1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'52 problem stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
dagwood387
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'52 problem stalling

Ok I just got my '52 back today after having it painted etc- Driving down the road on the way home, about 6 or 8 times it starts to jerk (as if I was stepping on the gas and taking my foot off again and again) and if I didnt pull over and stop, it would stall out. It wasnt happening when I was accellerating per se, just as I was going down the road at a steady pace. I even tried slowing down and dropping it into second, but it continued t do it. When I'd stop and then start out again, its fine for a while but then does it again.

Engine sounds good when its running, Carb is new, fuel line is fine, nothing was dripping or anything when I reved the engine, everything seems to be fine. Any suggestions on what to check/ what the problem might be?
Thanks

Darren

Old 09-17-2011, 05:04 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you hve any fuel filters in the system? You should have one from the tank to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Check them. They may be plugged up. If they're metal or plastic filters, remove them and tap it on the ground. You may see the junk come out.

Similar thing happened in my Airflow a few years ago. It would rev and drive fine, but as soon as I let it coast, the car would eventually die. The first time it happened, I thought I ran out of gas. The second time it happened, on the same trip home, I knew something was wrong. I limped like this for a few miles until I got home. I removed both fuel filters and both were gunked up. Replaced them and no problems.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Crazy things happen. I've often told the story here about having a plastic price label swirling around in my gas tank. It probably came off a bottle of additive or heet. From time to time it would float over the outlet and shut things down. As soon as the suction was stopped it would float back off and the truck would run normally - until it did it again.

Intermittant hesitation like you describe - tank off so often I could remove it in 10 minutes and have it dumped into 5 gal buckets. Finally saw the little sucker floating in one of the buckets - tough to see cause it was clear.

May not be your problem, but it might help somebody else and worth keeping tucked away for reference.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:01 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
happened to me too i took my gas tank and found a 7up bottle cap....
im chopping my kids hands off tomorrow

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup--i'm going with something in the tank, could even be a bit of rust. use and check those filters. aren't too many people that drive these old dogs that haven't experienced this one.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 AM
DumbLuck
Senior User
Driving home right after a new paint job? Don't overlook the obvious, paint, painters tape or some such over the gas tank vent or gas cap.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM
dagwood387
Junior User
Thanks for the suggestions- I'll have to check out the fuel filters and see if that's the problem- My buddy kinda thought the same thing-

I put gas in it on the way home, so there isnt anything like tape under the cap. They guy who painted it noticed it first when he drove it around the block after he replaced the king pins.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by dagwood387

I put gas in it on the way home, so there isnt anything like tape under the cap.
I think the point is, there may have been tape or cardboard on the filler, that fell into the tank when being removed. Shine a light down in the tank, you never know what you'll see...

Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I found remnants of a lock from a locking gas cap inside the fuel tank in my Airflow. Appears that one of the PO's lost a key and punched out the lock cylinder in the gas cap causing the remnants to fall down and into the gas tank.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

For months I been bitching and moaning about my truck running like crap.
Bought new parts,got my carb rebuilt.
finally my truck was running better...for a week.then:
it started stalling again...
someone on FTE suggested to check the tank.
I thought to myself:"I just cleaned the tank last month,it was clean,no rust no nothing".My fuel filters were clean so I dint blieve the tank was clogged or something was floating around.
Yesterday My truck stalled again so I decided to check the tank.
I tried to drain the gas from the tank with the drain plug under the cab and nothing came out.
I disconnected the fuel line and nothing came out.
I stuck a paper clip up the little hole and gas came gushing out.
Took the tank out and found a soda cap in there.
took the cap out and cleaned the crap out of the tank.
Put gas in there and tried to drain it and nothing came out.
I had to take the whole drain assembly to find a clear piece of plastic that fit perfectly in the drain plug and it was not letting gas come out.
Installed tank and put gas drove for a mile and IT STALLED!!!!!1
Finally I just put a new fuel line and found out a bunch of junk in the old line.
I was lazy and didnt believe this guys They could have saved me alot of time and money....

BTW.:If ya want to work on yer truck,dont lower it unless you use airbags or have a lift in yer garage

Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
That's why I've had a locking gas cap on my truck since i put it on the road. Also after the label fiasco I made a roll of metal screen about 1 1/2" long and stuck it in the outlet, effectively creating a stand pipe. Crud and debris has to be pretty big to cause problems now.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by mtflat
That's why I've had a locking gas cap on my truck since i put it on the road. Also after the label fiasco I made a roll of metal screen about 1 1/2" long and stuck it in the outlet, effectively creating a stand pipe. Crud and debris has to be pretty big to cause problems now.
I was thinking of how to put some screen in the tank.
im gonna steal your idea.
Locking caps look so ugly tho

Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Check out these:

Fuel filter screens Petcock filters Triumph Norton BSA | eBay

Almost all motorcycle pet***** have screens like these, that press into the inlet of a petcock.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Check out these:

Fuel filter screens Petcock filters Triumph Norton BSA | eBay

Almost all motorcycle pet***** have screens like these, that press into the inlet of a petcock.
I bought a fuel filter with the screen inside, similar to what Ross posted, from the local auto parts store chain. I have had it in my Airflow since the previous fuel filter got clogged. The nice thing about having a screen is that you can remove and clean it.

EDIT: I found the fuel filter that I bought. It's a Mr. Gasket 9706 Universal Clearview Fuel Filter. http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9706...6410984&sr=1-6. You can also purchase replacement screens - Mr. Gasket 896 Fuel Filter Element: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-Fuel...gy_auto_text_b

Another brand is available, which is slightly cheaper. It's a Spectre 2369 Universal Clear View Fuel Filter: http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-2369-U...6410984&sr=1-8. Replacement filter screens are also available - Spectre 2358 ClearView and Pro-Plumbing Fuel Filter Replacement Element Kit: http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-2358-C...gy_auto_text_b

Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

so this screens will fit into the gas filler tube with no modifications?

Quick Reply: '52 problem stalling