Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Reload this Page >

shake/shudder at low RPM (mostly after immediately shifting in to OD at around 40mph)

Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

shake/shudder at low RPM (mostly after immediately shifting in to OD at around 40mph)

Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
hookedondiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the moral of this story is that,
Mcgiveral and Bluegrass 7 have made excellent comments on this issue.
Change the plugs and coils and wires, before going to a trans shop.
If you cant' afford all the coils in one shot, then eliminate the faulty
one by process of elimination, one at a time.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM
jhowel34
New User
jhowel34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same shutter issue around 40mph with mine and realize it is probably a coil problem. This may be a stupid question but my battery is really weak and I am trying to delay getting a new one. I read somewhere in here about low voltage at the coil cause it to miss read could a weak battery possibly be causing this problem? I never noticed the problem before my battery was weak.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
jhowel34,
No it's not battery related because the alternator supplies the power to run the motor and rest of the truck.
If you were to monitor the system voltage you would see it at about 14.2 +/- or higher as long as the alternator has no problem reguardless of how bad the battery might be for capacity.
If the battery has a bad cell, the voltage will be higher not lower because the regulator is still trying to charge a bad battery at the higher voltage.
It's winter time so get your battery replaced before it lets you set some place.
Then worry about the missfire. A truck that dosn't run dosen't missfire either.
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
cyberdos
New User
cyberdos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bluegrass 7-
I've been following your posts on several threads and I'd like to thank you for your very informative and thorough posts.

This weekends I took on the task of changing out all 8 coils and plugs to try and solve this issue. The problem is exactly as stated in this and many other threads. 40-50mph shudder when cruising. not existent when hard on throttle. However, the problem persists. I replaced them all with Motorcraft parts.

I'm at a loss and extremely disappointed that after all that I'm back to square one. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
cyberdos,
I looked back through this thread to see if you posted.
Maybe you have some other issue.
If you had posted before, repeat your issue or start a new thread so we may look at it from a different point.
At this time I don't know what you had for a problem.
Maybe there is a different diagnosis for it.
Be precise because the EGR system can be involved for missfires, intermittant harness etc..
Good luck.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
2Fords1Jeep
Elder User
2Fords1Jeep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Get the transmission fluid flushed and have them add Ford Motorcraft XL3 LSD Friction Modifier Gear Oil Additive.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
king-david
Senior User
king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks like another weekend project... I've changed all my COPs and Plugs a few months back... Tranny Flush it is...

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
hookedondiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lets not forget, guys, check for codes also, even though the light isn't on,
you may still have a code set.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 AM
rmccbride
Senior User
rmccbride is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by king-david View Post
Looks like another weekend project... I've changed all my COPs and Plugs a few months back... Tranny Flush it is...

You changed them because of this problem? And it did not fix it? OK try the trans flush..Or you changed them just for the heck of it and now you have this problem? Find the weak COP.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 AM
king-david
Senior User
king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
Had a different issue a few months back. This just started. I guess its possible one of the COPs went bad too though.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 AM
rmccbride
Senior User
Originally Posted by king-david View Post
Had a different issue a few months back. This just started. I guess its possible one of the COPs went bad too though.

What issue caused you to change all the plugs and COP's? And did this fix the issue?

I only do it when needed..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Rmvr53
Freshman User
Rmvr53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
same problem...kinda

I am experiencing a similar problem 'cept it doesn't matter if the OD is on or off. Low RPM, usually under load (like up a small hill) and low speed (30-40mph). The truck "bucks" or Shudders" 4 or 5 times then smooths out. It doesn't do it every time, but you can make it do it by replicating the conditions. Hard throttle - no issues. From the responses posted, I assume I'm not looking at a tranny problem but an ignition problem? The truck does need plugs so I will start there. Any recommendation on what type to install? I do a lot of towing with it - bout once a month I have something behind it - car, horse, etc trailer- and it current las 150,000 miles on it.

thanks

Bill

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM
JWC 3
Post Fiend
JWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputationJWC 3 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Rmvr53 View Post
I am experiencing a similar problem 'cept it doesn't matter if the OD is on or off. Low RPM, usually under load (like up a small hill) and low speed (30-40mph). The truck "bucks" or Shudders" 4 or 5 times then smooths out. It doesn't do it every time, but you can make it do it by replicating the conditions. Hard throttle - no issues. From the responses posted, I assume I'm not looking at a tranny problem but an ignition problem? The truck does need plugs so I will start there. Any recommendation on what type to install? I do a lot of towing with it - bout once a month I have something behind it - car, horse, etc trailer- and it current las 150,000 miles on it.

thanks

Bill
I would use Motorcraft plugs .And replace the coil boots while at it .

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
rmccbride
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rmvr53 View Post

thanks

Bill

Sounds like a weak coil on plug (COP) new plugs will fix it for a couple of weeks. Try to force it to do it long enough to flash the check engine light and then scan for which COP is weak and replace it.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Rmvr53
Freshman User
Rmvr53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had planned on Autolite or Motorcraft plugs - but I saw where there are 4 different temp ranges for this engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shake/shudder at low RPM (mostly after immediately shifting in to OD at around 40mph)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.