Sponsored by: Moser

1978 F250 Custom Interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crsweet78
The enclosure behind the seats is for the subwoofer which is mounted in the middle under the jumpseat. Its basically an empty sealed enclosure that houses your subwoofer. The size of an enclosure depends on what size subwoofer you use. It looks big, but its actually completely hidden behind the seats, the only part of it you actually see is right above the jump seat.
Oh I gotcha. That's one friggen huge sub box for a single sub. Nice work on covering it in leather tho.

For a second there, I thought that I was some how some part of the mounting mechanism or something that came for the seat.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
khodge460
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get those door panels? those are amazing

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khodge460
where did you get those door panels? those are amazing
I molded the door panels out of fiberglass and the arm rests are made out of MDF. Thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
khodge460
New User
I molded the door panels out of fiberglass and the arm rests are made out of MDF. Thanks
if only i was creative id make something like that fore mine

Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 PM
belk42
Junior User
i would like to know the answer to the question about leg room. i am 6'6 and just got a 78 from my father in law and was looking at doing the same thing with the newer seats. do you think you lost much leg room with the new seats?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Originally Posted by belk42
i would like to know the answer to the question about leg room. i am 6'6 and just got a 78 from my father in law and was looking at doing the same thing with the newer seats. do you think you lost much leg room with the new seats?
I have had friends that are 6'5 in my truck, but theyve never driven it. I did lose a little leg room and the seats sit a touch higher. Im only 5'11 so I dont really have to worry about leg room. But i am planning on having an upholstery shop take some of the foam of the back and bottom cushions to gain it back. I did have to take off the sliding unit on the bottom of the seats beacause it added too much height. If you do want a pair of newer style seats then you will need to alter them to fit you, but you can get it to work. And make sure you have a tilt steering column or swap one in. The aftermarket racing style seats from like summit or jegs sit a lot lower and arent as bulky so thats an option.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM
kevin316
Elder User
Very nice job! That is how I envision mine but I have a hard time getting the picture in my head on to the paper.

Do you have pictures of the door panels before they were covered? When you say they are fiberglass is it fiberglass you made from scratch or is it just cut from a sheet you bought? (I think I know the answer but I thought I would ask). How did you fasten them to the door?

Hats off to the clean job you did with the wiring. I'm obsessed with detail and sometimes it's nice to know your not the only one.

Lets see some more pics of the truck.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
man that is SWEET! Nice work!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Originally Posted by kevin316
Very nice job! That is how I envision mine but I have a hard time getting the picture in my head on to the paper.

Do you have pictures of the door panels before they were covered? When you say they are fiberglass is it fiberglass you made from scratch or is it just cut from a sheet you bought? (I think I know the answer but I thought I would ask). How did you fasten them to the door?

Hats off to the clean job you did with the wiring. I'm obsessed with detail and sometimes it's nice to know your not the only one.

Lets see some more pics of the truck.
I didnt take pictures while I was making the door panels, I should have. But I made a mold of the door by taking masking tape and completely covering the inside of the doors. This allows you to pop the molds off the doors once the fiberglass sets up. I mixed up some resin and used shredded fiberglass mat to make a couple layers on the door, making sure to fiberglass every contour of the door, this allows a snug fit. I then drilled holes in my fiberglass molds where the clips go into the door and put the ford style metal clips in each mold and fiberglassed over each clip to hold them in place. After fixing the panels where i wanted them to be, I trimmed any excess fiberglass to fit the inside shape of the door. I then used 1/8" masonite and trimmed to fit in the middle of each mold and fiberglassed them in place, thats how i got a large flat door panel that molded to the door but still had a nice flat face to do my upholstery on. Then I layered my upholstery on my panels. Armrests were made out of 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, thats how i got the shape i wanted but also the thickness. I tried to do everything as clean as possible and keep all the fasteners hidden, it keeps people guessing.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
That's absolutely AWESOME work! Look forward to seeing more.

I have a question on the wiring. You said you used a painless kit. I assume universal and you crimped/soldered the ends on? Also, what are you doing for A/C? Is it aftermarket, or did you just use a non-A/C dash and insert the vents?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
nlareau
Senior User
Dang dude, that's beautiful. Nice work.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
crsweet78
Elder User
Originally Posted by teds74ford
That's absolutely AWESOME work! Look forward to seeing more.

I have a question on the wiring. You said you used a painless kit. I assume universal and you crimped/soldered the ends on? Also, what are you doing for A/C? Is it aftermarket, or did you just use a non-A/C dash and insert the vents?
The painless kit was the universal fuse block, its a very good investment, and really helps clean up your wiring. Im using the stock A/C, I got rid of all the plastic vents and patched up the square cutouts with sheetmetal. then used a hole saw to cutout where I wanted the round vents. Body worked and painted it up. The ***** for the A/C controls were replaced with chrome ones.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have those same seats out of a 2006 F150 in gray. Mine, however, are sitting in my garage waiting on my truck to get back from the paint shop. I did opt for the console between the seats as opposed to the jump seat. It would be nice to see the rest of your truck. I am sure it is as beautiful as the interior. I am beyond impressed.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I have those same seats out of a 2006 F150 in gray. Mine, however, are sitting in my garage waiting on my truck to get back from the paint shop. I did opt for the console between the seats as opposed to the jump seat. It would be nice to see the rest of your truck. I am sure it is as beautiful as the interior. I am beyond impressed.
Thanks a lot. The F150 seats look really nice in these trucks, they look factory, thats the look I was going for. I dont know if youve test fit them yet, but you will need to cut the sliding unit off the bottom and make new mounting pedastools. Also I didnt do this at first, but flip the headreasts. It makes the seats much more comfortable. Another thing I would reccommend with the seats is having an upholstery shop dish the back cushion in a little. I havent done this yet, but I think it will make them really comfortable. Let me know if you would like pics of how I mounted or if you need any advice.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks a lot. The F150 seats look really nice in these trucks, they look factory, thats the look I was going for. I dont know if youve test fit them yet, but you will need to cut the sliding unit off the bottom and make new mounting pedastools. Also I didnt do this at first, but flip the headreasts. It makes the seats much more comfortable. Another thing I would reccommend with the seats is having an upholstery shop dish the back cushion in a little. I havent done this yet, but I think it will make them really comfortable. Let me know if you would like pics of how I mounted or if you need any advice.
I would actually love to see some pics of how they are mounted. A friend is going to make the brackets for me, but if he had a reference photo, it would save a ton of time. I appreciate the time, thanks.

Quick Reply: 1978 F250 Custom Interior