6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

factory oil gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory oil gauge

Can someone with an 06 PSD, that starts quickly, give me an idea of when their factory oil gauge first starts to give a reading. I am looking for a pretty exact amount of time to compare mine to. To keep it equal lets start the time from the initial starter engagement to the first movement of the oil gauge needle.

Mine takes a good second after the engine starts to move. And yes, the reason I am asking is my truck is experiencing longer crank times before it starts. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Mine has definitely started before the oil pressure gauge ever moves. By at least a second, maybe 2 or 3.

I have never experienced an extended crank/no-start, so I cannot say how long it would take to show pressure.

I can say that the dash pressure gauge is only the low pressure system, and that is rarely the issue with slow starts. So you probably need to look elsewhere.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
Thanks, I am trying to rule out the low pressure causing the problem. Got a little after paying attention to my oil pressure gauge.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My '04 will show oil pressure on the gauge about 2-3 seconds after the starter starts to spin the engine over. I realize your asking about an '06...but they use the same system. Also, the factory gauge will show pressure when there's only 9-10 psi in the low pressure side....much lower than what it should be under normal conditions.

You might want to start checking for codes if it's taking a longer than normal to start.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
I would start by checking the voltages in the FICM...see the Tech Folder up top for the procedure.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
Thanks for the replies. I already did the FICM check and it was fine. I brought it to the dealer when it first started happening and they said they could not reproduce symptoms. They also said the crank time was within spec. However, when its your vehicle you know when something just is not right. From all the reading I have been doing it appears to be the high pressure system. However, it does not get any worse when hot. The truck always starts just cranks longer then it used to. It only has 51,000 miles on it and the long crank started about 10,000 miles ago.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
One thing that nobody has told you is that the factory oil pressure gauge is basically nothing but an idiot light with a needle that only takes 7.5 psi to read normal when the lubricating oil pressure is actually about 70 psi warm.

When you say longer to start than "normal" what kind of time are you talking?

One thing that wasn't mentioned specifically (may be in FICM diagnostics?) was that your batteries could be giving up. It's such a gradual thing that occurs over such a long period of time that you may not even notice.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:24 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
The batteries were replaced and recently load tested to rule them out. The truck cranks for a few seconds, feels like forever, then starts. Sometimes it starts with a little stumble, before smoothing out. Never starts with any smoke and runs like a top once started. It definitely cranks 2 to 3 times longer then it used to.
The reason I asked about the oil gauge is a couple of weeks ago when I was changing the oil, OEM Filters, I noticed when I opened up the filter housing the filter was completely drained. I inquired about this in an earalier post about oil filters and I am still trying to see if I have a low pressure oil problem before I address the possible high pressure problem.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SteveNCf250
The reason I asked about the oil gauge is a couple of weeks ago when I was changing the oil, OEM Filters, I noticed when I opened up the filter housing the filter was completely drained. I inquired about this in an earalier post about oil filters and I am still trying to see if I have a low pressure oil problem before I address the possible high pressure problem.
There is a drain in the bottom of the oil filter housing that allows the oil to drain out when you unscrew the cap. It's also the reason you really need to use OEM filters. Aftermarket knock-offs aren't "tall enough" to close the valve when the cap screws all the way down. The filters on my truck will come out with a little bit of oil still dripping from them, but not enough to fill a teaspoon.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
I can't really get a good feel if my filer drain is allowing oil to drain out causing the longer cranks. Is the drain easily replaced? Expensive? Anyone have an idea on how to tell if the filter housing is draining? If it is draining will that cause long crank times?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:08 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SteveNCf250
I can't really get a good feel if my filer drain is allowing oil to drain out causing the longer cranks. Is the drain easily replaced? Expensive? Anyone have an idea on how to tell if the filter housing is draining? If it is draining will that cause long crank times?
If the filter housing was empty of oil at start-up, that could/would cause an extended crank time. As far as I know, the valve is part of the housing...you can't replace just the valve. Since it is a mechanical part...I see where it could fail and be the source of your troubles. I just don't remember hearing of someone having that problem.

Maybe Tim or Cheezit have heard of something like this happen...

Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
Thanks for the help. I am trying to make the best diagnosis I can before attempting a fix.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Sound like the discussion has got a little past this but,, my 06 fires up after 1.8sec of cranking and the oil gauge starts to move 3.8sec after cranking starts ( engine running 2.0sec). This is warmed up but shut off for 30min or so. On immediate restart #'s were 1.8 to fire and 2.8 to gauge moving. Checked it after work so don't know about cold start. Pretty precise I know but I have an app for that

Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 PM
SteveNCf250
Junior User
Thanks Rusty. Your crank time is better than mine but the oil gauge movement is pretty close. I will have to check it again tomorrow. Did you say you have an app?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Yea, just making an IPhone joke. Nice stopwatch app came on it.

Quick Reply: factory oil gauge