1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Identification Help

I saw this tranny listed on Craigslist, I was wondering if I can get some help determining if I can use it on my '99 f250 supercab 4x4 7.3.

I'm at 167k miles, not expecting it to last much longer, so I'm shopping ahead of time...

Here is a link to CL site: Ford Allison Transmission

I talked to the guy this morning, he is not a Ford guy, had his son's father-in-law look at it (who worked for GM for 30yrs) and he says it's for 99-03 superdutys and it has been rebuilt. It was rejected freight due to oil leaking out of shipping container.

To me, all that info translates into "they don't know squat, and I better do my homework before I jump"

The pics show it is a 4R100 Transtar Ind.

Casting number is RFF 81P-7006-CA

Two part numbers; T771AA or 36-RAD
Two serial numbers;1we2406300 or W018249

The two different sets of numbers may be for the transmission and the packing case. Not sure as I have to drive about an hour away to put my eyeballs on it.

Based on this info & pic of unit is there a way to tell with more certainty that it will be correct item for my truck?

Any Help or directions to an answer would be great!!

As with most things that appear to be to good to be true, it probably isn't as it looks....but if I got to about 90% certain, i might go for it. I have time on my side for now, my current transmission is not slipping but it isn't long for this world either.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Well one thing is certain, it's not an Allison! As far as I know, Ford never used their transmissions in pickups. The 4R100 is the right tranny for that truck though - but I don't know enough just by looking to tell the difference though. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can.

...Paging Mark K....

Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Ford never installed an Allison transmission in anything smaller than an F650. That is a 4R100 trans. I can't tell which case it has, it fits either a 7.3L or a modular gas engine.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
I forgot to say that the word Allison only further led me to the conclusion that this guy has know idea whats going on!

Mark, I appreciate your attention, I have seen many posts on transmissions from you, and you have been quite a resource here on FTE.

So, let me ask you;
Anything I can look for if I make the drive to go see it?

Is there any difference between a 4r100 for 4x2 or 4x4?

Anyway I can tell if it has been rebuilt?

You've seen the deal, is it worth a shot in your opinion?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

That's a 4x4 trans. It will not fit a 4x2 without a rebuild. It has been rebuilt, stock transmissions don't say Transtar on them. Transtar makes replacement transmission parts. I think they sell complete rebuilt transmissions, too.

I don't know how to tell you the way to tell if it is a gas or diesel case.

$450 is really cheap for a good 4R100.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Could you give those numbers to Transtar and have them them tell you the application?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Oil leakage

Thank you all for your replies, I have contacted Transtar here locally but was only able to leave a message, not expecting a return call, since I'm not buying anything. I'll do my best to keep pestering though!

I'm gonna head down there on Thursday to take a look at the unit, I am curious about the oil leak...I wish I knew for sure the Gas vs Diesel question, but I agree with Mark that it's a heck of a deal, and if I can't use it I should be able to find a FTE user who can!

Which brings me to my last question;

Can fluid leak out if the unit was merely tilted, or would it have to be damaged to leak fluid into the shipping container, i.e. take a hit big enough to crack something?

I'm assuming there is no TC, so it seems to me that it would be fluid-tight...but I will confess to being a Transmission Neophyte, having only pulled one off once.

Any other suggestions for me when I go look at it?

P.S. - Statement of the Obvious; FTE rocks!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

If it has been sitting long enough with the torque converter installed and full of fluid it isn't uncommon to leak. After a while the torque converter will drain into the pan so the trans appears overfilled. Then it can leak out of the dipstick tube. Tilting it can also cause a leak. Either leak would not happen in a truck.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You cant trust anyone from Canton, Or Stark county for that matter.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
trans update

I talked to Transtar this morning, they confirmed that it is a 4r100 by the part number, but could not tell me if it was for gas or diesel. He said the only difference is the Torque converter.

Is that true? If so, can't i just use my existing t.c. or get a replacement before I install?

Based on my research here, it seems more involved than just a different tc, I get the impression there is a difference in the bell housing...but I can't find a definitive answer. I'm gonna take better pics of the unit and post them here...

Or just buy the sucker and figure it out.....

And, Franko72, as a Geauga County boy, I couldn't agree with you more!!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Willmott
I talked to Transtar this morning, they confirmed that it is a 4r100 by the part number, but could not tell me if it was for gas or diesel. He said the only difference is the Torque converter.

Is that true? If so, can't i just use my existing t.c. or get a replacement before I install?

Based on my research here, it seems more involved than just a different tc, I get the impression there is a difference in the bell housing...but I can't find a definitive answer. I'm gonna take better pics of the unit and post them here...

Or just buy the sucker and figure it out.....

I was under the impression that the bellhousing bolt patterns were different from diesel to gas. Torque converter's are different.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Ed Willmott
I'm an ex Cuyahoga, Lake, Summit, and Portage county guy.
Just got tire of the cold weather.
It has to be more than just the TC I'll see what I can find out for ya.

My ex wife lives in Geauga County. Avoid and Heathers...trust me.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
"Gassers use a 7 bolt bell housing, the diesel has only 6."
Thats the only info I could find, couldn't find a good pic of the bellhousings.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Counting Bolt Holes

Thanks Franko! If that's all I have to do is count holes, i can manage that, without even having to take off my shoes!

BUT...I would think Mark K. would have easily told me that difference....

Sometimes things seem unknowable...

Put-up or shut-up times approaches rapidly for me, as I'm going there tomorrow.

How much is a torque converter cost? I've seen one on here that was $1000, supposedly $1200 new...

Is there a visible difference in the tc that might help me identify it as gas or diesel?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Oh, yeah...thanks for the Heather heads-up!! Haven't run across one out here yet, but the devil always has great legs...

Quick Reply: Transmission Identification Help