1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I borrowed money from my 401k....please vent here!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I changed the title a bit. I think this is an eye opener for all of us!
Jump on here and get it out on the table!
This thread has got to be helping someone besides me!
thanks to all !

Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have to vote for the "barely can afford gas" column. I know the thread I started the same day as Jeff's here was a lot more upbeat (Cranks, but won't start)... but there is cold hard fact behind the last 8 years from when it last had plates on it. I went through an outsourcing, almost lost the house, moved out and headed to a bigger city with more jobs and rented out the house i had just barely bought. Three years out of those 8 I did have enough money to do something - the other 5 were pretty crappy financially. Two of the 3 that I did have money, I didn't have any time. The way I got to where i am now, I put away money from last year and this last winter and refused to touch it for anything else, not new tires on the commuter, not a new roof, nothing. This spring I set a goal of getting it street legal and safe (mirrors, turn signals, tail lights, head lights) - nothing more, no interior, no paint... Well pluggin away at it I found I had enough for carpet and headliner so have added those to the list. I borrowed money from myself as it were (just not 401k, I borrowed it from the pool I am saving to replace the commuter, put tires on the commuter, etc - my car maintenance fund). I think you'd have to be flat rich to not do a little "Rob Peter to pay Paul" on these projects (and if you are that loaded, you hire someone to do all the work and aren't posting here).

Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I changed the title a bit. I think this is an eye opener for all of us!
Jump on here and get it out on the table!
This thread has got to be helping someone besides me!
thanks to all !
Jeff, I really thinks it helps. Like I stated in my previous post, it's not that it makes me feel better that some one else is suffering, it's just good to know others are in the same boat. I'm not the only one who can't buy the new set of tires for my baby or another luxury item.

I go on discussion boards and to me it seems like everyone is zooming along on their projects and I'm being left behind no matter how hard I work. Now I don't feel like such loser, there are others in the same situation. Again, it's not because I want to see how bad, or worse, others have it. It's just good to know I'm not alone. It's a little less depressing.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Separating your personal life from your truck life is indeed a difficult challenge. The best you can do is to suppress the negative feelings by keeping active on things you enjoy doing. Motivation comes in waves and when inspiration comes knocking, ride that wave with a vengeance. Progress begets move drive and determination; it’s the stuff that dreams are made of.

Dismembering a truck is the easy part. Putting it back together, well, that’s a horse of a different color and I hate to see you end up a basket case (pun intended).

Many of us set our goals too high; we may aspire to the types of trucks we see on display at car shows but few of us have the talent or means to achieve that end. Therefore, a plan is essential. Determine what you will be happy with based on your skill level and available monies.

Picture it in mind and that day will come. We’ll be here to help. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
One thing I have found is that if your rob Peter to pay Paul to put a smile on your face, it is worth while and in my personal opinion a good idea from time to time. Banks cringe when I tell em that...but real people get it. My wife and I have a few things we do to focus on life rather than work like take yearly mandatory vacations together. It is planned in the yearly budget...even if it is only a weekend camping trip a half hour from home.

With my vehicles I am easily overwhelmed and get depressed as a result. I think we can all say that was the case at some point. I also tend to not discuss much about my build cause I am slow and people lose interest or forget. I will say that at the time, the '49 was a big project for me but with help and just putting one foot in front of the other we got it where it is today. It's not done, just a mobile work in progress.

Another thing that used to get me down was comparing myself (personally, financially, anything) to anyone else. It's not good to do anyways, as it can build resentment and anger if left unchecked. Especially when you are like me and you internalize everything. To turn things around literally, I started lending a hand. Rather than look at my neighbors yard that hasnt been cut in a month and wonder why, I fire up my Briggs and go to work. It never mattered what it was, I was the first in line to lend a hand if I physically could. The joy that came about from that was amazing...almost felt self serving. I still help people often...very often. Only now I block time out for whatever I need to do also. I still work 60-70 hours a week, I still tend to my house, and my grandpas house...but in my spare time I stry to do as much for my fellow man as I can so when I do get some free time I am charged and ready to wrench.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,111 Likes on 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by edzakory
Separating your personal life from your truck life is indeed a difficult challenge. The best you can do is to suppress the negative feelings by keeping active on things you enjoy doing. Motivation comes in waves and when inspiration comes knocking, ride that wave with a vengeance. Progress begets move drive and determination; it’s the stuff that dreams are made of.

