6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Painful...an update

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:12 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I like the emissions equipment on vehicles now a days. Diesel exhaust is much more tolerable now then even 10 years ago.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Hopefully this is something simple to fix.
Wait until you have it fixed before you let the rvnet folks know...haha.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow ..... Ther must be a bug going around. This is like the 4th one in the past couple of weeks. I am wondering if Ford is using time bombed trial software

Good luck ricatic .... Keep us posted.

Mine is still waiting for the reductant pump .... I finally put some black tape over the CEL. At least it's not staring me in the face anymore. Feels more like 180/300 instead of 400/800.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
No doubt it is something simple and electronic. It still looks like the Chihuahua under the hood is rock solid on these trucks. Most of the minor issues that we have seen so far (at least on pickups) have been electronic. The quality of the electronics on these trucks needs to be Ford's next focus. You would think after 15 years or more of CPS failures that they would have made the quality of the electronics a higher priority.
While I was waiting in the restaurant where I coasted to a stop, a family came in and sat down. They were waiting for their daghter and her husband. I talked to the father for a bit until the arrived. The SIL arrived and commented on the new Ford broke down in the lot. When I said it was mine he ripped into the new truck for having a Mexican motor...all about the Mexican motor...they are having nothing but trouble with the Mexican motor...He then said he worked for Ford and they should have never went with that POS Mexican motor.

Needless to say, I paid for my coffee and went outside to wait for the tow truck. No sense trying to discuss anything with someone with an attitude. My guess is he is a union guy through and through. Sfter the truck left on the hook I went back inside and sat at the other end of the restaurant until my ride home arrived...

Interesting day...

Regards

Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
My second 11 died in my driveway with 415 miles on the ticker. A sensor on the dpf. Had to tow it in. Got it back and removed all the emissions. 6500 miles now and no trouble.......

Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
That was in July.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I stated in a parallel post, this kind of stuff happens to my truck every week. And since the dealer will not even look at my truck under warranty, I had to find another solution.
Just get yourself a codereader that can clear codes. Usually, once the codes are cleared, the truck will start right up again with no other repairs. Worth the $50 just in case of an emergency (it's like a tow truck in your glovebox). I would recommend this to anyone that drives one of these 2011+ models.
Ultimately you should find out what caused the problem in the first place (ignoring it could compund the original issue), but at least it will be on your terms and not at a possibly inconvenient time or place.
Apparently people using tuners are much less susceptible to these emissions-sensor related glitches, so for them the code reader/clearer is not needed (since it is usually already built into the tuner).
Naturally, not having the sensor present or monitored helps maintain its long term reliability (sarcasm).

Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
captchas
corntruckdriver guess you and i well remember pulling the stop **** on the old b61 macks and dd 8v71's, it always worked, my old petercar had a cat 1693ta that was simply turn off the key to shut off the stop solinode

Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to bypass this no start issue other than a code reader to clear it.

If it is a false sensor reading and you know it is. There is a way to do with the 6.4. I wonder if that would apply here.

Maybe one the tech's will chime in on that question.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Red face

Originally Posted by captchas
corntruckdriver guess you and i well remember pulling the stop **** on the old b61 macks and dd 8v71's, it always worked, my old petercar had a cat 1693ta that was simply turn off the key to shut off the stop solinode
my earliest recalection is a Massey Furguson 65

Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Rick, very sorry to hear. Looks like you and I were in a very similar situation about the same time yesterday. Check mine.... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-stranded.html

I was using my blackberry and accidentally selected the 6.4 section...

I will say that Ford Roadside Assistance was excellent. The customer service was great and the truck was there in less than 30 minutes and gone in under an hour.

My problem was an anomaly...fan bearing broke and the fan fell off, hitting the serpentine belt and knocking it off. Not sure at this point if there's anymore damage (like the fan hitting the radiator).

Hopefully yours is a quick and easy, non-recurring repair. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I wonder if there is a way to bypass this no start issue other than a code reader to clear it.

If it is a false sensor reading and you know it is. There is a way to do with the 6.4. I wonder if that would apply here.

Maybe one the tech's will chime in on that question.
Well pulling the battery cables and letting it reset itself comes to mind. I know it's tougher for the tech when you clear the codes, but if you are stranded it is much more inconvenient for you than it will be for them.

If you have fond memories of 8V71s then your memory may be fading! LOL They may have had a manual fuel shutoff, but it didn't do you much good when they ran away and self destructed not to mention that they made about as much power as a Chevette. B61 Macks were fun to drive if you were a midget. I don't know how the 6'5" guys ever did it. Anyway I've seen my share of them run backwards and do stupid stuff as well.

My point is, nothing is perfect. Every brand has electrical gremlins of some sort. With every aspect of a vehicle relying on electrical sensors, solenoids and such electrical equipment has become a large portion of the cost of building a vehicle. Guess where costs are being cut? The reliability of Japanese electrical components has always amazed me. I guess just like everything else automotive we will catch up eventually.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Bummer.....

Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow....

I go off on a business trip for the last few days and everyone breaks their trucks?

Sorry to hear about the troubles, Rick! Any idea what it could be? Seems like you will always have folks that don't want to know the truth and believe their own version of it. Really stinks that you had to listen to that just after your truck broke down though.

Make sure to let us know how it goes!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Rick, sorry for the trouble. Keep us posted.

Shane

Quick Reply: Painful...an update