Sponsored by:

MICHELIN LTX MS/2 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
That 18/32" addition tread on the tire means that the circumference of the tire is actually about 3.5" greater. That's where the change in mileage comes from. You don't see it on the speedometer, which will show a steady (e.g. 70MPG @ 2,400 RPM) no matter what size tire you have, but when each revolution of the tire moves you an extra 3.5", that adds up over enough miles.
Yeah it changes by .3 percent. Not effecting half mpg change its called tread flex that effects mpg I run my tires to 2/32 so, no more tread flex

Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Tread flex might vary .3%, but the real size of the tire changes a lot more than that.

Most light truck tires are 30" - 32" in diameter. Using 30" we have a radius of 15". Simple Algebra (2 pi R) gives us a circumference of 94.25" Wearing 16/32" off the tire (leaving 2/32") gives us a radius of 14.5" and a circumference of 91.1". The vehicle travels 3.15" inches less per revolution (about 3.4%) than it does on the new tire.

On a 300 mile trip the odometer will record about 10 miles difference. And of course we'll all compute our mileage by dividing the odometer reading by the fuel consumed.

I wonder if the worn tire will produce a greater real mileage due to less torque being required to turn it? Interesting....

Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
My odometer changes .03%, I drive the same route every week 1700 miles or so, so that reflects a .22 mpg change so the other .28 mpg from what not really sure just know that the tread can't flex as much when not there. A .50 mpg change means like $1500 a year to me. So, not sure if a narrower tire would help or hurt but, tread design and proper inflation makes a big difference along with the compound and so on. Michelin has a rolling resistance chart for truck tires, most tires, not just theirs. I guess if someone did for light trucks and cars this would be easy.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
And obviously rotating weight will make a difference as well so. The green movement with the EPA smartway program is a joke there are lots of tires not submitted for smartway standards that do better, again I know truck tires better than light truck. I just wish the manufactures put more effort in information on light truck tires.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
There are a lot of alloys out there that will make a pretty light rim, and of course things like carbon fiber are options, too. But it's a trade-off of pay big bucks for many small savings (every time you fill up) or take real money out of the cost of a vehicle and pay many small penalties (every time you fill up).

Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
hhcobra
Senior User

Lots of good information there!! One thing I had not thought about was the possibility of roll over. High center of gravity and narrower foot print are not a good combination. Think I will stick with the 265's. Thanks for the feedback!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 PM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 01F-250/04ex
My odometer changes .03%
Wow, I need to preview before my post, it changes 3%, I was using the change in my calculator entry (1.03). Anyway the rest stays the same, 6 mpg new tires 6.5 old tires minus mile correction 6.3. Sorry for the confusion. I will do better before speaking/typing. Ask my wife, I do of all the time.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TeeHee - not a problem 01F !!!

My wife says she likes the way my foot DOES fit nicely in my mouth

Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
walt501
Junior User
I've had the 285/75/16 Michelin LTX MS/2 on my truck for about 10,000 miles. I couldn't be happier. As others have stated, a very smooth ride and very confident handling. In fact, I sometimes surprise myself with the speed that I'm able to take entrance/exit ramps. That said, there are a couple of issues I will mention -

1. Stones! I have a place in Ontario that is down a 3 mile gravel road. These tires pick up and throw stones like nothing I have ever seen. When hauling a trailer into the cabin, it sounds like I'm playing percussion for the NY Philharmonic! The stones hitting the underside of the truck and the trailer are excessive. Ok I exaggerate a bit, but if you do a considerable amount of driving on gravel roads, I would look for a different tire.

2. I enjoy the higher ride height of these tires - except at night. My headlights went from marginal to poor, even with Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I'll be putting in an HID kit before the snow flies.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Walt! That is a vote of confidence for sure! Same size I am currently running and want to stay there if I can. Looks like you have similar setup that I have with upgraded shocks, etc.
I have the landyot radius rods, Rancho RS9000X w/remote control, replaced bushings for swaybars and droplinks, etc.
I wonder if some folks that have experienced the weirdness in handling are those that have not done any of these upgrades to help with the handling. Might be the issue for some I would guess as I did see improvements after doing these upgrades.

I am just now hitting the 130K mile mark as well and all front end parts seem tight at this point in time.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by walt501
I've had the 285/75/16 Michelin LTX MS/2 on my truck for about 10,000 miles. I couldn't be happier. As others have stated, a very smooth ride and very confident handling. In fact, I sometimes surprise myself with the speed that I'm able to take entrance/exit ramps. That said, there are a couple of issues I will mention -

1. Stones! I have a place in Ontario that is down a 3 mile gravel road. These tires pick up and throw stones like nothing I have ever seen. When hauling a trailer into the cabin, it sounds like I'm playing percussion for the NY Philharmonic! The stones hitting the underside of the truck and the trailer are excessive. Ok I exaggerate a bit, but if you do a considerable amount of driving on gravel roads, I would look for a different tire.

2. I enjoy the higher ride height of these tires - except at night. My headlights went from marginal to poor, even with Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I'll be putting in an HID kit before the snow flies.

Hope this helps.
I've got about 8,000 on the same tire and couldn't be paid to take them off and replace them. With a sound suspension, the truck doesn't sway or dip even on aggressive cornering. On a normal curve/corner the truck holds true. I haven't experienced the gravel issue, but I don't run on them much, either.

