Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Opinions on 2 older Fords

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You didn't mention if the trucks have air or hydraulic brakes. The air brake truck is the better choice on that.
At 44,000 miles the truck needed brakes and a tranny rebuild? Something wrong there. Even city driving for that truck shouldn't have wasted the shoes for that mileage.
How sure the engine is OK if that kind of work was needed already? If the head gets cracked on that 6.6 you might as well toss it.
The only issue with the 73 may be the tires. Probably tube type rims. This truck is also a little heavier rated hauling. How much are you gonna haul, and how often? If just used on occassion, I'd go with the gasser, especially if it has air brakes.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still looking at that 91 F600 w/ 6.6L in it. Tranny went back to the shop that sold it and was replaced (defective part?).

Here's the dialogue I've had w/ owner as well as the only pic I've seen (if I can post it). He said the interior is "alright".

"F-600 dump truck. 43,xxxx original miles. New steel bed and hoist ($4,901.97) New tires ($2,800+). Former county truck with meticulous maintenance. I'm taking my business in a different direction, no longer need truck."

" 5+2. Ford diesel (6.6??) I'll check on that, ford diesel for sure I'm just not 100% on the displacement. 16 foot bed. Bottom 2' or so and down including the floor is steel. 27 yard capacity ( if my math is correct).
I bought it from a farmer that bought it from a county in colorado. The county had a flat bed with no dump. The farmer bought it from the county and put the bed and hoist on it. I bought it from the farmer and drove it home. I put the brand new tires on it and the tall sides and the barn doors on the rear. I bought it for my construction company and then soon after I bought it I switched to all sub contractors and no employees. There for I no longer use my own equipment so it has sat for two years. I did however start it and drive it around frequently to keep it fresh. It's a hard truck to let go, it's a great truck especially for the money and at the same time just taking up space and depreciating. The county I don't know what they used it for."

He recently went to haul a load to the dump and found the trans issue that has now been rectified. I think his math is wrong - more like 16 to 20 yard box.

Having trouble with the pic but will try again from a PC.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Well, I'm buying the 91 F600 w/ 6.6L and 5+2 tranny - $6K Drove it and seemed alright to me, no leaks etc and still has brakes .....

Needs - new windshield (cracked pretty good) and that's about all I could see that seemed broken. Brand new Harsh hoist/PTO setup w/ a steel 16 foot bed and 6 foot sides on the box. Wish the bed was a bit longer but what the heck - I'm sure I can overload a 16 footer just fine Tires are almost new all the way around. A couple of cracks in the fiberglass fenders but she looked pretty good and ran fine.

Any good sources for a reasonably priced windshield? Our junk yard doesn't hang on to much for very long.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunchgrass
.......Any good sources for a reasonably priced windshield? Our junk yard doesn't hang on to much for very long.
Any place would good. same glass as any 80-96 ford pickup.
Ask for a cash discount and see what the price does, sometimes it make a big difference.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Well I picked up the F600 today and drove it the 90 miles home. Crikey - I blew through some fuel if my fuel gauge is right. Like 1/4 tank (of a 33 G tank - at least) to travel 50 miles or so. I can't even leak fuel that fast

Anyway - as I was merrily supporting Exxon and driving along I began to wonder about how high I can run the 6.6L diesel (RPM) for an extended period of highway driving. Seems I was at 2200 - 2400 to get near 55 mph. Any thoughts?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can run it at 2800 for days on end.
Advancing the timing really helps the mpg.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Thanks Dale. Is it just timing advance or do I need to do some tweaking of my injector pump flow too?

She's no beauty but I'm proud and will try to post a couple of pics soon. Thanks for all of your help FTE members!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bunchgrass
Thanks Dale. Is it just timing advance or do I need to do some tweaking of my injector pump flow too?

She's no beauty but I'm proud and will try to post a couple of pics soon. Thanks for all of your help FTE members!
It's setting the base timing. I'd guess it being about 13* from the factory, and going to 17* will be a little bump in power and mpg should be a noticeable gain. You can certainly adjust the fuel rate. It's super easy to do, and also helps up the mpg(depending on driving). Mainly because it's not running max rpm all the time to get up to speed.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
I'm trying to post pics here but not having much luck. What am I doing wrong? They're loaded to Flickr and I copy the pics from Flickr and use the IMG.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 AM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Here's the rig I mentioned over a year ago! Sheesh am I slow.

It wasn't close enough to my shop to get damaged by the fire of last May but just today it started acting up as I hauled home 6 yds of compost.

As I was beep bopping along at topend 55mph I would suddenly feel as if it was starving for fuel (no sputtering just no throttle response) until it eventually died. Successive cranking over and it would fire up some what like a flooded motor (sort of missing and running rough, blowing black/gray smoke) and then we were good to go ..... for another 1/2 mile. Repeat. Then 1/4 mile. Repeat. 1/8 mile ...... until it was every couple hundred feet BUT I got home. Saddle tanks are both at 1/2 full and that's where my gauge is too. I've lost an injector pump in a later model Dodge Cummins and that was "no start" period. Is it possible my pump is on the way out but not quite dead? Other options?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Very common and overlooked is the fuel strainer, behind the front tire. Sounds like a classic case of starvation.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
Very common and overlooked is the fuel strainer, behind the front tire. Sounds like a classic case of starvation.
Will have a look. Passenger wheel or driver's?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Passenger...sorry. Just in front of the tank. Another possibility is junk floating around in the tank.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 2 older Fords