1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Going to tackle water pumps today (1952 8rt F1)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
FlatHeadFat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to tackle water pumps today (1952 8rt F1)

Hello fellow truckers, for the sake of documenting as well as story telling:

After some cleaning and "gunk removal" on the front of the engine I noticed some antifreeze floating in the timing slot on the passenger side water pump and started searching around and learning as much as I could about this cooling system. I read somewhere that "Flatheads do not breathe very well" and that "Most Flathead trucks suffered from cooling issues." This prompted me to fork out the "moolah" for better water pumps that could possibly extend the life of my 60 year old "obsession."

After those arrived I brought them over to see how they looked and I realized I NEEDED motor mounts. So I ordered both upper and lower motor mounts from Mac's.

So, the only thing I should need now is hardware. I figured I could get that locally, and save handling charges.

MY CONCERNS: Can I get proper bolts/nuts at the local hardware store?
Does anyone have any sources as to the exact length and diameter of the hardware?

The engine has to be jacked, and I would rather not have to leave the vehicle unattended while I drive to the store to match the old bolts with new ones.

Do these Speedway pumps require a different thermostat and or radiator cap?
Can I use these pumps with the original radiator?

And my final question for all of you ever so patient folks; On both new water pumps, there is a threaded hole for connecting a hose to the heater, but on the original pumps only the passenger side has this hole.

Can I plug the driver side hole with a short bolt? Should I use any thread sealer or tape? Or is it possible to rig both of the hoses up to the heater?

Basically I'd like know any tips & tricks that you folks have with this stuff, especially if you've had experience with the Speedway pumps.

I understand I'm burning through a lot of topics, but I promise your time helping me will be rewarded with pictures as well as karma.

Peace & Love truckers,
Lucas.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Well, there's one thing to consider right away; '52 V8's used a one-year-only motor mount (biscuits, washers, and bolts). Are you sure you got the right ones? I'm not sure that the ones from MACs are really '52 and not 48-51. I was looking at them on-line and it was not clear that they are. Compare closely.

The bolts are shoulder bolts, that is, they aren't threaded as much as hardware store bolts. It's been 10 years since I did pumps, but my recollection is that you can't get an exact bolt locally, but you can get something that will work. I'd bet someone on here who is tossing their flathead in favor of something modern could come up with some good OEM bolts for you. (but they need to be '52's)

You can remove the bolts on the motor mounts and leave the engine sitting on the biscuits while you check around. You could stick a regular old bolt in there if you want.

Do not use anything but a 4-psi radiator cap or you'll pop the upper tank on the radiator.

Don't forget there is a hidden bolt on the WPs accessed thru the inlet from the radiator!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM
FlatHeadFat
New User
Thanks for the tips! The mounts I ordered, were an upper and a lower of each, and they are made out of metal and have a thick rubber coating around them. I think I read somewhere that the 52 mounts were different, and that's why I ended up going with Mac's, instead of NAPA. Only time shall tell.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe that the 52 6 cyl and 8 cyl rubber mounts also were different. Somewhere I have a set of the correct 52 flathead mounts and bolts from when I removed the flathead in my 52.

Ross, can you post a picture of yours so I can see if I have them, please?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I can't guarantee that mine are right! They were the very first part I bought for my truck 10 years ago, since my PO didn't think MM's were "necessary". (The engine was laying on the front axle... yet he claimed to "drive it regularly"...) I did not become aware of the difference until later, and I can't remember if I did anything about it. I'll get a pic ASAP.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
I just looked at the mounts I ordered and the package says 6cylinder! So angrily, I traced the part numbers back and online they are labeled under v8. They look roughly the same size as the old mounts.

Product number 8L-6038-B

Old 08-26-2011, 02:17 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Perhaps they could be the same for V8 and 6 cyl. I bought the upper and lower for my 6 cyl. I'll have to find the ones I took out to compare. I think I know where I put them.

As for replacements bolts, I used Grade 8 bolts with washers and a lock ring washer that I bought at the local hardware store. I'm sure that you can find black automotive nuts and bolts at NAPA.

Did you also get the lower motor mount, 8L-6039-B? Not sure if the V8 needs them.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
yep yep i have 2 of each.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Quote: "And my final question for all of you ever so patient folks; On both new water pumps, there is a threaded hole for connecting a hose to the heater, but on the original pumps only the passenger side has this hole.

Can I plug the driver side hole with a short bolt? Should I use any thread sealer or tape? Or is it possible to rig both of the hoses up to the heater?"

That threaded hole should be cut with NPT specs (national pipe threads) which are tapered slightly. A regular bolt won't seal properly, but a pipe plug is easy to find.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
Originally Posted by mtflat
Quote: "That threaded hole should be cut with NPT specs (national pipe threads) which are tapered slightly. A regular bolt won't seal properly, but a pipe plug is easy to find.
Where can i find this NPT pipe plug?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Usually they're made out of brass and can be found at a well stocked hardware store, your local plumbing supplier or a supplier that sells brass fittings.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
So i googled this pipe plug and found what looks like a solid nut, that is threaded around its circumfrance, is this what im looking for? http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=140&uid=2083196362

Should i use any sort of sealant on it?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
As long as it's pipe thread it will work just fine. A little pipe dope or permatex sealant will eliminate any leaks.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
That's the one. I've also seen tapered bolts with an actual bolt head.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
awesome thank you for all the help!

Quick Reply: Going to tackle water pumps today (1952 8rt F1)