Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Base Line Dyno run on the PRE-STROKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94 smokin stroker
To me nos is better it makes sense I think heres my theroy.... on a gas you can control the point of ignition cause the spark sets it off at the same point each time. On a diesel though you cant with power adders altering the explosion and fuel makeup and propane and methanol are more volitile than diesel fuel so they can go off at any point of the compression stroke they are very moody and make big problems possibly. I am not saying my theory is right and i know lots of guys use propane and methanol but you see way more spraying nos and in way larger shots to the reason is it is more user and point of ignition friendly. Also lets look at this factor to what does propane do with your egt's they go up more methanol helps but only if you do water with it. Nos will net you more power while stopping that pyro when you induce it into the mix. I personally saw a 7.3 powerstroke with stage one injectors a garret 38r turbo and valvesprings got iirc 240thousand plus miles and its running powder metal connecting rods which the cardinal rule says dont exceed 400hp at max with i think he made like 350-420hp with that. Well a guy who was spraying on his truck took the hose stuck it up the intake right infront of the turbo ran the hose into the cab had bottle in passenger side of the truck mentioned. The truck on his last pull the guy turned on the bottle the numbers were 566hp 1006tq and that was with that crude setup he did in 5min im sold on nos. Just my theroy and 2 cents not poking anybodys buttons i hope
Diesels love nos for sure. You can make some big power with it. The thing is that nos is expensive and you run out rather quickly where as propane and water/methanol can be run for longer periods of time. But propane and water/methanol are only good in moderation and if overused can be harmful to an engine. Could you imagine adding nos and propane...damn that thing would make some power!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
Diesels love nos for sure. You can make some big power with it. The thing is that nos is expensive and you run out rather quickly where as propane and water/methanol can be run for longer periods of time. But propane and water/methanol are only good in moderation and if overused can be harmful to an engine. Could you imagine adding nos and propane...damn that thing would make some power!
Right up till the headgaskets left the building.
Remember ,no matter what power adders are used, higher boost, propane, nos, it all increases cyl pressure beyond the bolts design.
Ford manMT,--I can get 7.3 studs and If the engine is out I think a torque cam would be nice, if you want to dyno again with a cam change I will give you a real good deal on one.
Diesel power got one and then proceeds to do a complete engine freshen up before the dyno pulls so effed up the program. Kinda makes me mad.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
My take on a Mustang dyno is that they sometimes do read lower on gas engines but read a bit higher in our diesels cus they properly load our engines as opposed to inertial dynos which have a set load. That is why I would think they read higher on our trucks. But ya go for it. I really wanna see what your truck does with the intercooler. It will show how much these engines really need them. When do you plan on dynoing it?
Maybe a couple weeks, I'm not really sure.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Typefour is the diesel world 7.3 going to run your cam would be great advertisment. Also i have heard of guys tapping the head bolt holes for larger head studs custom size saw it in diesel power on a 24v dodge. If you filled the block halfway to stiffen up the construction and used custom size larger studs with a fire ring kit that may enable you to throw the drugs at in a big way just dont spray big down low in the rpms or it wont be pretty. And does anybody know if arp makes rod bolts and the right size bolts to tie down all the bottom end where it can take a little more. result of nitrous to much to low in the rpm band haha Diesel Power Challenge 2011- Duramax Blows its Engine - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by typefour
Remember ,no matter what power adders are used, higher boost, propane, nos, it all increases cyl pressure beyond the bolts design.
Ford manMT,--I can get 7.3 studs and If the engine is out I think a torque cam would be nice, if you want to dyno again with a cam change I will give you a real good deal on one.
Diesel power got one and then proceeds to do a complete engine freshen up before the dyno pulls so effed up the program. Kinda makes me mad.
I know it adds cylinder pressure but nitrous could sure help clear up the smoke and it would burn the extra propane too. Just all within reason that's for sure though. Gotta do it within the engine limits.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
Maybe a couple weeks, I'm not really sure.
Post the results and video when you do...

Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 94 smokin stroker
Typefour is the diesel world 7.3 going to run your cam would be great advertisment. Also i have heard of guys tapping the head bolt holes for larger head studs custom size saw it in diesel power on a 24v dodge. If you filled the block halfway to stiffen up the construction and used custom size larger studs with a fire ring kit that may enable you to throw the drugs at in a big way just dont spray big down low in the rpms or it wont be pretty. And does anybody know if arp makes rod bolts and the right size bolts to tie down all the bottom end where it can take a little more. result of nitrous to much to low in the rpm band haha Diesel Power Challenge 2011- Duramax Blows its Engine - YouTube

There is a build on PSN that has all the stud numbers that he used from ARP. Check it and the other idi build out.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Is your cam from delta camshaft? Ever hear anything good from them?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 AM
FordManMT
Senior User

Typefour-

I wouldnt mind doing a cam swap. If its possible to do without removing the engine its do-able. I have to remove part of my front clip anyways to install my intercooler. I just wouldnt plumb it all up untill I got you a post installation dyno sheet.

Only thing that concerns me is cost. If I were to do head studs I might as well do headgasgets. And to protect the cam probibly a new set of lifters so it dosent flatten the cam. And a new set of timeing gears

It would be interesting to see what the cam would do on a turbo engine. Esspecially after intercooler and other fuel delivery and exhasut mods.

Its do-able. I have other vehicals to drive in the down time. PM and we can talk more about this.

One thing that is nice is, yes my truck was ran on a mustang dyno, but, it would be ran on the same dyno as before so any power adders would show gains.

-Dustin

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
if you do,there will be a new found respect for just an N/A IP.
it took Heath a set a Moose Injectors + the hot Moose Turbo IP to find these numbers remember;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...torque-rw.html

if you get the same with a banks + intercooler + stock BB codes + stock DB2831-5013/5028 N/A ip,that's rated to deliver up to 185hp,then you'll prove one thing;
efficiency trumps rolling coal. good luck!
bad post

Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordManMT
Only thing that concerns me is cost. If I were to do head studs I might as well do headgasgets. And to protect the cam probibly a new set of lifters so it dosent flatten the cam. And a new set of timeing gears
Cam won't flatten, already uses rollers..

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
What he said^^^^ I have 80 k on mine with used lifters, I di take them apart and clean out the varnish as the engine was abused for many years before I built it.

Also Diesel Power does have the cam and they are going to use it.

And yes I have heard of Delta.

And I really want to dyno mine even tho there is no before and after, I am just curious because it runs way better than any other one of these I have built.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Any major diffrences between urs and what delta could do? They are like 25 minutes from my house, so I wouldn't have to do shipping cost?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
Any major diffrences between urs and what delta could do? They are like 25 minutes from my house, so I wouldn't have to do shipping cost?
pm sent to you

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordManMT
Typefour-

I wouldnt mind doing a cam swap. If its possible to do without removing the engine its do-able. I have to remove part of my front clip anyways to install my intercooler. I just wouldnt plumb it all up untill I got you a post installation dyno sheet.

It would be interesting to see what the cam would do on a turbo engine. Esspecially after intercooler and other fuel delivery and exhasut mods.

Its do-able. I have other vehicals to drive in the down time. PM and we can talk more about this.

One thing that is nice is, yes my truck was ran on a mustang dyno, but, it would be ran on the same dyno as before so any power adders would show gains.

-Dustin
Do it. We need to see the results. Lol. I need to get one of these soon anyway. Damn I'm too poor right now...

Quick Reply: Base Line Dyno run on the PRE-STROKE