Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 ford 7.3 with no smoke

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
f350custom
Senior User
f350custom is starting off with a positive reputation.
00 ford 7.3 with no smoke

ok i have had a few diesel trucks 85 f250 6.9 256,000 miles when we sold , still have a 95 f250 7.3 psd with 400,000 and still going now we are driving a 2000 f350 drw crewcab 4x4 7.3 with 200,000 on it and it does not smoke at all. before i bought it it got 8 rebuilt injectors put in it then when i got it i replaced the turbo with the garret 38R bb turbo an all new hpop lines an orings , new international up pipes .no chip or tuner being used. the truck seems to run fine i put the snapon scanner on it an all is fine. i just pulled our trailer this weekend an it pulls great but no smoke is this good or bad. when i say no smoke i mean no smoke even on start up . my peterbilt smokes like a train why dont this one smoke ????

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
The newer the trucks, the less smoke they produce. The 99 - 03 7.3 will only produce a puff of smoke at high rpm shifts unless you put a chip on it or a plastic bag over the air filter. A stick will produce more smoke than an auto in stock form.

Sounds normal to me. If you want to throw on a 4" turbo back exhaust, upgraded intake, a set of gauges, and a good chip, you could really wake the motor up and get it moving. You'll also get more smoke that way. Otherwise, just maintain it properly and keep an eye on the factory air intake lid for any leaks.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Enjoy being in the proper minority.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM
f350custom
Senior User
f350custom is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok well then it must be running the way it should . i am going to do 4inch exhaust and the rest of the upgrades like you said as soon as i get some more free cash. is there any good air cleaner set up better than the stock one that not only flows more but also filters to ? whos chip would be good to use an yes i do tow alot ?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Enjoy being in the proper minority.
Mine will smoke under heavy acceleration or shifts at higher rpm's with a stock tune Cody. I've never had a chip on it, although Tony keeps threatening to put one on when I'm not looking.

Originally Posted by f350custom View Post
ok well then it must be running the way it should . i am going to do 4inch exhaust and the rest of the upgrades like you said as soon as i get some more free cash. is there any good air cleaner set up better than the stock one that not only flows more but also filters to ? whos chip would be good to use an yes i do tow alot ?
There are several options out there for intakes. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you want to spend. The Ford AIS kit is good but pricey. If you can find a used 6.0 intake it's the same thing for less money. AFE stage II and some of the S&B intakes are also very good. The cheap version is what we call the 6637 mod, which is a Wix #546637 air filter (also offered by several other filter manufacturers). You can get an idea of what the filters look like here FilterCovers as well as a link to purchase a custom dust cover for them.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to all
Riffraff has everything you need at unbeatable prices. Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Diesel Parts Supply | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts | Ford Diesel Performance | Diesel Truck Parts
They have the 6637 intake in kit form if that's the way you decide to go. Keep in mind that any open air filter setup will make more noise than a closed one like the Ford AIS or S&B. Some like the noise. I did not. Riffraff also has the Ford AIS for less than my cost. Be sure to install gauges before you add the tuner to prevent a meltdown.

Many here run DpTuner. I am running Tony Wildman tunes. http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/Default.asp There are quit a few others. You will be a lot happier with custom tunes instead of the off the shelf programmers such as Edge, Super Chips, ect. and your trans will live longer.

I would do it in this order.
Exhaust
Intake
Gauges
Tuner

You'll have a whole different truck when your done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.