6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

rev-x or hot shots..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM
cmdevildog16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was not having a stiction issue at all but i have close to 200k on the truck and figured id do it as a precautionary measure maybe hit it before it started or just as it was starting...i ordered the Rev-x proving kit though as i thought it would be cool to send in some oil and see the wear condition of the engine....although im kinda scared it might come up with somthing i dont wanna know...lol

Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Send in for an oil analysis..... I just did mine and I did it cause I have very LOW mileage. It has come back good so when I do drive it, I really exercise it.... guess that had paid off. I now also know how long I can run Shell Rotella 5-40 without changing the oil.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025

This is where it is like my EGR Cooler argument. Your experience is a statistic of 1. I have known far more people that have had less then steller results from either Rev-X and/or HSS. I can count on one hand how many that didn't have to do anything drastic with their injectors after using either one (or in one case both) of those products.
I disagree 100% here with the Rev X topic.... I've seen/read more cases where actual injector stiction was fixed and/or significantly improved by continued use of Rev X. It's also my opinion that when Rev X was used to fix a perceived stiction problem, it was actually a damaged injector/s at play and no additive will fix a gross mechanical problem with an injector.

I do however agree with you assement of HSS.

Ford 6.0 Powerstroke cold start before and after adding Rev-X - YouTube

Here's a sample of 1 user who had success using Rev X.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
It's also my opinion that when Rev X was used to fix a perceived stiction problem, it was actually a damaged injector/s at play and no additive will fix a gross mechanical problem with an injector.

Did you mean to say that anytime a stiction problem wasn't fixed by an additive it was due to a "gross mechanical problem with an injector"???

Just wondering because the way it was written makes it look as though no additive ever worked, that or every stiction issue is caused by a gross mechanical defect in the injector...

The simple fact is that the forces leading to stiction are a constant from the day you start your truck. A varnish builds up and unless treated with something a whole lot nastier than RevX/HSS (which just masks the problem) it will continue to build up and baring replacement for some other reason that injector will eventually have to be replaced. RevX and probably not HSS (pending results) will never cure the problem RevX/HSS is only capable of masking it but the varnish will continue to build under the mask.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by High Binder
Did you mean to say that anytime a stiction problem wasn't fixed by an additive it was due to a "gross mechanical problem with an injector"???

Just wondering because the way it was written makes it look as though no additive ever worked, that or every stiction issue is caused by a gross mechanical defect in the injector....
What I said was "It's also my opinion that when Rev X was used to fix a perceived stiction problem, it was actually a damaged injector/s at play and no additive will fix a gross mechanical problem with an injector." To clarify my statement I'm saying that some people who have injector problems who think it's a stiction problem and go buy some Rev X and when it doesn't work they report it didn't solve their stiction problem when in fact what they really have is a major injector and/or FICM defect that no fluid will fix.

Originally Posted by High Binder
The simple fact is that the forces leading to stiction are a constant from the day you start your truck. A varnish builds up and unless treated with something a whole lot nastier than RevX/HSS (which just masks the problem) it will continue to build up and baring replacement for some other reason that injector will eventually have to be replaced. RevX and probably not HSS (pending results) will never cure the problem RevX/HSS is only capable of masking it but the varnish will continue to build under the mask.
I don't think you can blame stiction entirely on varnish. My truck develeped the stiction problem at ~85k miles and I experimented with several ways to combat this problem.
1. synthetic oil (requires continued use)
2. Rev X (requires continued use)
3. Inductive flash

Each of these items indepently solved my stiction problem, but I chose to go with the Inductive flash because of simple economics. A one time $100 investment at the Ford shop got me the inductive flash and has solved my stiction problem to date. If I had varnish causing this stiction at 85k miles I would think at 160k miles I would have more varnish causing more stiction problems, however my truck runs better than ever since the last flash.

Also if stiction was caused by varnish I would think a repair procedure would have been developed to simple remove this varnish, but this is not the case, and I don't by the HSS stuff that claims to remove varnish.

I think a polishig effect is what's causing spool valve to stick!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Troy,
Do you know what FICM strategy you are running?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know Troy, I seem to want to recall that you had some extended oil changing intervals. Have you ever considered that could be some of your issue there?

Also, one reason why I'm not an additive fan, that some oil additives have been known to change the viscosity of the oil and that can affect it as well.

I don't know about your idle times or how you cold weather start it. It gets pretty damn cold up in Plano, about as cold on a occasion as it gets up in the hills of TN, but I don't know about Katy. But any cold starting can develop the issue just extreme ambient temps contribute more.

To clarify my statement I'm saying that some people who have injector problems who think it's a stiction problem and go buy some Rev X and when it doesn't work they report it didn't solve their stiction problem when in fact what they really have is a major injector and/or FICM defect that no fluid will fix.
If that's the case, then we are spinning our wheels with this discussion. That is possible, but also stiction issues can lead to some pretty nasty things on their own if whatever was used to treat the issue didn't work. Stiction is actually quite a bit like the EGR Cooler issue and not fixing the Oil Cooler while taking care of the EGR Cooler. Because of that, I don't think Ford actually recommends swapping out injectors until the root cause is figured out. Especially considering the most common causes of stiction can affect the new ones as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Seams like a Pretty Hostile Thread LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Seams like a Pretty Hostile Thread LOL
LOL, yep.

::now back to the hostilities::

Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Troy,
Do you know what FICM strategy you are running?
jimmyv13,
Sorry I don't know. If the reason your asking is to obtain the Inductive Heating flash, your Ford dealer should be able to get you upgraded to the latest flash (Includes Inductive heating) at a cost of $100.

I highly recommend it.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
You know Troy, I seem to want to recall that you had some extended oil changing intervals. Have you ever considered that could be some of your issue there?
Hello Tex,

The last 5 oil change intervals I've been going to 6,500 miles to do some tests on three different oil brands. Prior to these tests I've changed my oil religiously every 5k miles.

Also, one reason why I'm not an additive fan, that some oil additives have been known to change the viscosity of the oil and that can affect it as well.
Before I tried Rev X I wasn't an additive fan either, and I'm still skeptical about most additives on the market today. As far as Rev X changing your viscosity you are literarly adding 8 oz to a 18 quart oil capacity engine which should not change your viscosity. Again with the exception of Rev X, which I personnely had great success with I'm not an oil additive advocate.

I don't know about your idle times or how you cold weather start it. It gets pretty damn cold up in Plano, about as cold on a occasion as it gets up in the hills of TN, but I don't know about Katy. But any cold starting can develop the issue just extreme ambient temps contribute more..
It got pretty cold this past January and I want to say it got down to less than 10 F a few nights in a row. Since I've been running the Inductive Heating flash, I've had no issues with stiction. Matter of fact (excluding one time my EGR valve stuck this year) my truck is running as good or better than it did new.

If that's the case, then we are spinning our wheels with this discussion. That is possible, but also stiction issues can lead to some pretty nasty things on their own if whatever was used to treat the issue didn't work. Stiction is actually quite a bit like the EGR Cooler issue and not fixing the Oil Cooler while taking care of the EGR Cooler. Because of that, I don't think Ford actually recommends swapping out injectors until the root cause is figured out. Especially considering the most common causes of stiction can affect the new ones as well.
Your injectors probably would suffer from stiction if you ran a 15W40 oil and without the inductive heating, but since you run a synthetic 5W40 it's masking the problem with your injectors as well by running a low viscosity oil (ie 5W).

Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend

Your injectors probably would suffer from stiction if you ran a 15W40 oil and without the inductive heating, but since you run a synthetic 5W40 it's masking the problem with your injectors as well by running a low viscosity oil (ie 5W).
You have to remember too, I'm not running stock injectors. I do have the inductive flash on my truck though.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
You have to remember too, I'm not running stock injectors. I do have the inductive flash on my truck though.
I know you're running AM injectors, but I'm assuming that the spool valves in your AM injectors are still stock! As I'm sure you already know, it's the spool valve that develops stiction.

BTW it's good to see your activity level up on this forum...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Y some oil additives have been known to change the viscosity of the oil and that can affect it as well..

Tex, just over 75% of RevX is just plain ol' mineral oil and a common 'additive' so figure 3oz of mineral oil and just under 1oz of actual product held in suspension so the viscosity change when 3oz are mixed with ~4gallons is insignificant.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I know you're running AM injectors, but I'm assuming that the spool valves in your AM injectors are still stock! As I'm sure you already know, it's the spool valve that develops stiction.

BTW it's good to see your activity level up on this forum...
Casserly actually had done something different on mine. Well he was working on a couple of different things, but he stopped messing with the 155s after that. I think most people were going for the 175 or 190s more.

Summer time is horse show season, it's starting to die down a bit, plus I started doing some work on the side totally unrelated and that angle has taken off a bit as well. Both of those things ate up a lot of time that I had over the last few months.

Y'all can't get rid of my that easily. Life sometimes sucks that way though.

High Binder I agree that is insignificant. When I hear the word additive though, that's just something that comes to mind.

Quick Reply: rev-x or hot shots..