1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cummins or Powerstroke??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins or Powerstroke??

Ok, I have a couple questions about a diesel conversion for my truck.....Truck is a 99 F250 V10 4x4 with auto tranny. My question is would it be easier to do a cummins conversion (since they actually make a kit to do it minus the engine) or how difficult would it be to throw a 7.3 from around the same year into the truck??? What all would I need aside from the complete engine to put a 7.3 in vs a cummins? Only reason I'm considering going this route is that I am stuck with the truck for at least 3 more years cause I didn't do my research and turned upside down with the financing as soon as I drove off the lot!! The truck itself is super nice, just was really disappointed in that V10 when I pulled my jeep on a trailer over the mountains from Denver to Moab. Need more power!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Just out of curiosity - did you let your gasser scream through the mountain inclines? Usually it takes higher RPM's to generate power with the gassers - they will still get loads rolling, and your jeep on a trailer I wouldn't consider all that heavy - under 10k I would guess.

On another note, have you considered refinancing your truck? It is usually easier to do this while the truck is newer. Consider the amount of $$ that you are going to spend on the engine conversion and consider using that to re-finance and knock your current payment down. Then when you do that you will have more free'd up cash. Even if the finance rate is higher you can still make out pretty good and save some $$ by dropping your payment.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
What gear's do you have in the truck? 4.30s are popular with the V10 guys, if you have a lift and tires 4.56s are probably a better bet. Let the truck spool up to 4000-4500, maybe even 5k, it'll be a lot different then letting it chug along around 3k. Gears are a heck of a lot cheaper than a full engine swap.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6452458

A far as the pull goes, the stretch up 70 to the west side of the tunnel out of Dillon is where I broke my trucks in. My 2002 Ranger with the 4.0L V6 and 4.10s towed a 5k trailer up it just fine, just put it in 3rd and let the engine scream. The 4.6L V8 in a 2000 Expedition made the same pull even faster, I'd be very surprised if your V10 couldn't blow the shorts off both of those, that Expy was underpowered and heavy as lead.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Just out of curiosity - did you let your gasser scream through the mountain inclines? Usually it takes higher RPM's to generate power with the gassers - they will still get loads rolling, and your jeep on a trailer I wouldn't consider all that heavy - under 10k I would guess.
Yes, dropped in to second gear with the gas pedal touching the floor, was barely able to maintain 35mph up a few of the passes. The jeep and trailer combined was maybe about 8K lbs. Don't get me wrong, the engine is in excellent running condition too. And unfortunately, refinancing just isn't in the cards right now.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
What gear's do you have in the truck? 4.30s are popular with the V10 guys, if you have a lift and tires 4.56s are probably a better bet. Let the truck spool up to 4000-4500, maybe even 5k, it'll be a lot different then letting it chug along around 3k. Gears are a heck of a lot cheaper than a full engine swap.
My truck has 3.73's in it. And I know that is partially the problem. Truck is lifted and has larger than stock tires, but they're only 33's. And I had it wrapped up to 5k coming up the back side of vail I believe, and it could barely maintain 35mph. I literally had to move all the way to the right and put my flashers on. I know gearing would help some, and definitely be cheaper, but somewhere around $5k doesn't seem to bad to me to have the diesel engine. A diesel super duty was what I was looking for in the first place when I bought the truck, but was in a hurry so I could make my Moab trip, (literally had 2 days to buy) and not finding the deal I wanted, I settled and now regret it.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
something is wrong with your truck. you may think she is fine, but you shouldn't be bogging down that badly with a relatively light load like that.

have you done the basic tune-ups items?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Without analyzing why and criticizing your choice, to answer your question a 5.9L Cummins would be an easier swap, unless you found a donor truck (say a PSD that had been rolled) in which case a cab and bed swap would be easier.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
dirtydeeds
Senior User
It is the stock gears with bigger tires. Doesn't seem like your tires are all that big, but it does throw the whole power band off causing you to redline in first then bog in second (at least that's what it sounds like)

You have the power to pull those hills with that weight in 3rd, but you're way outta your power band.

