1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pics of my truck today

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning Jeff
Stupid people spaming or your cool thread.
I think that Dale and Ilya are talking about the metal strips that hold the boards down,But I guess you have the bed with the metal floor.
Correct me if Im wrong.
are you going to rock the long bed??

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
Morning Jeff
Stupid people spaming or your cool thread.
I think that Dale and Ilya are talking about the metal strips that hold the boards down,But I guess you have the bed with the metal floor.
Correct me if Im wrong
OHHH!!!!! I need more coffee ! I was thinking RUNNING boards!
Ok on track now! Thanks Seth!

edit: and my bed had wood, there are 1" pieces left in the bed, leftover from a saws-all job.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
are you going to rock the long bed??
And good morning to you sir!
Again more coffee needed, explain rock the long bed...i got my own thoughts..but...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you going to keep the long bed or are u going to shorten it.either way it looks cool

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Are you going to keep the long bed or are u going to shorten it.either way it looks cool
I'm going to stick with the longbed at this point. I don't want to deal with shortening the frame or shortening the bed, or a different shortbed or so on and so forth. I have thought about it and i go back and forth, but at least for now, it is what it is.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff, the front of my bed was also bowed out. I cut the spot welds and removed the entire panel to work on it. I had lots of shrinking to do (po hauled cinder blocks) and it was far easier to fix being able to lay it on a flat surface. You may have to remove the rolled top portion and replace it with tubing.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rhopper
Jeff, the front of my bed was also bowed out. I cut the spot welds and removed the entire panel to work on it. I had lots of shrinking to do (po hauled cinder blocks) and it was far easier to fix being able to lay it on a flat surface. You may have to remove the rolled top portion and replace it with tubing.
Hi Rusty, I was planning on taking the bed apart to do that, how is the rolled top, on the front panel supposed to be attached to the sides or are they?
they have been welded and are cracked so i assume that's not right.
I was gonna take out the rivets and use a round headed bolt replacement. like a buttonhead bolt? I know you can buy new rivets but i don't have the equipment to install solid rivets. When I was in the aircraft division of the US Navy, we used soild rivets but they were aluminum.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
james rich
New User
hi jeff on sunday my dauter and i made what we call the loop 10 miles of back country roads. we pulled into drive the boss wanted to go give it a try WELL she has a lead foot 3 times she was told to slow down she said that it goes ok but the breks dont slow it fast enouh.we had good hour driveing the truck. jim and sam

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by james rich
hi jeff on sunday my dauter and i made what we call the loop 10 miles of back country roads. we pulled into drive the boss wanted to go give it a try WELL she has a lead foot 3 times she was told to slow down she said that it goes ok but the breks dont slow it fast enouh.we had good hour driveing the truck. jim and sam
Hi Jim! That sounds like a good time to me! Glad to hear you got them out on the road(truck and daughter)!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Looking good Jeff, .. the "mocking things up with a freshly painted frame" stage, should give any cold-blooded American Hot-Rodder enough fuel to follow thru to the end of a project....you are well on your way....for me, learning the smaller details of how the sheetmetal was supposed to look like finished..then learning how to do it, was the most rewarding part of my project..because I had NO idea what I was doing..and later it looked so good on the frame,..even in primer! One step (panel) at a time..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cmoritz
Looking good Jeff, .. the "mocking things up with a freshly painted frame" stage, should give any cold-blooded American Hot-Rodder enough fuel to follow thru to the end of a project....you are well on your way....for me, learning the smaller details of how the sheetmetal was supposed to look like finished..then learning how to do it, was the most rewarding part of my project..because I had NO idea what I was doing..and later it looked so good on the frame,..even in primer! One step (panel) at a time..
I have done my share of bodywork and now its time to improve upon my experiences! Funny you mention bodywork...I was in the garage tonight shadow priming a rear fender and board sanding to see the low and high spots. Oh wow do I got some sheetmetal work to do! I like it cause it is so rewarding, as you said! I have been searching for some decent body hammer/dolly stuff and I want one of those shrinking disks! I want to use as little filler as possible. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I was just curious if you happen to have pictures or a thread about your IFS install. Love the thread though!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmmm, so Jeff likes body work. Joe doesn't. Joe likes mechanical work and wiring. Jeff doesn't. Methinks there should be a labor swap arrangement in the works here!

It's looking good, man. Keep after it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I was just curious if you happen to have pictures or a thread about your IFS install. Love the thread though!
I have some pics of my Jag IFS in my albums but I will be the first to admit...I am not real good with organization of them. Look thru my albums and I can take some for ya if you want.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Hmmmm, so Jeff likes body work. Joe doesn't. Joe likes mechanical work and wiring. Jeff doesn't. Methinks there should be a labor swap arrangement in the works here!

It's looking good, man. Keep after it.

But I never said I was good at it!

Quick Reply: Pics of my truck today