DIY Auto Transmission Remove and Replace in driveway??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

DIY Auto Transmission Remove and Replace in driveway???

Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Posting Guru

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DIY Auto Transmission Remove and Replace in driveway???

Hello Folks,

I have a 2002 F350 7.3L diesel. 195k miles. 4x4 Off Road package. Tranny is deadskies.

Has anyone tried to remove & replace their automatic tranny in their driveway, shadetree-mechanic-style?

I have a scissor lift but it would only get in the way if I used it and I dont even know if it would lift the truck....

Has anyone done this themselves using ramps? Jack stands? Mine is a 4x4 Offroad package so its relatively high up off the ground to begin with.

Think Im gonna go with a straight Ford replacement. Unlimited mile warranty for 3 years...$2200 AND they will repair or replace if it is defective even if I do the install unlike other tranny remanufacturers (Moveras, Drive Power etc).

Will replace cooler and flush or replace lines as well.

Thanks,

a
Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The worst part is that the transmission weighs 270 pounds. You'll probably want to take the transfer case off first, it adds about 150 pounds to that.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
I've done it on several trucks before. Last time was in my 1994 F-150 (stock height).

Get a good jack and jackstands and/or ramps. Get the tires about another foot of the ground so you have more room to play with.

I personally put the front tires on ramps (I built using wood. vary lengths of 2x8 (think steps)) and the rear axle was on jackstands.

I would suggest having a buddy help you. And a nice rolling floor jack. Unbolt the trans and let the floorjack take the weight. I'm a pretty big boy (6'3" at 250 lbs), so I just manhandled the last one. It was ticking me off and I got tired of playing with the jack.

it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to ask what a local shop would charge just for the labor of unbolting and re-bolting new one. It might be worth paying them $200-300. A trans swap is a pretty cake swap in any decently equipped shop
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
transmission weighs 270 pounds.
wow! yeah, have a buddy help
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM

redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
It is not hard, just a heavy ****. Beg, borrow or steal a transmission jack.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have done a couple on my back, not the best way but doable as Mark said xfercase off, and before you put the rebuilt unit in read up on the pros & cons of the ford rebuilt I'm not a fan! Look into John woods & brains truck shop, even ATS, IMHO
Jim...& fat Monty
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylus View Post
I've done it on several trucks before. Last time was in my 1994 F-150 (stock height).

Get a good jack and jackstands and/or ramps. Get the tires about another foot of the ground so you have more room to play with.

I personally put the front tires on ramps (I built using wood. vary lengths of 2x8 (think steps)) and the rear axle was on jackstands.

I would suggest having a buddy help you. And a nice rolling floor jack. Unbolt the trans and let the floorjack take the weight. I'm a pretty big boy (6'3" at 250 lbs), so I just manhandled the last one. It was ticking me off and I got tired of playing with the jack.

it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to ask what a local shop would charge just for the labor of unbolting and re-bolting new one. It might be worth paying them $200-300. A trans swap is a pretty cake swap in any decently equipped shop
So you were able to clear the bellhousing under the frame? I am feeling empowered!

I have an exhaust leak as well which is easily dealt with once the tranny is off, so I have more incentive to do it myself so I can deal with the exhaust issue as well. Save some more $$$.

So ramps up front and jack up the rear and place on heavy duty jack stands? mmmm sounds like I can do this.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's one of the easiest trannys to do on the floor said from the weight but it comes out like it covered in crisco!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
So you were able to clear the bellhousing under the frame? I am feeling empowered!

I have an exhaust leak as well which is easily dealt with once the tranny is off, so I have more incentive to do it myself so I can deal with the exhaust issue as well. Save some more $$$.

So ramps up front and jack up the rear and place on heavy duty jack stands? mmmm sounds like I can do this.

It would be a great time to tackle the up pipes if that's the leaks your are referring to?

Here is a pretty much permanent fix to not have to replace the donuts any more, Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddsl View Post
I have done a couple on my back, not the best way but doable as Mark said xfercase off, and before you put the rebuilt unit in read up on the pros & cons of the ford rebuilt I'm not a fan! Look into John woods & brains truck shop, even ATS, IMHO
Jim...& fat Monty
John Wood is in Cali. Im in MD. What kinda of warranty service are they gonna offer? I wrote to Brian's....they never wrote back. But they arent close either. Need a nationwide warranty...maybe JASPER? $2700 for tranny from Jasper. Installation is another $800.

So I drop the transfer case first then tranny?

Thanks guys,

Lex
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
It's one of the easiest trannys to do on the floor said from the weight but it comes out like it covered in crisco!
That's what the diesel mechanic at Ford said to me...He said its like 8 bolts and the driveshaft and it falls out the truck. haha.

Thanks,

A
Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
It would be a great time to tackle the up pipes if that's the leaks your are referring to?

Here is a pretty much permanent fix to not have to replace the donuts any more, Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit

WOW thanks!

Yes the mechanic told me its leaking at one of the exhaust pipes located behind the turbo...and that it would be a peice of cake to R&R with the tranny out. If the tranny isnt out the turbo needs to come out to reach the leaking flange.

I assumed I could just change the leaking gasket, assuming the flange hasnt rusted.

I guess your implying that I the pipe wont be reusable?

Lex
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Posting Guru

John Woods or BTS will take unlimited power (with a 7.3) ^so you won't be changing it again the ford rebuilt will be marginal parts from already failed trannys put together with new clutches and seals you will use the warranty over and over, I did! As did several of my friends, my John Woods gets hammered daily with 420hp for the last 2 years no slippage no missed shifts no burnt fluid, just rock solid operation! I had it shipped to me! ^so that's not an excuse!
Jim...&fat Monty
Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
John Woods or BTS will take unlimited power (with a 7.3) ^so you won't be changing it again the ford rebuilt will be marginal parts from already failed trannys put together with new clutches and seals you will use the warranty over and over, I did! As did several of my friends, my John Woods gets hammered daily with 420hp for the last 2 years no slippage no missed shifts no burnt fluid, just rock solid operation! I had it shipped to me! ^so that's not an excuse!
Jim...&fat Monty
Ya but IF his tranny fails, is he gonna pay for someone to fix it in Maryland? Or is he gonna make me take it off and ship all 300 pounds back to him so he can evaluate? .....ouch.

You sure have nice cleavage Mr.,

A
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
MMNC (SS)

are you replacing the torque converter as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
So I drop the transfer case first then tranny?
yes

-unbolt driveshaft (x2 if 4x4)
-drop the t-case
-support the trans with a jack, and then unbolt and remove the trans crossmember
-remove the bellhousing bolts and all the linkages and electrical connections
-slide the trans backwards 2-3" to clear the input shaft, then slowly lower using the jack

FYI, when you put her all back together, make sure the Torque Converter is fully seated. The newer ones are tricky to get seated properly at times.