254 Flathead Six Industrial Power Unit

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 AM
captainwrc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
254 Flathead Six Industrial Power Unit

I recently got a 254 flathead six in an industrial power unit that I would like to get running and use to power some equipment. It has a Rockford PTO with a five v-belt pulley, and as far as I can tell is complete except for the exhaust. It has a rigged pipe going out the back instead of a vertical stack. Also the exhaust manifold is in pieces. No idea how long it's been since it ran, but it is not stuck.After looking around on the internet, I found that this is not exactly an easy engine to find information about or find parts for. Does anyone have insight on where to find information both about both the 254 engine and about the power unit specifics like the governor, etc? At the very least I thought someone might enjoy seeing what it looks like. Any information would be greatly appreciated...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
254 Flathead Six

Captain,
I also have been looking for information on this motor so anything you come across would be great if you can share. The motor I have is on a 9n using a Funk conversion.

Mine has a Chrysler Ball & Ball carb and no governor. It looks like the one you have has the original carb and governor. Can you post the model numbers for the carb and gov?

There is another user that I have been talking to with two of these motors on here that is selling one and parting one out about getting the carb from and maybe the starter and gov as well. He might have a manifold that you can pick up, is user name is Merc 52 and posted in the For sale forum. From what I have read about this the manifolds are very hard to come by and often crack when you try to remove them. I have talked to a few people that have had headers welded up which might be your best bet if Merc doesn't have one.

-Ethan

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice unit! for info, try the old motors or chilton manuals. you can find these at vendor booths at different car events.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
captainwrc
New User
Ethan- I think it might be the original governor but I'm not completely sure. There is some linkage that appears to have been rigged. I can't make out the model number on it or the carburetor at the moment, someone blanketed the entire thing in yellow paint at some point. When I get a couple other things put together I'll tear into it and let you know. Thanks for the heads up on the parts.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Senior User
From what I can see, it looks like the governor that Ford N-series tractors used, so it could be original. Appears to be gear driven, so that adds to my suspicion. A "rigged' governor would probably have been belt driven. The linkage to the carb looks right. If the other linkage looks rigged, it may have been "fixed" at one time.

Not sure, but I believe the carb to be a 7HA or 8HA 1 bbl, same as the carb from the 226" six. Again, I can't say for sure, as I don't have my parts book in front of me.

EDIT--carburetor for the 254 is part number 8MTH. I believe it would be marked as such. I still vote for the updraft setup.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Senior User
Originally Posted by NeoCowboy
Captain,
I also have been looking for information on this motor so anything you come across would be great if you can share. The motor I have is on a 9n using a Funk conversion.

Mine has a Chrysler Ball & Ball carb and no governor. It looks like the one you have has the original carb and governor. Can you post the model numbers for the carb and gov?

There is another user that I have been talking to with two of these motors on here that is selling one and parting one out about getting the carb from and maybe the starter and gov as well. He might have a manifold that you can pick up, is user name is Merc 52 and posted in the For sale forum. From what I have read about this the manifolds are very hard to come by and often crack when you try to remove them. I have talked to a few people that have had headers welded up which might be your best bet if Merc doesn't have one.

-Ethan
You could try a 1904, but I have a feeling you may be much happier if you found an updraft carburetor and manifold from a COE Ford. This would certainly solve your clearance problems and appear more "tractor" like. It may not be as easy as finding a part for a SBC, but these carburetors/manifolds are out there. Put an ad on the forum to see if someone has such a creature hiding in their barn. Check ebay as well. Many COEs get hot-rodded and the original drivetrains are parted out, or the updraft plumbing taken off a COE engine and replaced with downdraft items to be used in other applications, etc.

A thought occurred to me, check with Bob Jones, he has parted several Ford trucks. I think his user name on the 48-60 forum is Bobj49f2.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
aguynsd
New User
we also have a 8n with a 6 cyl funk conversion. I think the governer is the same as a 8n, not positive. also a flathead car engine you might be able to parts from, we used a carburetor from one on our tractor.
try looking at dennis-carpenter.com