Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stanadyne, preformance vs lubricity formulas

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 05:09 PM
rvfiver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stanadyne, preformance vs lubricity formulas

A couple of questions. I'm going to start using the Stanadyne additive and was wondering which of these two would be best for my application? As a full time RV'er I seldom travel to an area that gets below freezing and always use diesel#2. What is the main difference between the two? Where is the best place to purchase? I have found it online but would prefer not to pay the additional cost of shipping if I can find it locally. I'm currently in Northern Calif by Santa Rosa. Thanks for any advice

Old 04-05-2003, 06:46 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Performance Formula has a cetane improver and anti-gel additives.

Lubricity formula does not have the cetane improver or the anti-gel, but has a greater amount of lubricity agent. The www.stanadyne.com website won't open for me, but here is another link that explains the two http://www.treasurestate.com/diesel/additives.htm

If you don't need the anti-gel, you can try the Junior formula.

You might want to try Power Service Diesel Kleen (gray bottles). This is available at Walmart and Tractor Supply. It has a lubricity agent, detergent and a cetane improver.

Read about it here:

http://www.powerservice.com

Old 04-05-2003, 08:03 PM
curmudgeon
Senior User

I am just north of you in Humboldt County. Unfortunately, I have to get my Performance Formula from Diesel Injection Service in Lubbock, TX. They will ship a case of six half-gallons to your door for a total of $102.95 which includes UPS ground. I would have been willing to pay a little more to a local shop, but nobody up here will quote any less that about 60% higher, PLUS our wonderful state tax! I always support local business whenever I can, but Jeez, give me a break! Anyway, at that price the Performance Formula pays for itself with the mileage increase alone. I have noticed quicker cold starts also. The six half-gallons last me 9-12 months (20,000 miles).

Old 04-06-2003, 03:23 PM
rvfiver
Senior User

Thanks for the info! I think I'll try the Power Service diesel kleen and see how it does. Walmart just down the street. Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:37 PM
curmudgeon
Senior User

Hi rvfiver,

I don't know exactly what's going on, but when you click on the web link in my last reply to you, a competitor's web page will load, not the one I was referring to. I don't know if this bait-and-switch tactic is sanctioned by fordtrucks.com, but it's completely unacceptable, and I have reported it to the moderator.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:26 AM
alanscott
Posting Guru

Originally posted by curmudgeon
Hi rvfiver,

I don't know exactly what's going on, but when you click on the web link in my last reply to you, a competitor's web page will load, not the one I was referring to. I don't know if this bait-and-switch tactic is sanctioned by fordtrucks.com, but it's completely unacceptable, and I have reported it to the moderator.
1.6 We reserve the right to remove or edit posts which promote web
sites or companies which compete with product offerings in our
online store, www.MotorHaven.com. Our online store is our
source of income and without it we would not be able to provide
our site for free.
This is from the FTE user guidelines: https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

All is well.

Old 04-07-2003, 07:30 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Does www.motorhaven.com sell diesel fuel additives? I did not see any, but I could have missed it.

I understand and agree with the self-promotion, but this thread was about additives. If www.motorhaven.com does not sell additives, you jumped the gun by redirecting the link.

Old 04-07-2003, 09:55 AM
curmudgeon
Senior User

I didn't mean to sound like a conspiracy nut - I just wanted to make sure somebody wasn't hacking your site and redirecting your links. Your site has to earn its keep and I have no problem with that.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 AM
argve
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.6 We reserve the right to remove or edit posts which promote web
sites or companies which compete with product offerings in our
online store, www.MotorHaven.com. Our online store is our
source of income and without it we would not be able to provide
our site for free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also did not see additive for sale on motorhaven. Maybe this thread should be an eye opener for the folks in charge. I don't have a problem ordering my cases of Stanadyne from motorhaven if they offer it and sell it at the right price.

Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

The redirects are done completely automatically by the system computers. The links may be redirected if the site sells competing products of any kind. The redirects are not specific for the types of products that are being discussed. There are other business reasons that may compel these redirects also.

If you want to you can send the information to each other by using email.

Please enjoy the forums for what they are and remember to take your complaints to the Feedback forum where they belong.

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-08-2003 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:09 PM
rvfiver
Senior User

Follow up.
Just wanted to post this FYI. I decided to try the Power Service Diesel Kleen due to ease of availability. I have now put on about 200 miles after the first bottle I put in. Haven't noticed any huge difference, but perhaps a couple of small ones. It actually was harder starting the next day, Started then stalled, twice. Never done that before. But that may have been due to putting in a little more than was reccommended the first time. Possibly a slight increase in MPG, possibly running a little smoother. Ran great before the additive so it's hard to tell for sure. I'll be changing out the fuel filter today and will continue to use the additive with each fill up and will post any measureable differences.

Old 04-11-2003, 04:20 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by rvfiver
It actually was harder starting the next day, Started then stalled, twice. Never done that before. But that may have been due to putting in a little more than was reccommended the first time.
I doubt that has to do with the hard start, it should start easier. When I change my fuel filter I fill the fuel bowl with Standyne lubricity formula. That's over the recommended amount, but the truck doesn't have a problem starting.

Old 04-12-2003, 06:03 AM
BluesManF250
Senior User

I used Power Service Diesel Kleen for the first time this past fill up. The truck feels a little more responsive on acceleration and is definitely a little more quiet. It was running fine before and is running a little better now!

I too used the PS due to it being readily available at local stores. I will continue to use it and I am still waiting to see if there is a slight mpg improvement. Getting 15.45 mpg mixed driving and completely stock at this time.