Get some really aggressive gearing and it'll fix the problem, assuming the rest of the truck is in good shape.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
jndinmo
Senior User
If my V-10 ever craps out I am planning a 94-98 cummins swap. Since it's not a daily driver I can take my time with the swap which will be nice, but on the other hand the V-10 will probably last forever since it does not get driven much Your in the same boat as me 99 was the lowest powered V-10 and you always want more, truck trailer and load my 6.8 has pulled around 30,000 pounds. Just keep your foot on the floor and keep your eye on the gas gauge and you will get there. Personally I would not want to do a engine swap while making payments on a vehicle inless I had to.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Originally Posted by tylus
something is wrong with your truck. you may think she is fine, but you shouldn't be bogging down that badly with a relatively light load like that.

have you done the basic tune-ups items?

Yes the truck is well maintained, and basic tune ups are always done on schedule. The engine itself was not bogging down, never has. It performed just like it should. Just doesn't have the power. Like the other guys are saying, most is probably attributed to the gearing with the tad larger tires.

Originally Posted by redford
Without analyzing why and criticizing your choice, to answer your question a 5.9L Cummins would be an easier swap, unless you found a donor truck (say a PSD that had been rolled) in which case a cab and bed swap would be easier.
That's what I thought the answer might be. And to swap cab and bed to get an engine just isn't realistic for me. The cab and bed on my truck even though its a 99 are still in like new shape. So I think I'll be going the cummins route!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
It is the stock gears with bigger tires. Doesn't seem like your tires are all that big, but it does throw the whole power band off causing you to redline in first then bog in second (at least that's what it sounds like)

You have the power to pull those hills with that weight in 3rd, but you're way outta your power band.

Get some really aggressive gearing and it'll fix the problem, assuming the rest of the truck is in good shape.
Yeah, I think gearing would help quite a bit, but I'm still always going to be wanting and regretting not getting the diesel, so why not save the money on gears (since doing the cummins conversion they recommend having the 3.73's anyway) and putting that money toward the conversion. Some of you guys may not think its worth it, but in my eyes, and in my life, cheapest way for me to get the diesel truck I wanted in the first place, and have the power I need to pull my toys over the mountains. I know the V10 (especially geared) will do it, it's just not in the manner or fashion I'd like. Not to mention I'll be getting much better fuel economy by going to the diesel motor.....so in the long run, I'm saving money haha!!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Where are you getting the 5k number for a swap? Destroked gives the stats at more like 5k for the motor, plus 5k in parts, and another 5k for labor unless you have the facilities/ inclinations to do this yourself. The second the price tag gets over $7500, you could have a used late 90s/early 00s Dodge with the Cummins already in it, just for the cash you're dumping into the swap and not counting the payments you're making. It seems like you're trying to justify spending 5-10 grand in cash for this swap instead of taking a few grand worth of a bath getting out of your truck, and switching your payments to something that you actually want. I guess I'm just confused; if you have the cash for the conversion, put it with the truck you have and get into something you want. Unless you're $5k (or whatever the swap ends up costing) upside down right now, you're better off getting a different truck. If you're in this just for the sake of putting a Cummins in a Ford, you might not come out on top money wise, but you'll have your toy.

Edit: To be fair, if you really want to do it, it can be done. TO answer your original question, you don't just need the motor, you need all the accessories for it, engine mounts, a radiator and intercooler than can be plumbed to match, a new flex plate and maybe trans internals to get that the mount up, the fan and shroud has to be figured out to fit the Ford clip, you need an entire fuel system from the guts of the tank to a filter setup to the hard lines in the frame, a new exhaust system. How do you plumb the heater core and a/c compressor into the Ford ducts? What patches do you need to get the wiring harness on the 5.9 to run the cluster? Where do you put the 2nd battery tray? It's not like the engine just drops in and bolts up to what's there, you're replacing or altering 3/4s of the drivetrain, the entire fuel system, the exhaust, every wiring harness in front of the firewall, and patching into every harness behind it. Destroked it a good place to start to see the complexity of it; it's very possible, several guys have done it well, it's just not a weekend-warrior type swap you do in your driveway in your spare time.
http://www.fordcummins.com/99-07Ford5_4and6_8.pdf
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...9-cummins.html

Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could always throw a supercharger on your V-10

Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if your on a budget and it sure sounds like you are, then regearing is going to be WAYYYY cheaper in the long run..

and make it easier on your trucks trans to boot..

forget the cummins swap and just regear, not only can you regain the lost power you seek, but u can actualy gain power aswell..

i'd jump to 4:56 and call it a day. if you have the $$$ left over after i'd strongly suggest a 5-star SCT and a custom tune.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM
jeepzj94
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Where are you getting the 5k number for a swap? Destroked gives the stats at more like 5k for the motor, plus 5k in parts, and another 5k for labor unless you have the facilities/ inclinations to do this yourself. The second the price tag gets over $7500, you could have a used late 90s/early 00s Dodge with the Cummins already in it, just for the cash you're dumping into the swap and not counting the payments you're making. It seems like you're trying to justify spending 5-10 grand in cash for this swap instead of taking a few grand worth of a bath getting out of your truck, and switching your payments to something that you actually want. I guess I'm just confused; if you have the cash for the conversion, put it with the truck you have and get into something you want. Unless you're $5k (or whatever the swap ends up costing) upside down right now, you're better off getting a different truck. If you're in this just for the sake of putting a Cummins in a Ford, you might not come out on top money wise, but you'll have your toy.

Edit: To be fair, if you really want to do it, it can be done. TO answer your original question, you don't just need the motor, you need all the accessories for it, engine mounts, a radiator and intercooler than can be plumbed to match, a new flex plate and maybe trans internals to get that the mount up, might have to relocate the trans crossmember to account for the length of the Cummins inline 6, that means new d-shafts, the fan and shroud has to be figured out to fit the Ford clip, you need an entire fuel system from the tank itself to a filter setup to the hard lines in the frame, a new exhaust system. How do you plumb the heater core and a/c compressor into the Ford ducts? What patches do you need to get the wiring harness on the 5.9 to run the cluster? It's not like the engine just drops in and bolts up to what's there, you're replacing or altering 3/4s of the drivetrain, the entire fuel system, the exhaust, every wiring harness in front of the firewall, and patching into every harness behind it. Destroked it a good place to start to see the complexity of it; it's very possible, several guys have done it well, it's just not a weekend-warrior type swap you do in your driveway in your spare time.
I was just estimating the $5k number based on what I'm seeing those engines go for on craigslist (average for a good complete used was $1500-$2000) and the $3,200 price for the kit that comes with the main parts necessary to do the conversion. The kit I'm talking about is from fordcummins.com http://www.fordcummins.com/Est_FCPN_...m_BRADLEY_.pdf Anyway, Like I said around $5k give or take. More likely give. I guess that I'm just concerned that even after gearing, and possibly a tuner and tune, it still isn't going to compare to the diesels. And its going to drink much more gas then before. I was just so disappointed in the V10 that its hard to imagine it being any better than it is right now as it sits in my truck. I had read a lot of the PSD vs V10 thread before buying which is why I settled and assumed the V10 would be adequate. Maybe it can be with proper gears. And those saying why not just take that estimated $5k and put it towards the loan on the truck, well that would only pay about 1/2 of it off. Although that would take care of it being upside down and allow me to sell it if I wanted.

I appreciate all the info you guys have given me, and trying to save me money time and probably lots of headaches. You've convinced me to just spring for some 4.56's and see how that works out. Possibly a tuner if I feel I need anymore after. I swear, sometimes I get these ideas in my head and just get carried away before considering other routes.

Quick Reply: Cummins or Powerstroke??