1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Will I be able to use the stock radiator or am I going to have to swap that out too?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi - Have you considered buying a complete Dodge p/u 4x4, 3/4 or 1 ton around a 92 vintage with a Cummins in it. Around here they usually go fairly reasonable as the bodies are usually crap, rusted out. That way you would have matched power train. Perhaps not heavy enough for what you have in mind? Perhaps some one else has some thoughts on this. Just an idea.
Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Will I be able to use the stock radiator or am I going to have to swap that out too?
You have a pretty good sized radiator. (3 row) it should be big enough if it's good shape.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I have looked into buying a full dodge and using the parts. It's mainly a matter of what I can find. Right now I'm looking at a carbed 460 with 12,000 miles on it and a 2 year warranty for $350. He also has the axles I want in the right gearing (not sure if POSI yet, heres to hoping!) for about half of what they sell every where else I've looked. So we'll see.

Glad to see the radiator won't need to be swapped out, just never thought about it. Doesn't have any leaks or anything.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned a 300 six. Modded ever so slightly they have exllent low end torque and will stomp on 302 soundly in a pulling contest.
If you don't go diesel the 300 is the way to go.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
How about a Powerstroke? I've been looking around, seems like it might be a good choice. Would keep it a Ford and V8... finding one on the other hand, lol

Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
That 460 is sounding like a good candidate.
I use to work for U-HAUL as a Mobile Repair Unit. I drove an F-700 ramp truck. It had a split ratio rear axle, a four speed, and a 460. I guess something similar to what you have, sort of, anyway I loved driving that truck, the 460 was very adequate, if not impressive! I didn't have to buy the gas either. But really, how much driving would you honestly be doing? yeah 10 mpg sounds horrible at the pump, but if you don't drive all over the United States, maybe it won't be as bad as you think. another 2 cents thrown your way.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
As it is my brothers 302 in his '69 Bronco gets like 6-8 mpg, so it's not like I'm not use to it, but the torque and mpg of a diesel is hard to resist. Guess I'll have to wait and see, I don't have $5000 to drop on a powertrain right now, but if I set up my 4x4 the way I want to it will be easier if I ever change to something else later on. Gives me options. Plus' and minus' every way I look, lol. Why don't they make an engine that sounds like a V8, has 1000 hp and runs off of magic. That be the ticket.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah that little thing called "money" is a common problem! I always tell my wife,"I would be dangerous if I had money!"
Ultimately as I said before, I know very little about the diesel stuff, but I would really want to learn with the rig you are working on! Just seems like the overall satisfactory solution. Hop on another area here, and maybe you can get some info from the guys that DO play in tractor fuel
Cool Rig though!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You know my bias!.... Abby would love a cummins! I also thought about keeping the y-block in my f600 but a rebuild was going to be about 3k.

(I drove the truck with the y-block for 13yrs before putting the diesel in it)

I decided to spend the money on the cummins conversion instead.

If you do the work yourself and use a donor vehicle you should be able to stay in the 3k range. I bought a 94 ford f700 box truck for my donor (so its still a ford in a ford)

I have been driving the cummins powered 56 f600 for 2yrs now and I am very happy with It.

If you have any specific ? on the cummins conversion for Abby feel free to contact me

Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Will do

They had a 5.9 Cummins in a Ford? I thought Ford used the Powerstroke or the IDI

What kind of mpg have you been seeing with the Cummins in yours? And problems you had with installing it? I'll be sure to send a message your way if I find a 5.9, always nice to hear from someone who's put the same engine in the same truck in case there are specific problems.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
And I will probably end up having to Frankenstein the build to get the parts I want. My biggest problem is since I want it to be a 4x4, I need at least a Dana 60 up front to handle the wheels I want to use, those are only found in 1 ton trucks or more. And as it turns out ones from a Chevy or a Dodge have the pumpkin on the passenger side which would be very helpful in keeping everything from being on the drivers side as it's already "full" over there.

I kinda have to wait to see what I can find. I'm shorta trying to 'buy a house with a bunch of nickles' but I figure if I look it just might work out. After all, it did when I bought my truck.

btw Rusty, what all else did you have to change when you put in the diesel? Radiator, fuel lines, gas tank, gauges?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Will do

They had a 5.9 Cummins in a Ford? I thought Ford used the Powerstroke or the IDI
Keep in mind man, cummins is its own company, cummins is not dodge! Just the same as "ford" diesels, are actually International, or Navistar, not ford! (with the exception of fords new 6.7)

Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Yeah I had thought that, then I was doing research on it last night, for whatever reason I left thinking Ford used their own brand diesel. lol still thought that Ford didn't use Cummins though, but considering I just started to learn on diesels like 2 days ago, what do I know, lol.

Does make me happier though, keeps me from feeling like I put a Chevy engine in a Ford (not that I care if other people do, but for me on this build I would feel like I changed something that shouldn't have, just an odd mindset with it)

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Agrajag
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, it all comes down to money, right?

I've had the same thoughts going through my head once I found out about the condition of the flathead. Why bother with it when I can spend less money for something that produces more power and gets better mileage?

I'm still considering the cummins 4BT for the torque and mileage. It seems like a pefect fit for the truck, and I'd have room to spare compared to the 6BT. Then just mate it to an SM420 and a 9" 2.91 rear end and I have my dream truck ... right there. It's all just money, right?

I'll second the motion for the 300 straight 6. It makes good low end torque, has the reputation for reliability and should be available cheap as well. Probably one of the better options right there.

I know you want to stick with Ford, but just for fun, and if for no other reason than that noone else has mentioned it ... a common thing people do is stroke their 4.0 Jeep motors for some great torque. I just don't know about fitting an AX15 and keeping a bench seat in my truck ...

The 460 is great, I loved that engine in the 75 mercury, but I don't remember mileage being so great I do remember you can pretty much pull what you wanted with that car though.

Quick Reply: engine opinions