Rules of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rules of the Road

I had to renew my drivers license yesterday, so I had to go out to the Department of Public Saftey to get my new picture taken. Anyway, while I was there I asked to speak with someone about speed limits and the rules of the road for RV's, trailers and etc. I talked with a Captain and he was very informative on Texas "Rules of the Road" for RV's. After a few minutes he went to a computer and directed me to this link.

2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada

He said this is the most simple and straight forward rather than going thru the legal jargon of the state regs. We read thru it and I noticed the speed limits for trailers. He said yes, All RV's that are towed have a speed limit of 55 at night and 60 during the day unless otherwise posted. They will give a 10% tolerance in most cases. He said, now your local law enforcement may have different or no tolerances. He also said that if you are double towing, Texas speed toloerance is less. Our officers are trained to observe a double tow and then act if the drivers seems to be struggling or unsafe.

I asked about "out of staters" and towing into Texas and he said that Texas will look at where the RVer is from and extend the policies of that state to Texas, such as, if a state allows 80 ft of RV, then we will allow 80 Ft of RV even though we only allow 65 ft of RV, combined length.

He said he wished more people would ask about RV "Rules of the Road" but so many, just buy one, and go and never get experience or training and yet never have driven or towed in their life. He laughed and said, it would be nice if it was required to have a bright florescent "yellow bumper sticker strip" accross the back bumper indicating "rookie", kind of like what NASCAR does, with the yellow strip on the back indicating "rookie".

Good converstion and he took time with me. Much impressed and he seemed to be very thankful for the questions and inquiry.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Very cool dude! It's nice to hear when a public servant actually serves!

Wonder how long he would consider a rookie a rookie?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Very informative.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by BPofMD
Very cool dude! It's nice to hear when a public servant actually serves!

Wonder how long he would consider a rookie a rookie?
Good question, how long are you a rookie?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
He might be uninformed, but Texas is finally done with the split speed limits... On top of that, highways are about to go to 75 mph unless design and surroundings prevent it. I seriously doubt they want folks that could be running the maximum only running 15 under...

But the maximum is just a maximum, and the minimum is 30 below max...

Directly from the TTC:

Sec. 545.351. MAXIMUM SPEED REQUIREMENT.

(a) An operator may not drive at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances then existing.
(b) An operator:
(1) may not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for actual and potential hazards then existing; and
(2) shall control the speed of the vehicle as necessary to avoid colliding with another person or vehicle that is on or entering the highway in compliance with law and the duty of each person to use due care.
(c) An operator shall, consistent with Subsections (a) and (b), drive at an appropriate reduced speed if:
(1) the operator is approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing;
(2) the operator is approaching and going around a curve;
(3) the operator is approaching a hill crest;
(4) the operator is traveling on a narrow or winding roadway; and
(5) a special hazard exists with regard to traffic, including pedestrians, or weather or highway conditions.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.109, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS.

(a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:
(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;
(2) 70 miles per hour in daytime and 65 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a passenger car, motorcycle, passenger car or light truck towing a trailer bearing a vessel, as defined by Section 31.003, Parks and Wildlife Code, that is less than 26 feet in length, passenger car or light truck towing a trailer or semitrailer used primarily to transport a motorcycle, or passenger car or light truck towing a trailer or semitrailer designed and used primarily to transport dogs or livestock, on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;
(3) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a passenger car or motorcycle on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;
(4) 60 miles per hour outside an urban district if a speed limit for the vehicle is not otherwise specified by this section; or
(5) outside an urban district:
(A) 60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road;
(B) 50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:
(i) has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or
(ii) is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state; or
(C) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a truck, other than a light truck, or if the vehicle is a truck tractor, trailer, or semitrailer, or a vehicle towing a trailer other than a trailer described by Subdivision (2), semitrailer, another motor vehicle or towable recreational vehicle.

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1346, Sec. 1

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:
(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;
(2) 70 miles per hour in daytime and 65 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road, except as provided by Subdivision (4);
(3) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;
(4) outside an urban district:
(A) 60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road;
(B) 50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:
(i) has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or
(ii) is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state; or
(C) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if:
(i) the vehicle is a truck, other than a light truck, or if the vehicle is a truck tractor, trailer, or semitrailer; and
(ii) the vehicle is on a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;
(5) on a beach, 15 miles per hour; or
(6) on a county road adjacent to a public beach, 15 miles per hour, if declared by the commissioners court of the county.
(c) The speed limits for a bus or other vehicle engaged in the business of transporting passengers for compensation or hire, for a commercial vehicle used as a highway post office vehicle for highway post office service in the transportation of United States mail, for a light truck, and for a school activity bus are the same as required for a passenger car at the same time and location.
(d) In this section:
(1) "Interstate highway" means a segment of the national system of interstate and defense highways that is:
(A) located in this state;
(B) officially designated by the Texas Transportation Commission; and
(C) approved under Title 23, United States Code.
(2) "Light truck" means a truck with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of not more than 2,000 pounds, including a pick-up truck, panel delivery truck, and carry-all truck.
(3) "Urban district" means the territory adjacent to and including a highway, if the territory is improved with structures that are used for business, industry, or dwelling houses and are located at intervals of less than 100 feet for a distance of at least one-quarter mile on either side of the highway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.110(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1020, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2, eff. June 18, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1346, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

If you notice, there are two Subsection (b)... one includes the limits you say, the other does not... Also, these both seem to disagree with the signs posted for "Truck Speed Limits" on Farm to Market roads...

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.545.htm

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
In almost all cases it ends up coming down to the totality of the circumstance and the descretion of the officer. In New Jersey state max posted speed limit is 65mph and any vehicle towing a trailer is max speed of 55mph. If people followed these standards you would have less trailer tire blow outs. 75 mph is way to fast for any rv trailer.
As far as how long are you a rookie varies. The weekend warriors with minimal drive time keeps the status the longest do to lack of experiences.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The weekend warriors with minimal drive time keeps the status the longest do to lack of experiences.
x2 Its the ones we see on the side of the interstate with the dry rotted tires, brakes that have seals leaking grease on them, lights that don't work, no WD hitch on a 34 foot tow hauler being pulled by a truck with a 6 inch lift sagging in the rear. And the driver is still nursing a hangover from the night before at the dunes.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Originally Posted by 87crewdually
In almost all cases it ends up coming down to the totality of the circumstance and the descretion of the officer. In New Jersey state max posted speed limit is 65mph and any vehicle towing a trailer is max speed of 55mph. If people followed these standards you would have less trailer tire blow outs. 75 mph is way to fast for any rv trailer.
As far as how long are you a rookie varies. The weekend warriors with minimal drive time keeps the status the longest do to lack of experiences.

If one were to follow this 55mph rule, you would be wearing a Mack bulldog in your RV bumber!!! Esp on the Turnpike or 287. Even at the top of 287 ( limit is 55) the trucks run 70! I don't remember seeing any ever pulled over.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
He might be uninformed, but Texas is finally done with the split speed limits... On top of that, highways are about to go to 75 mph unless design and surroundings prevent it. I seriously doubt they want folks that could be running the maximum only running 15 under...

But the maximum is just a maximum, and the minimum is 30 below max..
This is a good point on the "one speed limit for all". And for what its worth I asked about the new speed limits that went into affect on Sept 1. He indicated that pertained to mainly day and night driving. He also said, remember, it is up to the discrection of the office in witness. He also said that there will be more definition as cases come forward in the courts. For now, they will be enforcing saftety, so again descretion of officer is the main concern.

On speed limits, if you get out past Abilene on I20 or past Junction on I10 the speed limit is now 80. So does that mean we can pull our RV's at 80? Or does that mean 70 is still the limit? I sure would not want to try and pull at 80. I would have to stop for fuel every 100 miles!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
I know that pulling my windbox of a Prowler, 80 isn't even an option. It just likes to run 65 in drive. 70 gets wobbly, and 60 isn't the right spot in the power band.

This would probably be different with a 5th wheel, or a shorter trailer.

I know that with a 20K gooseneck loaded to about 13K I could run 80 all day in the plains. Not shaky, and minimal drift...

Old 09-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
I know that pulling my windbox of a Prowler, 80 isn't even an option. It just likes to run 65 in drive. 70 gets wobbly, and 60 isn't the right spot in the power band.

This would probably be different with a 5th wheel, or a shorter trailer.

I know that with a 20K gooseneck loaded to about 13K I could run 80 all day in the plains. Not shaky, and minimal drift...
I can pull my 5er at 80 and in fact have done it in a short distance. Not even a problem getting there and holding speed, I just try and keep my eyes off the fuel gauge. Its bad enough with just towing at 60-65, but once I get over that magical 70, the fuel mileage is worse.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Once over 2K RPM's it's all up-hill!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by BPofMD
Once over 2K RPM's it's all up-hill!!!
If that ain't the truth!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
What I don't get is, aside from being unsafe, hire the hell do people afford fuel running 80 mph grossing 20k? I gross usually between 25 and 31,000 depending on the load ( cars) but the difference for me between 55 and 65 is a 2 mpg reduction in fuel mileage. I'd rather get where I'm going half am hour later and save some fuel. And I'm all for a separate license requirement for towing, too many people don't know what the hell theyre doing out there.....