Regarding the headlights, I've got the Silverstar and vision is fine. Do you have any discoloring or degradation in the headlight lens? Seriously, have you had your eyes checked? My wife had the same complaint. I discarded it as picky since I could see quite well. It turns out she had cataracts that didn't affect her until she got into low-light conditions.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I will second the gravel comment. Mine do pick up a lot of gravel, but they shed it as soon as you go over 55-60. Wide tread blocks.

I have about 8,000 miles on mine. They still look new, but I seem to have a balance issue around 75. Might have been there all along since I rarely go that fast in Ohio, but I sure noticed it out west where 75 is the speed limit.

I run mine at door sticker pressure when not towing and they ride pretty decent. When I bump them up a bit to tow the camper, they get stiff real quick. I would expect any E rated tire to be similar in that respect. No wander, but I have a 2WD.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I will second the gravel comment. Mine do pick up a lot of gravel, but they shed it as soon as you go over 55-60. Wide tread blocks.

I have about 8,000 miles on mine. They still look new, but I seem to have a balance issue around 75. Might have been there all along since I rarely go that fast in Ohio, but I sure noticed it out west where 75 is the speed limit.

I run mine at door sticker pressure when not towing and they ride pretty decent. When I bump them up a bit to tow the camper, they get stiff real quick. I would expect any E rated tire to be similar in that respect. No wander, but I have a 2WD.
I have heard from a couple of mechanics not to run tires at door sticker PSI. Go by what is on the tire. Run at 5 below max PSI to give room for increased pressure with temp. I do use the ratio of front to rear that you find on the door sticker, though. I usually run 75/70 when towing and 65/60 otherwise. Heck, the door sticker on my EX calls for D range tires, but I run E.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 AM
jlwpapa
New User
Originally Posted by RobertH
Thanks for the info so far. Good stuff.

One thing I did not mention is that on the BFG All Terrain TA K/O tire, I have never had a tire with better traction in rain and snow. I drove through our freak snowstorm years back that was 24". I was out before the plows and had to go round trip 30 miles. Never one time had any slippage so they sold me on traction. Just as good on ice and we have some really bad stuff here in NC on occasion.
Only reason I left this tire for the Michelin LTX MS tire was due to results from others that had them on their F250's. Great mileage, usually 70K plus and they wore even....even without rotation them! They also told me the traction and ride was great. So, I have been very happy with them, then Michelin had to go make a change to something near perfect!

The harder compound and sipes now running all the way around the outside tread block has me somewhat concerned on causing more wandering that we all know is sensitive on the X. The BFG was non issue with wandering due to the triguard sidewall which makes them very stable tires on the road. That is why they look more square on the edges than other tires and gives them that extra edge support.

Keep the info coming folks....any one else with the newer Michelin MS/2's? Especially with towing?
Here I am another Excursion owner with LTX-MS2 wander? I posted this thread to see if anyone else experienced the "looseness" of the LTX-MS2's compared with the Goodyear Silent Armor:

Excursion steering loose AFTER new tires and Ford alignment
<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> My Excursion only has 74000 miles and I just replaced the original shocks with Monroe Reflex and combined with my Goodyear Silent Armor tires was running beautifully. Then after a "deal" from Ford, I replaced the Goodyears with LTX-MS2's and had the alignment checked since my Goodyears did have a little cupping after 45000 miles. They also checked all the front end components and said that everything was in good shape! Upon driving it home, the Excursion steering was extremely loose and I was ready to return the tires and get new Silent Armors, but I figured that there probably was something screwy with the alignment that they just did. So I brought it back, test drove it with the tech at 75 mph and he decided he needed to recheck the alignment. After the realignment, it drove much better, but after reading the posts on various forums regarding the proper toe-in on the front, I am questioning whether the alignment is set properly because I am still experiencing "something different" than before? Tires are 265/75/16 same as before, nitrogen filled to factory specs @ 50 psi front & 55 psi rear. I still have 2 weeks under the Michelin guarantee, so..............

After the 1st alignment (in degrees):
LF Camber .3; Caster 3.0; Toe .01
RF Camber -.2; Caster 3.2; Toe -.03
Total Toe -.03; Steer Ahead .02
LR Camber .1; Toe .12
RR Camber -.03; Toe .16
Total Toe .27; Thrust Angle -.02

After the Realignment (in degrees):
LF Camber .3; Caster 3.0; Toe -.03
RF Camber -.2; Caster 3.2; Toe -.04
Total Toe -.07; Steer Ahead 0.00
LR Camber .1; Toe .13
RR Camber -.3; Toe .18
Total Toe .31; Thrust Angle -.03

Bottom line, you could be right on, with new siping as the cause for the "wandering" or "looseness" that did not exist before!
Jeff

Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had 2 sets of Silent Armors bubble. I now have the MS2 and love them. Good quality alignments, good shocks and she runs smooth and straight. In wet snow it still is a little squirrely but so is all the other cars going off the road. I can hold a straight and true line in rain or snow. The BFG tires were always my preference until I found tires that would last twice as long. If I drove more off road I would look for the more aggressive tires but then I also would want more sidewall tread for the mud. It mostly depends on where you drive the most. Here in my little resort town I see all sorts of lifted trucks with monster tires for 2 weeks of vacation then they have to deal with inferior tire the rest of the year. Good luck everyone choosing tires. This thread is old but the question still bugs many.

Quick Reply: MICHELIN LTX MS/2 Tires