Dismembering a truck is the easy part. Putting it back together, well, that’s a horse of a different color and I hate to see you end up a basket case (pun intended).

Many of us set our goals too high; we may aspire to the types of trucks we see on display at car shows but few of us have the talent or means to achieve that end. Therefore, a plan is essential. Determine what you will be happy with based on your skill level and available monies.

Picture it in mind and that day will come. We’ll be here to help. Good luck.
Thanks for those words of wisdom, I'm quilty of the above and the wife has been telling me so. I sometimes forget that I'm building this truck for myself and not the on lookers.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I am envious of you guys that have wives in your corner supporting your efforts. I have no wife. Can't seem to find a woman that wants to stick around for more than a year or so. I have been in Oklahoma for 12 years now and had 4 girlfriends that didn't last more than a year or so each. Sometimes I wonder if it's more a blessing than a curse but most of the time, when I am alone, I feel depressed and lonely. Whats left of my family is in RI or TX. No relatives live close to me.

Looking at my truck the last few weeks I have been feeling guilty and running myself down for not working on it. I have to remember that I don't do well with physical labor in 105° F. plus temps. Once the temps get below mid 90s I should be able to get back out and hit it again. I have been compiling my punch list and considering that I have owned this truck for 25 years the progress I have made in the last 3 years is great.

The engine shop told me they won't dyno my 289 with the aluminum bell housing I found so I am trying to talk them into at least doing the cam break-in and initial run-up and tune without connecting the dyno. I am waiting to hear from them about it. Once I get the engine back there will be no excuse for any lack of progress. Some of the things I have done to my truck have not turned out the way I thought they would but I have adapted and I believe that when completed the truck will be close to what I want it to be. I am settling for having it running and safe and will worry about how it looks later when I can afford the paint and body work.

I know that my problems are not as bad as others but they are still my problems and sometimes they get overwhelming. I have had this really bad outlook on life since my mother passed away. Sometimes I wonder why even bother, I am just going to die anyways. It's times like that when I have to turn to my friends for encouragement and I am really lucky to have a few good ones close to me who know me well enough that I can call at any time to talk.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever wondered if you messed up badly in your previous life and this was the place they said you'd go to? Life can be very trying and a struggle. Sometimes I wonder.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I haven't posted yet... lack of time... but I read it all today. It showed me something that I'd forgotten... everyone EVERYONE has problems worse than me... I am truly blessed... now mind you, I've got limited resourses... had some life altering experiences that were unforseen and the truck sat patiently waiting... sometimes for years until things got better... everyone here has heard my stories.

There is a country song ... "sounds like life to me" by Daryl Worley... I've adopted that as my theme. Of all the bad stuff that's come my way (and it ain't nuthin compared to what some of you guys have to deal with) I just try to remember the good things in my life... that things change... I'm still vertical... and relatively healthy. My family is ok... my cancer surviving grandson can hug me and tell me he loves me... life is good.. My goal was the 2000 supernats... well, we know how that went !...

Try to focus on the positive things you have in your life... you have a wife that supports you... you have a son that I'm sure loves you even though he lights up occasionally. Find the things you can take joy in and wallow in them... the fishing trip sounds like a step. Getting him involves as suggested above might be another one.

Work on your truck when time/cash permit... hell man, this ain't no race.. I'm a poster child for that thinking ! I'm glad you came here to vent. I know from personal experience that there isn't a man,woman or child on this board that won't support you... help you... encourage you and get you where you need to be. We've all been where you are... to some degree... our problems are always the worst in the world to us... or seem to be at the time. Just like in the movie "NEMO" just keep swimming...just keep swimming... when it gets to much... give a holler... this bunch will holler back. It's what families do.

Don't know if there is a thing I can do physically to help you... but if there is... all you got to do is ask...

good luck and keep moving forward at something.. don't know if you're the praying kind... but I am and I'll put your name on my list...

later
John

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are wise words John... Thanks!

I too have had many ups and downs in life. I walked away from faith and now am walking back and it has helped me. I don't preach to others but it has helped me. I have been blessed to meet the perfect partner in life (after a not so perfect first attempt) and we'll be married three years in mid-October. I knew right away she was the one when I found out her Dad was a Ford dealer! The stability has allowed things to be much better for me and I'm very optimistic about the future now. In our world today we talk alot about keeping in shape physically but keeping in shape mentally is also very important. People are often afraid to admit they have a problem like depression. Talking about it and not keeping it inside is good therapy so this has been a great thread. No... we are not alone out there!

My Father-In-Law is semi-retired now from the car business and I'm hoping with his help that some of my Ford truck projects will get on track. I was the classic not pay attention to your Dad kid so my mechanical ability would probably be graded a C. It would be nice to find some fellow Ford truck lovers to work with to push the projects along. I plan on taking some steps soon to get organized in my projects so hopefully I'll be reporting progress here soon.

Take care everyone!

Rob

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff
Borrowing money from the 401K isn't as bad as having to give your ex-wife half of it in court cause she didn't use her college education to get a good job!! Your son smoking pot isn't as bad as having mom convince him not to speak to you for 4 years. Money is money, it comes and goes, but how do you make up for time lost? I didn't even get to see either of my children graduate high school

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I know what you mean about divorce and kids...I have been divorced twice. kids with both. And the giving up half the 401k, because of ex not having a job(she also has a 4 year degree,I don't have any degree) well job or not, still have to give it up...i don't have too much trouble with getting the kids, but its only every other weekend, And if I want them anymore than that, its battle time...Holidays? supposed to be alternating? her idea of alternating is, she gets them 1rst, I get them whenever she decides...oh, and calling law enforcement to help? Waste of time...this post could go on forever, but it doesn't do you or me any good, so...
My kids are getting old enough, now, to know who is closer to being in the right. All I can do is wait for the day where the kids tell her that she is wacko! and that day will come. No doubt about it, the BIG D is not any fun! All you can do is try....thanks for sharing!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Ex's... wow... my daughter invited her mother to her HS graduation and then had the nerve to call her after all the other times she bailed on our daughter, and told her she wasn't going to make. Last minute mind ya... Since then my daughter has told her mom off a couple of times... She's glad that I went to court and have had custody of her for the last 18 years... Her mother been messed up with drugs for the past 10 years... I feel your pain, Brother!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Since this has been relabled the "Vent" thread here's my rant that has been affecting my old vehicle hobby, both time and money.

Ex's sound like bad news, my problem isn't my wife, she's propably one of the smartest and hardest working people I've ever known. My, our, problem is with her parents. I wrote a long diatribe about the financial problems this lame brain couple have gotten us into but I erased it because after reading it I thought it was way too long and boaring to post. Let's just say money and time I should be devoting to my family and business are being spent on trying to keep this finacial mess they created afloat.

One thing I will give my in-laws is that they might be on the verge of doing something they wanted to do 24 years ago, split wife and myself up.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The length of this thread just shows how we all are hurting these days. The job's report came out today and NO jobs were added to the work force last month. Of course the stock market slid. Glad I don't have money in it. But it's been a month and a half and three interviews later still no job. I know so many of you having trouble finishing your trucks, but least you have something to work on. I finished mine last spring. You may think that's great,but now with nothin to do but hope for work, I wish I had the truck to work on to take up all this free time. Just trying keep my chin up. As John Lennon wrote "life is what happens to you while you were busy making other plans" Trying to concentrate on the postive things in my life, hope you all can do the same. Venting complete !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I borrowed money from my 401k....please vent here!