can't see the pictures I supposedly posted?
I could see them!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM
dlb.motorman
Junior User
PICs

Spurredon, I can see your pic too. The truck is cool with that patina btw. I only see a square with a red "X" in it for the pictures I posted.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Pictures have to be hosted on a 3rd party picture site, like flickr, etc. And no, you can't clear over the existing paint without drastically changing the look and ruining what you think you're saving. If you like the way it looks, leave it alone. If you're going to paint in in any way, you'll need to do the whole thing from scratch.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Ankorwax i have on my 57 was designed for outdoor farm machinery in England, it is applied with a brush, a rag or can be sprayed. Let it sit for awhile to penetrate then remove the excess. Works great, looks great. Google it and see for yourself. BTW, i am not associated with them in any way, i just really like the product. John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeping the Patina

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.