Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy or fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
TopCoaters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy or fix

Hey this is my first post. Love the forums. Lots of good information from what I've read. I'd like to introduce myself and my purpose here and I will try to keep this post short and to the point.

I have a 1993 f150 4x4 302 E4OD with 150 000KM(not miles). Unfortunately it is a rust bucket underneath and I am afraid it is not worth fixing. The motor and tranny run great however. This is my 2nd ford, unfortunately I smashed my last one after putting a great deal of money into it. I sold it out of desperation and stress of not knowing how to fix it(big mistake I now realize how many great parts were installed on it. I wish I had it back so bad but that's not an option so moving on).

I am now stuck with this new one that I paid 2k for but am unsure if it is worth fixing up or if it would be better used as a parts truck or sold and pooled with my current money to buy something better. I have appx 1000 or 1500 to spend in the immediate future. I have some pics too include if someone could let me know how. Posting from iPhone as that's where my pics are and assumed it would give me the option. Thanks for advice I'm real torn on this and have been for a month now. With winter coming I have to make a decision.

The only think I know for sure is that I want an 90 to 96 f150. If I keep this one I plan on stripping the frame of rust the best I can and undercoating it, replacing tie rods and redoing complete back end suspension. I've already put quite a few hours into it and would hate to give up on it, but although it is my daily work truck I do want to have the option of taking it through the mud once in a while and have the ability to use it as a recreational vehicle.

I can't upload pics so I will link to them

I should have the pictures uploaded in the next 10 mins. Thanks for any help that can be offered! Love ford and excited to start doing the work myself. Have been easing myself into it for the last 2 years and think I am finally ready to start building one. Just need the right project!

Last edited by TopCoaters; 09-16-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: made no sense hard to post on a phone
Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10674174 Click on this link for how to post pics.
Hopefully plenty of advice to follow but rust is a major PITA.
Good luck.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 AM
TopCoaters
New User
Thanks for the reply. Still wondering if anyone has any opions on the rust? Does the frame look ok?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
the frame appears to be ok. I'd get under it with a wire wheel and a drill to clean it up some, then brush on Rustoleum to cover it. That's what I'm getting ready to do to mine. Mine was a Utah truck, with very little rust. One winter here in PA and it looks like crap under there.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 AM
TopCoaters
New User
What is a wire wheel? Is it like a steel wool attachment for a drill. A Pic would be great as I'm not sure what I need to buy. Thanks a Lot for the reply! Sounds like a good project for today

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
TopCoaters
New User
Hey did my own research and found what I need. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get an angle grinder with a wire wheel rather than using a drill. This will get it done much faster and do a much better job.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I would get an angle grinder with a wire wheel rather than using a drill. This will get it done much faster and do a much better job.
That's what I normally use, but most people don't have an angle grinder.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to Fte! If you get a chance you should fill out your location in your profile as well, so then people can help you out on a more localized level, as in where to look for parts or whatnot.

I think your truck looks very fixable, I would just check to make sure there is no really bad "right through the frame" type rust, clean it up, and paint it. Im doing a similar project right now, and my first step was actually pressure washing the frame to see what I am dealing with for rust, then I am going to paint my frame with black tremclad.

I noticed you said your truck is in km's, meaning you may be from Canada. Up here I have found, that rustoleum paint is really hard to find (around my city) in the large cans, and I am pretty sure tremclad is the same thing. (which any Canadian tire, walmart, etc. should have.)

Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Tremclad and Rustoleum are the same paint and the same manufacturer.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation man!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 AM
TopCoaters
New User
So I should paint with rustoleum before applying an ashphalt based undercoater? I just found an 85 f150 with brand new tires and old school cap for 750. I may pick it up for parts etc. http://www.usedottawa.com/classified...-F150_15738785. Would buy for sure if was 4X4. You guys rock thanks for tips on everything.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
I would. The tremclad/rustoleum has properties to stop the rust, and the asphalt coating will act as an additional sealer.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd steer clear of the undercoating...

You seem to live in the rust belt, and one drop of salty moisture is all it'll take to let the cancer (Rust) back in...

A simple painting of the frame, with a thicker type paint.....And you should be good.....And if need be, you can touch it up later...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I'd steer clear of the undercoating...

You seem to live in the rust belt, and one drop of salty moisture is all it'll take to let the cancer (Rust) back in...

A simple painting of the frame, with a thicker type paint.....And you should be good.....And if need be, you can touch it up later...
Good point. Aroung here, what they call asphalt coating is actually a really thick, oil based product that is sprayed on with minimal dripping at first.

I'm assuming that he's talking about this...

Quick Reply: Buy or fix