Best Tonneau cover choices for snow/ice/rain - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Best Tonneau cover choices for snow/ice/rain

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
RickBetterley is starting off with a positive reputation.

Choosing a tonneau cover for my soon-to-be-delivered 2012 F250 extended bed.
I keep my truck outdoors and it will get lots of snow and ice in Maine; although I will clear it off, it's difficult to get it all.
Thoughts so far:
Retractable covers look neat, but I am worried about them jamming when the ice gets into them. Do they?
I don't want to give bed space up to a canister. Peragon has a retractable that doesn't require a canister; although it does consume some space in the bed, it is only when it is retracted. Any experience with how it performs in snow/ice and how water tight it is?
BakFlip is an alternative; I can live with it covering my back window on the rare occasions it is folded; how do they perform in snow/ice and how water tight are they?
Or, should I stick with a quality roll up?
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
Choosing a tonneau cover for my soon-to-be-delivered 2012 F250 extended bed.
I keep my truck outdoors and it will get lots of snow and ice in Maine; although I will clear it off, it's difficult to get it all.
Thoughts so far:
Retractable covers look neat, but I am worried about them jamming when the ice gets into them. Do they?
I don't want to give bed space up to a canister. Peragon has a retractable that doesn't require a canister; although it does consume some space in the bed, it is only when it is retracted. Any experience with how it performs in snow/ice and how water tight it is?
Rick -

Glad to hear you're considering a Peragon truck bed cover!

Our production facility is located in far northern Minnesota - Bemidji, MN to be exact. We live, work and play through some pretty harsh winters - similar I'm guessing to what you see in Maine. From day one, operation in ice and snow conditions has influenced our design process and the Peragon cover does very well.

To be fair, winter can be a pain and there will be times (1/2" of freezing rain) when it will take some time to clean off our cover so you can open it. It doesn't need to be perfectly cleaned off, some light snow or a crust of ice left is fine.

The big advantage Peragon has over every other retractable bed cover is that we do not have a canister - no closed space where ice and snow can build up and prevent operation entirely. Once you sweep off our cover you will be able to open it.

Our guide rail system is robust extruded aluminum that has been designed so there are no water traps where ice could build up and keep the cover from operating.

All of our operating components are concealed so they will not freeze. The only thing that faces the elements is our key lock and it is protected by a high quality Southco rubber cap that is water/ice proof. There are some nice closeup photos of this area on our web site Key Locking section.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
It sounds like you are wanting to go another route with a tonneu cover, however I will throw the fiberglass hard tonneu in the mix. I had one on my 2003 silverado that I had for 6-7 years and it went through many Ohio winters. I didn't have any issues with it sealing as the fiberglass overlapped the bed rails and the tailgate.

The biggest pain was the lock freezing up, but that was easy with a bit of heat.

I had a big tall cap (mid height Leer 180) on my F250 I used to have. That was real nice - the space was awesome as I never had to take it off for anything I moved around. The T handle locks also froze up in the winter, but heat did the trick.

Currently I have an Extang Full Tilt fabric tonneu on my F350. It does the job for now (which is why I got it) but it is only intended as a temporary cover. I can't have an open bed truck. I am also going to be getting another Leer 180 cap for this truck in the near future. I need the space and protection, plus I can use it as a camper. The upshot with my Extang fabric tonneu is I can throw that back on if I am hauling loose materials (dirt, mulch, etc) or I need to pull a goose neck trailer. I'll have to take the Leer cap off to do that, but if I know I am going to I can take it off and throw the Extang back on real quick and have the best of both worlds.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
mach8274
Senior User
mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I also have the Extang Full Tilt on my truck. I have had it for about 4 months and am very happy with it. Very easy to remove/roll up when it's not needed. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
I had this on my 06 250. Diamondback HD Aluminum Diamondplate truck cover. Can hold 1600 lbs on top and opens/locks on the front and back ends. This cover was super durable and could be removed/installed in about 10 minutes, by myself. Weather strip sealed it well and has gutters in the middle to route rain water away. Snow and ice? It holds 1600lbs! The plus side for me was that is wasnt a painted top so you werent worriend about surface scratches show you could broom the snow off. Unfortunately I dont have that truck anymore so the cover is collecting dust in my garage. Tonneau cover....forget it, had enough of those break due to snow and rain.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Thanks, guys - this is helpful.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Must not be many folks using retractable tonneau covers in the snow belt, based on the responses.
Or maybe they're just out having fun while I obsess over which type of tonneau to buy.
Or ignoring any post with the word 'snow' in it?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
snelldawg
Elder User
snelldawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had an Access Tonneau cover that I was very happy with. The snow brushed right off of it. And there were times when there was a lot of snow on it. I sold that with my toolbox to make room for an ATV. When I don't have my ATV in the bed I wish that I still had the toolbox/tonneau combo.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.Peragon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Must not be many folks using retractable tonneau covers in the snow belt, based on the responses.
Or maybe they're just out having fun while I obsess over which type of tonneau to buy.
Or ignoring any post with the word 'snow' in it?
Rick -

We have a long time customer in Vermont who could give you some insight into how our cover performs in the winter. If you're interested in talking with him, please PM me your contact information (email and/or phone) and I'll pass it along to him.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peragon View Post
Rick -

We have a long time customer in Vermont who could give you some insight into how our cover performs in the winter. If you're interested in talking with him, please PM me your contact information (email and/or phone) and I'll pass it along to him.
Thanks; I called it in to Roger.
That is some very impressive customer sales and service you are showing me.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Yamaha0219
Junior User
Yamaha0219 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a Bakflip F1 in the spring so I haven't put it through a winter yet (live in NJ, go to school in PA). However, as far as rain goes, it is water tight, the only downside is you have to deal with drain hoses. However, I'm about to do a semi-popular mod in which you put a couple small 90 degree fittings in and you're able to drain it through a hole located on the inside of your stake pockets. The two side rails bolt right up to the bed and seal the sides, and they supply a weather strip for the front. I had to add a little plumber's putty to the front to seal a couple spots I could see daylight, I think its because of my bed liner. I know they say the F1 will hold like 400lbs so I think it will be fine in the snow. Based on the design of how everything is underneath, I think it should be problem free throughout the winter. The roll up from Bak caught my eye, but I didn't want to lose the room to the canister.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Thanks; I called it in to Roger.
That is some very impressive customer sales and service you are showing me.
Great! If we can help any further, please let us know.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
I thought about the retractable type but I just had too many concerns with the snow and ice during the winter, not to mention any potential salt damage. When I found that cover I posted I knew I had to have it because it looked indestructible and it sure was! I liked how it opened and wouldn't have to worry about the cover not retacting because of ice buildup. Last winter my was covered with ice almost the whole time. Easy to get the ice of with a scraper without damage.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 09-22-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: remove "for sale" plug
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
They also come in black linex'd.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
I have an Armor Lid on my '07. Snow and ice are no issue. You can walk on the lid.

ArmorLid Hard ABS Tonneau Cover