6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bearing Cap Seized to crank...Mystery needs solving

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 06:03 PM
Helirescue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearing Cap Seized to crank...Mystery needs solving

Please , I need some help Solving a problem... Quick background-
My 2011 F-250 6.7 truck 125k miles,died while towing a trailer on the freeway. I had towed to the dealership and torn apart. They found Metal in the pan so the motor was pulled to diagnose the cause. The mechanic found that
The bearing cap is seized to the crank and significant bearing damage to other bearings.
and my motor is shot.
The oil was changed 6k miles prior and was near full
Can anyone think of a Reasonable cause for this to happen?
Warranty company is trying to say I Had low oil Level and not cover it. But I checked the oil immediately upon breakdown and it was fine.
I have limited knowledge about motors and need help presenting my counter argument showing other possible causes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 764 Likes on 402 Posts
Wow. What kind of oil was in it?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:20 PM
Helirescue
New User
Oil Type

Originally Posted by jollyrogr
Wow. What kind of oil was in it?
Valvoline 5-40 Synthetic

Old 08-21-2020, 06:33 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 764 Likes on 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Helirescue
Valvoline 5-40 Synthetic
pure blue extreme? Or some other stuff? AFAIK, Valvoline PBX is supposed to be pretty good diesel oil.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Think you are going to need the tech to state what the oil level was prior to tear down.

You probably need to copy the oil change recommendations per ford to show you follow the schedule.

Is this an oil pump issue or oil sump plugged up issue?

Were there any codes stored in the PCM?

Old 08-21-2020, 08:04 PM
Helirescue
New User
No fault codes

[byU QUOTE=senix;19443453]Think you are going to need the tech to state what the oil level was prior to tear down.

Thank you I will check if they tested the pump. No codes and oil level was a little over a quart low
I am going to have to confirm that he checked the sump.
i gave them the maintenance records, oil changes every 7k

You probably need to copy the oil change recommendations per ford to show you follow the schedule.

Is this an oil pump issue or oil sump plugged up issue?

Were there any codes stored in the PCM?[/QUOTE]

Old 08-21-2020, 11:22 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
who was the "warranty" with?? anything other than ford and you might be screwed..

most of the non factory warranties are mostly junk.. they will find as you are already seeing, reasons to deny the claim.. If you do a search I bet you will find the bearing issues was a know items on the 12's and some 13's as well. good luck.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Hence forth, As I do, change your oil every 5K, Check your oil weekly and when towing, check at fuel stops as best you can and daily before continuing on your journey.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Helirescue
New User
Thanks guys

Yes it is a aftermarket warranty company, I think that i need to hire someone to go down to the shop and do a analysis and test the pump and check for clogged sump And lines and document what they find. So that I have support for my fight, Otherwise I have to buy a new motor. If that is the case I’ll be asking you guys recommendations on getting a used motor and install.
Thanks again for the help

Old 08-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by carl2591
who was the "warranty" with?? anything other than ford and you might be screwed..

most of the non factory warranties are mostly junk.. they will find as you are already seeing, reasons to deny the claim.. If you do a search I bet you will find the bearing issues was a know items on the 12's and some 13's as well. good luck.
Not sure where you got this info but on this forum there have been only a very few 6.7 engines with bearing problems. I am not aware of any 6.7 year engines having any bearing problems.

Also, the 6.7 bearings are tangless. Tangs on bearing do not prevent bearings from spinning. The tangs are only use for locating. Bearing crush is what prevents bearings from spinning.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:13 PM
buba 11
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Put a new motor in it and hire a lawyer!!!!!! They will settle rather than get into it!
thats total @#$%^!!

Old 08-22-2020, 05:36 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
I was thinking i had seen that on powerstorkhelp.com bill hewett in atlanta.. he has gotten some and it seem like i remember them being an issue with bearing and journal problems. not a lot but if it yours to goes pop you are not happy.

I hope the OP get this taken care of but i suspect it will be a battle for sure..

hope he will let us know how it going with the Extended warranty guys and who they are.. ?

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Not sure where you got this info but on this forum there have been only a very few 6.7 engines with bearing problems. I am not aware of any 6.7 year engines having any bearing problems.

Also, the 6.7 bearings are tangless. Tangs on bearing do not prevent bearings from spinning. The tangs are only use for locating. Bearing crush is what prevents bearings from spinning.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:30 AM
Helirescue
New User
1st US Auto Protect

1st US Autoprotect
is the Warranty Company,
I will keep you guys posted.
I Get off work in a couple days and I will head over to the dealer .
Originally Posted by carl2591
I was thinking i had seen that on powerstorkhelp.com bill hewett in atlanta.. he has gotten some and it seem like i remember them being an issue with bearing and journal problems. not a lot but if it yours to goes pop you are not happy.

I hope the OP get this taken care of but i suspect it will be a battle for sure..

hope he will let us know how it going with the Extended warranty guys and who they are.. ?

Old 08-26-2020, 12:52 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think your oil had anything to do with this failure. This is the reason I wouldn't own a 2011 6.7. I had a customer that bought a 2011 with 88,000 miles. Right about 130,000 his blew going down the highway. He blamed the oil I put in it but I pulled a sample and sent it in and the lab said the oil was fine. It didn't even have metal in the oil. I believe his dropped a valve and destroyed just one cylinder. He was an older guy that drove careful. On the flip side i also have another customer that has well over 200k on his 11 with no major issues. Just my $.02

Old 08-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Helirescue
New User
Thanks WillyDMax for the input

That is a great point.
I just got off the phone with the warranty company and they ar saying the claim is denied due to “lack of lubrication “
I explained that there are no fault code lights recorded and I added 1.5 -2 quarts on the side of the freeway when I was broken down and when the mechanic got the truck he said it was 1 qt over filled.
the mechanic also said that the truck would have to run with about 4 quarts or less of oil to have no lube And cause this kind of damage.
which obviously would have recorded a fault code.
im at a loss on my next course of action.
any ideas?

Originally Posted by willydmax
I don't think your oil had anything to do with this failure. This is the reason I wouldn't own a 2011 6.7. I had a customer that bought a 2011 with 88,000 miles. Right about 130,000 his blew going down the highway. He blamed the oil I put in it but I pulled a sample and sent it in and the lab said the oil was fine. It didn't even have metal in the oil. I believe his dropped a valve and destroyed just one cylinder. He was an older guy that drove careful. On the flip side i also have another customer that has well over 200k on his 11 with no major issues. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Bearing Cap Seized to crank...Mystery needs solving