Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM
5 on a side
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I had the power window/radio intermittent problem when I bought my truck, I knew the radio went off and on before the purchase but I did not realize the windows were in on the game.

History I bought a 2002 F250 V10 with little under 90k miles in June. I had done a lot of research on this website before the purchase and read a lot of good information, but I had not seen this thread.

After replacing the relay hoping for a fix, no luck, I called circuit board medics (found out about them on FTE) they gave me two more things to check during an outage, the both tested out as they wanted to isolate the problem to the cluster, I shipped it to them on a Monday, they sent me an email on Wednesday saying they received it, and they fixed on on Thursday and sent another email with a tracking number it was on the way back. I received it Monday last week and put in back in that night. It has been a little over a week now with no problem, before it was repaired it happened at minimum every other day, but usually about everyday, so I think the problem is fixed and I am very happy with their work, speed, and communication.

I purchased a used cluster to run in the truck while mine out, it also has some issues but got me through if anyone wants to buy a used cluster let me know.

Below is link to the repair I used:
2002 - 2004 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Tideman68
New User
I just bought a F350 about a month ago and it was having the issue with the windows and radio not working. After trouble shooting the problem and removing the dash looking for loose connections, I found the issue to be the switch in the drivers door. I cleaned the switch using Electra clean and oiled the locking mechanism and this issue has not returned in the past week of driving. The switch in the door works with the Accessory and battery saver relays. If the door switch does not make contact the truck thinks its still in battery saver mode even though the truck is operating. While trouble shooting each time i started the truck and the windows and radio would not work I would simply use a screw driver to close the mechanism on the door, the contact would close and the windows / radio worked every time.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tideman68
I just bought a F350 about a month ago and it was having the issue with the windows and radio not working. After trouble shooting the problem and removing the dash looking for loose connections, I found the issue to be the switch in the drivers door. I cleaned the switch using Electra clean and oiled the locking mechanism and this issue has not returned in the past week of driving. The switch in the door works with the Accessory and battery saver relays. If the door switch does not make contact the truck thinks its still in battery saver mode even though the truck is operating. While trouble shooting each time i started the truck and the windows and radio would not work I would simply use a screw driver to close the mechanism on the door, the contact would close and the windows / radio worked every time.

Hope this helps.
After fixing all of the broken wires in the door/cab boot on the drivers side, mine has now started the same thing. I can wiggle the door a bit and the overhead light flashes on and off. I suppose it could be the switch in mine as well.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Tideman68,
That is the first that we have heard of these issues being cause by a sticking door lock mechanism, but it sounds like some great troubleshooting. By far, the most common source of the radio and power windows not working is the instrument cluster. If this starts happening again for you, narrow in on the cluster. I'm glad that the fix was free this time though!

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics
Tideman68,
That is the first that we have heard of these issues being cause by a sticking door lock mechanism, but it sounds like some great troubleshooting. By far, the most common source of the radio and power windows not working is the instrument cluster. If this starts happening again for you, narrow in on the cluster. I'm glad that the fix was free this time though!

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM
Can the truck run without the cluster in it while its in transit and being repaired?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 PM
BarBarDot
New User
Originally Posted by nstubbert
If hitting the dash above the radio seems to restore power to the radio and windows it would only make sense that there is something loose in there. But you have taken everything apart and you haven't found anything loose. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me whatsoever. Hopefully you can find the answer. I am not going to be nearly as industrious as you. I have no plans to take apart the instrument panel...haha. Please keep me posted as to what you find. Thanks, Nate
Does your door open indicator stay on? Mine did and I sent the instrument cluster for rebuild. It worked a couple times. Then I found that it would work with the door open but not closed. Found a broken wire in the boot between the door and the frame. I just followed the I thought easy fix. Live and learn.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny this came up. mine has been doing this very sporadic for the last 3 years. then last year it did it a bit more, but would come back on after 5 minutes. now it just did it yesterday and has not come back on since. only once in the 3 years have the windows and radio not worked, it always only the radio. even now! looks like its time to get it fixed. does anyone know what fails in the cluster. I have replaced resistors and capacitors before. is it a solid state relay? what is the cost to send it in if it is the relay?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by freesoul
Can the truck run without the cluster in it while its in transit and being repaired?
Anyone know the answer for a diesel? Mine happens intermittently, some days its really bad and then I can go for a week or 2 without any issues.

