Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

High Mileage Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Mileage Oil...

After continued use of Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend motor oil, I finally switched to Castrol High Mileage Part Synthetic 5W-30.

I been using a quart of oil about every 2000 miles, so going to see if the change in oil will make a difference.

I am not leaking any oil, just using it would be the term to use. Probably got some blow-by in the rings and that is where the oil is going.

Castrol seems to be the best of all the high mileage oils. I also went from 5W-20 to a 5w-30 weight.

Ford (Motorcraft) does make a high mileage synthetic blend oil, but it has to be ordered from Ford. Maybe some Ford parts depts. keep it on th shelf, but two dealers by me say they have to order it. It's probably made by one the big oil companies any, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil or whomever for Ford.

It may take more than just one oil change to see a difference, so going to stay with it for a few changes.

My 2003 V6 Escape has 135,450 miles on the od...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
I won't run on those stuff.

Just change old PVC with new motorcraft PVC then do tune up.

I will stick with 5w20 motorcraft with motorcraft oil filter.

I had several with over 150K to 300K miles I use 5w20 on it but one with over 200K I use 5w30 FULL SYNTHETIC.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Your grammer is fine, not any worse than mine for sure.

I agree with the Motorcraft 5w-20, good oil at a reasonable price.

I did some research on high mileage oils, and not to get into a long discussion, it seems Castrol makes the best out there right now.

If I see no difference in oil consumption will definetely go back to Motorcraft 5w-20.

Like I said, not leaking any oil, just using it, and this may be normal.

Had tune-up done and PCV valve changed at 110,000 miles. Vehicle runs great, just uses oil.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
tcesni
Elder User
I will be interested in whether you see a difference. I have an 02 with 185,000 miles and I am still using 5-20 Mobil 1 but I do need to add a quart after 3000 - 4000 miles. I typically go 7500 between changes.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
I agreed with you on Castrol but I wouldn't dare to use high mileage oil it just scam to me.

Just use Castrol Edge FULL Synthetic which will keep your engine CLEAN and last long.

My friend who never maintain so I tried Castrol Edge I swear it stay gold at 5K miles so 10K miles I finally force him to let me change oil it wasn't sludge or coal black it just light dark black.

Those miles were tons of IDLE/city traffic in E250 with nearby 3-4K pound of load.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Well we will see if a scam or not. High Mileage oil is supposed to super clean the engine and has some additives. The primary additive conditions seals in the engine. These conditioners soak into the valve seals and actually causes them to expand which in turn reduces the amount of oil entering the cylinder.

Castrol USA - Castrol GTX High Mileage

I have been using synthetic blend oil since I had the vehicle so do not think just by using synthetic motor oil will be of any benefit for my oil consumption problem.

There are too many myths out there about using synthetic oil versus conventional oil. Each type has its pro's and cons.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyford
Well we will see if a scam or not. High Mileage oil is supposed to super clean the engine and has some additives. The primary additive conditions seals in the engine. These conditioners soak into the valve seals and actually causes them to expand which in turn reduces the amount of oil entering the cylinder.

Castrol USA - Castrol GTX High Mileage

I have been using synthetic blend oil since I had the vehicle so do not think just by using synthetic motor oil will be of any benefit for my oil consumption problem.

There are too many myths out there about using synthetic oil versus conventional oil. Each type has its pro's and cons.
I have soaked gasket materials that comes in a roll in oil so it doesn't rip while cutting. Considering the different materials that valve stem seals are made of which isn't porous like common gasket paper, I don't really see how anything can soak into them and make them swell. If they do which I kind-of doubt, there are different materials, how would they know how much each would swell?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by wptski
I have soaked gasket materials that comes in a roll in oil so it doesn't rip while cutting. Considering the different materials that valve stem seals are made of which isn't porous like common gasket paper, I don't really see how anything can soak into them and make them swell. If they do which I kind-of doubt, there are different materials, how would they know how much each would swell?
Maybe I can make some money off Castrol for false advertising, ya think?

tcesni, will let you know after I put about 2200 miles on using this oil. I will not guarantee any difference since this my first oil change using it, like I said, it may take a few changes to see any difference. My next change will be when we start going into colder weather, will use the Castrol High Mileage oil but instead of 5W-30, will go back to 5W-20.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I can make some money off Castrol for false advertising, ya think?
Lots of things don't work as advertised! Of course, unless everything you purchase does or has? I'm driving one right now that doesn't.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Have you done an Italian Tune Up??? That much oil being consuming sounds like this engine never sees hard driving and the rings are losing their seal!!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 AM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Have you done an Italian Tune Up??? That much oil being consuming sounds like this engine never sees hard driving and the rings are losing their seal!!
Gee I don't know...been going back and forth to work on Route 80 here in Jersey and if you do below 80 MPH horns start honking and high beams start flashing to get out of the way. I don't think I have done anything but hard driving these past 4 years. My mpg suffer greatly from this, but doing 65 is a thing of the past around here, the interstate is like a race track all headed for the Big Apple.

Can't see how carbon or anything else could build up in the engine.

What it boils down to is I am using almost a quart of oil about every 2000 to 2500 miles. It could be something mechanically wrong inside the engine. I can't tell because the engine runs perfectly. Even at 4 to 5 thousand rpms everything sounds great. No blue smoke out of the exhaust and no leaking, did the white paper trick under the vehicle.

Like I said earlier, it just may be normal to use oil in these engines. The oil I was using was relatively very light in viscosity, 5W-20, and could easily get past slightly worn seals and rings and be burned in the combustion chamber of the cylinder.

Castrol High Mileage oil is supposed to fix this, we will see.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
FWIW, some oils have a higher propensity to vaporize and get fed through the PCV and burned. This can occur with no visible blue smoke. I would venture that each brand has a different 'vapor point' and if you happen to use a brand with a lower value, you will consume oil more than the others. It may be a publicly posted piece of information on the makers site, as Shell, for one, does post some technical tidbits like that. I was looking for compressor oil, and somehow found some of these specifications. Somewhere. Somewhen. On the web ...
tom

Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Could be my imagination, but engine feels a little sluggish with the 5w-30. Definitely going back to 5W-20 next oil change. Castrol does make their High Mileage oil in the 5W-20 viscosity. Could just be me antcipating something different since I always have used Motorcraft 5W-20.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 AM
VWscooby
New User
Could be my imagination, but engine feels a little sluggish with the 5w-30. Definitely going back to 5W-20 next oil change. Castrol does make their High Mileage oil in the 5W-20 viscosity. Could just be me antcipating something different since I always have used Motorcraft 5W-20.
You are not the first to mention the change in performance when using 5-30 in a car that calls for 5-20. back when i worked at firestone, we have customers that would swear that using 5-30 in their toyota's that call for 5-20 would loose them about 2 mpg and performance. I like castrol oil (besides that they are owned by BP) and i would recommend that you try the 5-20 high mileage next time and report back!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by VWscooby
You are not the first to mention the change in performance when using 5-30 in a car that calls for 5-20. back when i worked at firestone, we have customers that would swear that using 5-30 in their toyota's that call for 5-20 would loose them about 2 mpg and performance. I like castrol oil (besides that they are owned by BP) and i would recommend that you try the 5-20 high mileage next time and report back!
Don't see any difference in mpg, but just seems to me, and again could be my imagination, that engine just seems a bit sluggish now that 5W-30 is in the crankcase.

Yes definetly will go back to 5W-20.

The reasoning for using 5W-30 was I thought it might help with the oil consumption.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Oil...