2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just need a little more HP for Towing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 AM
TwinSkrewd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarter
Bet your *** my truck is in better shape then a lot of peoples here. I make enough cash to keep my **** serviced. If you buy a truck from me it'll have records and will have no wore out parts. However we don't sell our trucks here we keep them. My friend uses his truck even more then me he's got 233k it's a 05.
Oh my I have rattled someones cage. I was being funny, sarcasm/humor. But since you want to be serious, serviced or not abuse is abuse. The trans is not made to perform that task.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 AM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by TwinSkrewd
Oh my I have rattled someones cage. I was being funny, sarcasm/humor. But since you want to be serious, serviced or not abuse is abuse. The trans is not made to perform that task.
This trans is new. They asked which one I wanted, they put the heavier duty one in. It'll get a new one as soon as it goes out. New U-Joints, new wheel bearings, and here soon after harvest is over, new shocks !

Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Since we've gotten a little off subject, might as well make a few observations.
Chris, you obviously enjoy pushing the limits, and beyond, on your truck. That's apparent and that's fine, but not by my safety standards, etc. Laws are in place for a reason, and whether or not you adhere to them is your choice, but that doesn't mean that we here have to agree with it, or buy into what you choose to do or not do with your truck. Being that you're already on a 2nd trans gives me insight into how you run your truck, and again that's fine as long as you understand the consequences.

A lot of people do not understand towing and safety, etc. And we here should NOT advise anyone, novice or expert, to exceed the limitations set out by the manufacturer.

The thing here is that the truck is likely capable of pulling the weight you've put behind it, but sadly these 1/2 tons are not set up to panic stop that much weight.

I just don't want a newbie to come in here and gain the idea that he/she can safely tow 15k+ lbs behind their F150 because they "read it on FTE". Catch my drift?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
I had no issues pulling it. As for the tranny, this truck had 125k when I got it. The trans went a 4 months after I owned it. I never pull that much weight normally, but it was a larger order and one of our rigs was down, and the super duties we have were both being used. The trailer has trailer breaks, and as I stated the trailer is rated for that weight. I loaded so all the truck was doing was dragging it. I do play in the mud in my truck.

I'm sure ford didn't intend for someone to take a Ecoboost and driving around a NASCAR track for 500 laps, while dragging a loaded trailer. The point is it can do it.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ChrisCarter
I'm sure ford didn't intend for someone to take a Ecoboost and driving around a NASCAR track for 500 laps, while dragging a loaded trailer. The point is it can do it.
That truck was pulling a trailer loaded within the truck's stated limits.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
That truck was pulling a trailer loaded within the truck's stated limits.
Yes but around a nascar track... also they use it to drag logs... something most people wouldn't do... There are proving grounds and what not where they take these trucks put them beyond what they were ever intended for. The point is its not ever recommended to do something like I did, however that much weight wasn't really near as bad as I thought. I got my truck up to 60 on the parkway no issues at all. Didn't floor it just eased up to 60 never even struggled... Braking was a bit off at first but I adjusted trailer brakes and then everything was great. Sway wise there was a tad bit of swaying but nothing a experienced driver can't handle. Like I said we know how to load trailers, and yes in these parts its nothing to see someone using their truck in this manner.

Farmers can get by with a lot. Did you know that in the State of Kentucky, you do not not need a CDL to drive a semi if its used for farm purposes? I can pull a trailer without a plate or even lights hooked up to it, and all I have to do is have my licenses read once they see its a farm plate, and they let me go. We have a older 16ft trailer that is missing the lights, and isn't in the best of shape. Been pulled over a few times never got questioned no more once I stated it was a farm trailer.... If you are pulling commercial stuff or have a business then yeah you can get in some trouble for stuff like that. I don't know why farmers get by with more stuff but we do...

Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Chris, I get it, but you still don't.

You've proven to us that your truck can handle it, but you should NOT recommend to a novice driver to duplicate the same. That's what I'm getting at. Regardless of what you CAN pull, it's still not legal and outside the ratings of the truck.

This is a black and white issue, and your experiences are clearly gray.
Happy Friday.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
mountie
Senior User
Bottom line is if you tow far greater weight than your truck is rated for you endanger yourself and other people. The ratings limits were placed on these trucks for a reason by the factory. Why risk it. Also if an accident occurs you could be liable not only civilly but depending on the severity of the crash, criminally as well. Also your insurance company may refuse to pay out if it's proven the truck was overlimit. In Alberta our Motor Transport Division of the Government does routine inspections of trucks towing trailers and if they found you over limit, they will seize your vehicle and you face huge fines. I'm not judging anyone, just giving a police perspective on it.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
I get it McDavis... I just don't care... The point is someone said I didn't do it and I did.. should a new guy come in and do it? No do not try it. It could mess your truck up. Its not recommended to pull that kind of weight. My trailer, and the way I loaded it had a lot to do with it. Not to mention I have a beefier tranny...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM
papasmurf40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Davis he still doesn't really get it. He is still a danger to himself and others