Fortunately never been caught in the rain with windows down so far

Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Funny this came up. mine has been doing this very sporadic for the last 3 years. then last year it did it a bit more, but would come back on after 5 minutes. now it just did it yesterday and has not come back on since. only once in the 3 years have the windows and radio not worked, it always only the radio. even now! looks like its time to get it fixed. does anyone know what fails in the cluster. I have replaced resistors and capacitors before. is it a solid state relay? what is the cost to send it in if it is the relay?
Are you having any other problems other than a dead radio? Does the instrument cluster have any symptoms as well? If the power windows are working, and the radio is your only problem, the cluster doesn't sound like it's the culprit.

To answer your other questions, here's a link to our service for the Ex:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2000-...luster-repair/

Here are links for the F-series as well:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2002-...luster-repair/

https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-...luster-repair/

Originally Posted by freesoul
Anyone know the answer for a diesel? Mine happens intermittently, some days its really bad and then I can go for a week or 2 without any issues.
The vehicle is not operable without the cluster for different reasons. On some years, the truck will not even start, but on most, the alternator will not charge. On the 2005-2007 models, we have exchange clusters in stock:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2005-...ument-cluster/
For the Excursions and older model F-series, we have limited stock available for exchange. Please call us at 800-547-2049 if you do not see the exchange option on our website for the cluster that you need.

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics
The vehicle is not operable without the cluster for different reasons. On some years, the truck will not even start, but on most, the alternator will not charge. On the 2005-2007 models, we have exchange clusters in stock:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2005-...ument-cluster/
For the Excursions and older model F-series, we have limited stock available for exchange. Please call us at 800-547-2049 if you do not see the exchange option on our website for the cluster that you need.
THanks for reply, mine is 2003 with the power windows/radio issue. As soon as I get past some very spendy repairs on my other vehicle I will be contacting you to do this.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:48 PM
rflegal
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a thought. Have a look at the wires in the baffle on the driver's door. Cheep check. they can be broke or damaged to cause intermittent.
Here's what I found:

Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Talking

will do, yeah I can see where that can cause some problems LOL

Old 09-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The correct way to repair is send cluster to Circuitboardmedics. A temp fix, if the problem is the relay on instrument cluster, remove accessory delay relay in fuse panel, solder a piece of 18ga wire to tab 86 at the bottom base of relay then cut that tab off above wire, then plug back in socket. Connect a fused wire that can be switched off with ign on truck to the wire you soldered on relay. Now radio and windows work again, disadvantage is, if you leave a door open for a long period of time, your battery will go dead because the battery saver relay is no longer in that circuit that controls interior lights or if you leave truck switched back in acc mode.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:31 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=CircuitBoardMedics;16521342]Are you having any other problems other than a dead radio? Does the instrument cluster have any symptoms as well? If the power windows are working, and the radio is your only problem, the cluster doesn't sound like it's the culprit.

To answer your other questions, here's a link to our service for the Ex:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2000-...luster-repair/

Here are links for the F-series as well:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2002-...luster-repair/

https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-...luster-repair/

QUOTE]

Yes, its just the radio. It did it with the OE radio and the Pioneer. I checked the fuses and relays for the radio and they were OK. I swapped the relay with another one. no change.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Bluelu00
New User
I'm having the same problem. Windows work fine, but radio doesn't. Fuses are ok and I tried swapping out the delay relay which did not help. When using a test light at the fuses I noticed the light was dimmer on the 5a radio fuse. Im assuming I have a low voltage problem there so I took a jumper wire from another fuse to that fuse and my radio came on. I can't find a helpful wiring diagram anywhere. I pulled the fuse panel down and can't see anything from the back side either.

Quick Reply: POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem