Print Wikipost

POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:25 PM
floinc
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power window and radio issue

I have the same issue on my 2002 7.3L Super duty. More so on a hot day after initial startup which last 2 to 5 minutes before it fixes itself. I to was hoping to find a solution to this strange issue.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goose5
I'll take my truck for a drive and let all of you know how it went. I'll post pictures when i get back.
It's been 14 days hope your ok

Old 12-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just had this happen on my 03, Nothing seamed to get it working until I pulled fuse 35. I pulled it out and put it back in , once I put it back in I heard the relay click and everything worked. My truck is in storage but I have been checking it everyday and as of now it is still working. Snow have you dove into yours yet?

Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM
goose5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my soldier repair worked for about 2 days, then it went south again. Im thinking what actually "fixed" it was me flexing the board when i took it out of the cluster housing. I brought my new vcm2 home and checked for codes. Even when the cluster was dead it would still communicate with the scan tool. I got a code for over voltage in the instrument cluster codes, so i checked the pids and the cluster thought the battery voltage was around 18 volts when it acted up. I could flex the cluster connector on the right(blue i think) and squeeze it between the back and the cover and watch the voltage reading go from 14.2v KOER to 18+volts. So apparently the volt meter on my board was messed up, and since i couldnt find a circuit board diagram for the cluster i just replaced the whole thing with a ford reman. Its working great now. So my issue was the cluster protecting itself by shutting down because it though the alternator was over charging.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Just had this happen on my 03, Nothing seamed to get it working until I pulled fuse 35. I pulled it out and put it back in , once I put it back in I heard the relay click and everything worked. My truck is in storage but I have been checking it everyday and as of now it is still working. Snow have you dove into yours yet?

Mine has been acting like a good X all this last year so I haven't had the itch to look into it yet.

From all I read it seems the relay in the gauge cluster is the fault. If I do run into more problems with it I will definitely be looking for the relay.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 PM
beth1299
New User
This same problem happened on our 04 X,right after attempting to install an LED light. It blew the fuse, but now the windows and radio are not working. Never had this problem before today. Any thoughts as to what could cause it to happen so suddenly as a result of this?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 AM
brobrad
Senior User
New excursion owner

I PICKED up a 00 Ex 7.3 a few days ago. Having some of the same problems. With the engine off and Ignition on, the lights go out when I hit the power window controls. ALL of my windows are very weak like the battery is almost dead. Is this the Battery Saver Relay. I pulled the fuse panel and noticed the cover was off of the relay that is top left. I didn't notice any modifications to it, but i'll check that out. My problem is NOT total loss of function so it appears to be a bit different. Any suggestions

Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Anybody know how to bypass the accessory delay relay or power that relay and bypass the battery save relay. Windows and radio don't work, nothing I do will make them work. All fuses are good, changed relays around still nothing. No power to the relay in the fuse box.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rscottc
Anybody know how to bypass the accessory delay relay or power that relay and bypass the battery save relay. Windows and radio don't work, nothing I do will make them work. All fuses are good, changed relays around still nothing. No power to the relay in the fuse box.
Sorry I can't be of help, but i'll bump it to the top for you. I discovered one of the issues for EX was that 3 wires in the boot between drivers door and cab were broken. I still have issues after rain. I've got to find where the water is coming in. My AC blower came on after a rain and ran the batter down. Nothing I did would make it go off. I turned the ignition on and I could switch it off. CRAZY STUFF

Old 07-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Rattler77
New User
POWER WINDOWS AND RADIO FAILURE INTERMITTENT

I have a 2008 E350 Econoline Van and the power windows and radio intermittently work (currently out for two weeks now) and have changed breaker in five box, delay relay under hood but no luck. Can anyone advise ??????

Old 07-03-2015, 04:55 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rattler77
I have a 2008 E350 Econoline Van and the power windows and radio intermittently work (currently out for two weeks now) and have changed breaker in five box, delay relay under hood but no luck. Can anyone advise ??????
For the Excursion, ours is a relay inside the instrument cluster. Not sure about the Econoline vans, but it could be the same?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Rattler77
New User
What relay was it and did you change it yourself and was the mission successful ?
Happy Fourth of July to you !

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rattler77
What relay was it and did you change it yourself and was the mission successful ?
Happy Fourth of July to you !
It's not one you can easily replace. If you search in this thread or forum, there is a company that does it for a fee. You remove your instrument cluster, mail it to them, they change it and mail it back to you. I haven't had to use them yet. Others here have.

Good luck and happy and safe 4th to you.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jh818
It's not one you can easily replace. If you search in this thread or forum, there is a company that does it for a fee. You remove your instrument cluster, mail it to them, they change it and mail it back to you. I haven't had to use them yet. Others here have.
I just wanted to let you guys know that we have replacement clusters available for the 05-07 trucks for exchange now that come fully programmed for your truck. The mileage and engine hours will remain completely accurate. Here's the link to our service and exchange option if you need it:

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

Here's the link to our 02-04 service:

2002 - 2004 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM
andy9743
Senior User
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics
I just wanted to let you guys know that we have replacement clusters available for the 05-07 trucks for exchange now that come fully programmed for your truck. The mileage and engine hours will remain completely accurate. Here's the link to our service and exchange option if you need it:

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

Here's the link to our 02-04 service:

2002 - 2004 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

saving this as $ seems reasonable and mine from time to time does this as well with no power to windows or radio...

Quick Reply: POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem