Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual to auto swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 AM
casewelder123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual to auto swap

I just got a 1990 F 150 XLT Lariet 4x4. It has a manual tranny now. Its been in the family since new. My dad bought it and drove it for about 15 years than gave it to my brother in law who trashed it and now I have it. My son turn 16 in Nov. 2012 so I thought we could fix it together and than he could have it on his 16th birthday. I would prefer he was a automatic at that age. So my question is what is the easiest tranny to swap in? Planned on use a floor shift. Also will I be able to mount the transfer case or have to get the one for the auto? I know a place to get the driveshaft done at so that wont be a problem. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Elderstarr
Senior User
Why the preference for an automatic?

Had my dad tell me... if you know how to drive an old standard truck, you can drive virtually anything.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 AM
casewelder123
New User
Dont want to have him back into a car while try to get going from a stop. I think it will be much simpler for a teen drive with a auto.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Why not take him to a vacant lot, or a farm somewhere, and teach how.....Couple hours...he should be able to granpa drive at least.....

Just a thought....

Besides...Manual tranny drivers are a dying breed....Help him get his man card!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
I agree, im only 18 but my first vehicle was a 5 speed 1997 Ranger, 4.0 ext cab 4x4. 31's, it was the first standard i had driven on the road and it took only one trip through town for my to get the hang of it. Let him him keep the standard! the girls will lovee seeing him gear jamming the F150 haha

Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
An AOD would be a good swap, depending on what engine you have. You get overdrive and no computer. Your existing transfer case will bolt up providing you get a trans from another 4x4 and not a 4x2.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Why not take him to a vacant lot, or a farm somewhere, and teach how.....Couple hours...he should be able to granpa drive at least.....

Just a thought....

Besides...Manual tranny drivers are a dying breed....Help him get his man card!
Don't you have an auto?

I can't say much about mine but I don't want a racer, just a nice running highway flyer.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Beatertruck
Senior User
Originally Posted by casewelder123
Dont want to have him back into a car while try to get going from a stop. I think it will be much simpler for a teen drive with a auto.
I don't think ur giving him enough credit. I learned how to drive in a late 60's Ford p/u with a 3 on the tree and I have never backed into anyone taking off. Rather than going through the added expense of the conversion, teach him how to drive it and spend the money on making the truck into something any 16 year old would be proud to drive.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beatertruck
I don't think ur giving him enough credit. I learned how to drive in a late 60's Ford p/u with a 3 on the tree and I have never backed into anyone taking off. Rather than going through the added expense of the conversion, teach him how to drive it and spend the money on making the truck into something any 16 year old would be proud to drive.
^^^^ this.

As a father of a newly licensed teen I feel your concern. We think we can make life easier for them if the can avoid the hard things in life that we went through, but we forget it was the hard things that made us men. Have faith in your boy, he may mess up, and he might also surprise you but he'll be a better man for it.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Elderstarr
Senior User
Also if the situation arises where he has no choice but to drive a manual, he'll be able to make it home.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 AM
casewelder123
New User
Originally Posted by 1800joedaddy
^^^^ this.

As a father of a newly licensed teen I feel your concern. We think we can make life easier for them if the can avoid the hard things in life that we went through, but we forget it was the hard things that made us men. Have faith in your boy, he may mess up, and he might also surprise you but he'll be a better man for it.

Well said. Thanks all. After reading all these post I think it my turn to go to the rodeo. Well thats what my dad called it when I first learned to drive one. Also in the same truck. So he will be the second generation to learn in this truck. Thanks guys I almost overlooked another bonding moment.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Well said. Thanks all. After reading all these post I think it my turn to go to the rodeo. Well thats what my dad called it when I first learned to drive one. Also in the same truck. So he will be the second generation to learn in this truck. Thanks guys I almost overlooked another bonding moment.

DEFINANTLY some quality F/S time, and its a time he'll NEVER forget!...He'll ALWAYS remember you, the place, and the vehicle....And will thank you over and over.....

Because IMPO, a father can NEVER OVER COMPENSATE, in teaching a son what he needs to know......But in this case.....It's gonna leave an imprint on him, and then he'll probably teach his son/daughter.....

Most ppl that I've heard this little teaching lesson from, its usually been with a father, and one of their fondest memories, of how they kept failing and failing, but he never gave up on the, learning, and now they're better prepared men and women....

Because for reasons as stated before....Never know whats gonna happen, and at least he won't be stuck in a bad situation...

Also, it seems like fathers that don't teach
this nice driving lesson, the teen NEVER HAS THE MOTIVATION TO LEARN IT.....LAter in life....Then they become Stock Brokers......

Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I just got a 1990 F 150 XLT Lariet 4x4. It has a manual tranny now. Its been in the family since new. My dad bought it and drove it for about 15 years than gave it to my brother in law who trashed it and now I have it. My son turn 16 in Nov. 2012 so I thought we could fix it together and than he could have it on his 16th birthday. I would prefer he was a automatic at that age. So my question is what is the easiest tranny to swap in? Planned on use a floor shift. Also will I be able to mount the transfer case or have to get the one for the auto? I know a place to get the driveshaft done at so that wont be a problem. Thanks for your help.
First off welcome to FTE! It doesnt always happen that people give you life or parental advice first, over truck advice, but it does happen. I would keep the manual myself as well, but I respect the fact and your reasonings that you would want to swap it!

I second the AOD. Would be a pretty simple swap as well, especially if your going to go with a floor shifter, and AOD's and transfer cases can be had for fairly cheap. Dont forget the crossmember, and you need the right oz ring gear! Driveshafts up here arent cheap to get done, so in my opinion its a bonus that you know of a place!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
teach him how to shift, then have him help you put in the new clutch in six months. he will respect the truck after that, then you may have a new man to help change your oil, brakes, etc. the new clutch will pay for itself threefold...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by xkpsanit
teach him how to shift, then have him help you put in the new clutch in six months. he will respect the truck after that, then you may have a new man to help change your oil, brakes, etc. the new clutch will pay for itself threefold...

My best advice, is have him sit in the truck, and with the engine off, push the clutch in, and row through the gears.....

That way he gets the way things are, length of the throws, etc....And the general gear pattern in his mind....

My dad did that to me...Helped me TREMENDOUSLY....

Just food for thought...

Quick Reply: Manual to auto swap